Model Cars Magazine Forum

Boss 302

aksarben

Hi all,

here is my take on a modern Boss 302.

Jada kit

homemade decals

modified aftermarket resin wheels

scratchbuilt engine details (intake, crossmember)

Testors Bright Yellow

Clear coat

I love the Jada kit, I will probably build a couple more of these in different schemes.

Here are more photos.

Boss 302

Questions, comments welcome.

Steve

100_4133.jpg

100_4131.jpg

100_4147.jpg

100_4153.jpg

100_4155.jpg

100_4128.jpg

100_4123.jpg

Edited by aksarben

Thanks everyone.

Here are the wheels I used..

RESIN WHEELS

I highly recommend them, they are very nice. Perfect castings.

I only had to trim down the outside diameter a bit to get them to fit the tires I used, I utilized some parts box trim rings as well.

Stewart, most of the filters I use are scratch built using actual paper strips or cut up paint bottle lids (with the filter type grooves).

Kaleb, the interior is actually cheap dollar store no name flat black spray paint. I noticed that it's not completely flat and has a sort of "satiny" sheen to it so thought that it would be great for interiors, I guess that was a good call.

Thanks.

Steve

Edited by aksarben

Nice work, excellent concept and execution! ;)

I am also a big fan of the Jada kits...well, all except the Corvette that had caricature-proportions. I was dying for a GT500, nothing to be found (at the time) from Revell, and then when I saw how good the Jada kits were I built my GT500 and never even bothered to buy/build the Revell kit when it (finally) came out.

Very nice build! Lots of good imagination and update of parts. One very large thing hits me about this though and it bothers me about a lot of these new retro cars. I think that you missed the point of the original Boss Mustangs. They were homolgation specials for Can Am and Trans Am racing. I have seen a lot of the original Boss Mustangs and lusted after them when they were new. These cars were strippers! If it didn't make the car go faster or handle better it went away. The originals had rubber floor mats, no upholstery on the doors, basic racing seats and sure as heck, no cup holders. Music systems were deleted and there was a back seat delete option. The instruments were large and legible. No trim rings on the rims.

At any rate, your model is very nice and follows the current trend in retro cars. I just wish someone would do the darn things in manner that lived up to the intent of the originals. In other words, something that you can slap a roll cage in and go racing. Probably would not sell well, but then neither did the originals which is why there are not a whole lot of them left.

Ok, grandpa is done and will come in off the front porch and stop yelling at the kids on the front lawn! :lol: Keep building em like you like them.

Edited by Pete J.

I love that you went with the early '69 "C" stripes

Thanks, I think they fit the style of the new Mustang better.

How about a modern take on the Twister Special as a follow-up to this one? :rolleyes:

Cool idea, then the Boss 429, the Mach 1. I could get carried away..

Pete J.

Sorry Pete, I was just looking for something interesting for my next project, I'll strip the back seats, door panels etc. whatever I can out of it as soon as posible, kidding. Good points though and thanks for your comments.

Steve

Edited by aksarben

Very nice build! Lots of good imagination and update of parts. One very large thing hits me about this though and it bothers me about a lot of these new retro cars. I think that you missed the point of the original Boss Mustangs. They were homolgation specials for Can Am and Trans Am racing. I have seen a lot of the original Boss Mustangs and lusted after them when they were new. These cars were strippers! If it didn't make the car go faster or handle better it went away. The originals had rubber floor mats, no upholstery on the doors, basic racing seats and sure as heck, no cup holders. Music systems were deleted and there was a back seat delete option. The instruments were large and legible. No trim rings on the rims.

At any rate, your model is very nice and follows the current trend in retro cars. I just wish someone would do the darn things in manner that lived up to the intent of the originals. In other words, something that you can slap a roll cage in and go racing. Probably would not sell well, but then neither did the originals which is why there are not a whole lot of them left.

Ok, grandpa is done and will come in off the front porch and stop yelling at the kids on the front lawn! :P Keep building em like you like them.

There are plenty of kits on the store shelves. I almost got a 2007 Shelby for just that purpose, but I currently have a lot of Mustangs already in the queue, and all of them will be race cars in one form or another. Wait 'till you see what I do to my '65 R-Model. :unsure:

BTW, my last real 1:1 Mustang was a 65 fastback with a *factory* dual-quad intake (matched Carter carbs running suicide linkage) on a massaged 302, toploader 4-speed, Hurst short-throw shifter, 9-inch gusseted rear end with 31-spine axles, aluminum drive shaft, and disc brakes all around. The interior was gutted, and only contained two non-adjustable fiberglass racing seats, a roll cage, and 5-point racing harnesses (I didn't even have the rubber matts or a glovebox door). All removable body panels were replaced with fiberglass components, including the rear bumper (I had a r-model front facia on it). I completely rebuilt the mechanicals myself (including front end, tranny, and rear end). The really cool thing about it was that it was my daily driver. It wasn't built for drag racing, but when I took it up to OCIR (before they shut it down), it turned low 13's in the 1/4-mile - on pump gas and street tires.

As you can see, I'm of the same frame of mind as you. :D

Edited by jsimmons