Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1966 and 1969 GTO

Stang88

I've built both kits. The '66, being a newer kit, is better engineered. Pieces fit very well and assembles into a pretty nice model. I'd agree with the others about the '69. It's a much simpler kit to assemble, but is a pretty good representation of the actual car. It is an older kit and has been repopped a couple of times.013.jpg

so there was a revell 66 GTO known as the "Royal Pontiac" and it came with a tiger figure.

is this the same basic kit as the 66 GTO mentioned above?

any history would be appreciated!

heres a link to an ebay auction for the Royal GTO:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Revell-ROYAL-PONTIAC-66-GTO-1-25-/220963331785?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337270dec9

$(KGrHqV,!lEE8385ivKkBPS(0+y5+w~~60_12.JPG

It would have been really nice if they were all in the same scale. I have the '66 in 1/25 but both the '64 and '69 are 1/24

That's because the '66 is a Revell kit, and the '64 and '69 are older Monogram kits. Revell stuck with 1/25 while Monogram did 1/24. Revell aquired the molds after the Monogram aquisition and now produces both. It would be too costly to re-tool and make new molds of older kits into a slightly smaller scale. The kits would probably be better like the newer Revell kits though. Edited by The70judgeman

It would have been really nice if they were all in the same scale. I have the '66 in 1/25 but both the '64 and '69 are 1/24

You could always pick up the reissued 1/25 AMT/Model King '69 GTO Judge Funny Car kit and use the stock body as a starting point for a 1/25 scale '69 and '68 GTO. ^_^

amt-1969-pontiac-gto-judge-funny-car.jpg

Edited by Casey

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have the instruction sheet for this one on line?

$(KGrHqV,!lEE8385ivKkBPS(0+y5+w~~60_12.JPG

Did a search and wasn't able to find any.

Very hard to come by and IF you happen to find one...be prepared to pay some bucks for it. I have one that I just dug out and stripped. The decals may not be any good either, but I still have the driver figure dressed as a tiger. And NO I'm not going to sell or trade it. The instruction sheet should be the same as any other '66 GTO by Revell...except for the decal placement. Edited by The70judgeman

The years that I can't find in GTO are 71 73 and 74. If anybody know anything about if these kits are out there please let me know

There were a few MPC '71s, but I don't think any were stock: http://ultimategto.com/modbox7.htm

No kit has been made of the Colonade bodystyle '73 GTO, and probably never will be. MPC did annual Pontiac Ventura kits Including '71-'72 Sprints), so the '72 kit or the resin cast body from Jimmy Flintstone is about as close as you'll come to a '74. More info here: http://ultimategto.com/modbox8.htm

• 5 years later...
1 hour ago, Watertown said:

The ’69 kit, as mentioned, is simplified, but produces a nice end result. One caution, however, avoid the molded-in-orange version if you can, as that kit can pose some paint opacity issues.

Unless, of course, you're going to paint it Carousel Red. B)

I hunted down an orange one just because I want to do one for my Polished Plastic collection. 

• 7 months later...
On 3/3/2018 at 3:59 PM, Casey said:

Looks like the Revell '66 GTO is finally available:

rev66gto.thumb.jpg.8d8d7da10495aefdaa3724933187898a.jpg

As an FYI, this latest reissue DOES include the Hurst mags from the earlier Royal Pontiac version, even though they're not mentioned anywhere on the box.

Old Revell was terrible about promoting optional parts/alternate versions on their box packaging. Why would you want to give the buyer more motivation to buy your product? (and there are many more examples besides this)

Edited by Robberbaron

Funny this topic got resurrected, I just picked up the '69 kit at the Phoenix swap meet.  My neighbor friend found an abandoned car on the Navajo Reservation, and restored it.  Told his wife, asked for any pictures of it in that condition, so I can build a *before* version.

On 3/3/2018 at 6:57 PM, Watertown said:

... One caution, however, avoid the molded-in-orange version if you can, as that kit can pose some paint opacity issues.

What is that issue?  It's not bleed through, correct?  What's the difference compared to white?  I always paint flat black inside so light doesn't shine through.