Model Cars Magazine Forum

Toyota 2000gt "Spider California"

m3fan

This one was inspired by a rendition I saw in a japanese model mag done by Steve Stanford. I started with the Hasegawa kit, removed the roof, added the "bullet" from a Mercedes 300 slr. The front windshield was ground down to what I thought looked right and the side windows are sheet acetate.

Thanks for lookingpost-5747-0-46484400-1336241774_thumb.jppost-5747-0-98757900-1336241796_thumb.jppost-5747-0-18131100-1336241833_thumb.jppost-5747-0-86014200-1336241850_thumb.jppost-5747-0-41076300-1336241877_thumb.jp

This one is just incredible beautifull. Like Brigitte Bardot in the late '60s.

Some automotive history:

The Toyota 2000 spider was never series produced, but are a showcar only, made for the James Bond Movie You Only Live Twice. Two were made specially for the film. However, they did not have roofs, just an upholstered hump at the rear of the cabin to simulate a folded top, and therefore were not really true convertibles.

Most 2000 was painted white, or red, but beside the movie cars, the two golden Toyota 2000's made for the Tokyo Motorshow might be most famous street cars(Toyota also entered some cars in racing). One of these was given to british supermodel Twiggy, and later it ended back with Toyota.

Check this link: http://www.studiotimecapsule.com/restoration_of_twiggys_toyota_2000gt

From what I have learned, Twiggy didn't have a license when she got the car, but here I might be wrong.

Really beautiful build. One of my favorite cars. I love the lines of the original and you did justice with your modifications. I have a few 2000gt kits in my stash and plan to build a stock version and one with modifications to the few parts of the car I don't care for - the front end and the skinny tires.

This is a great build and it's nice to see, and look, at something different and built well.

Edited by Erik Smith

This one is just incredible beautifull. Like Brigitte Bardot in the late '60s.

Some automotive history:

The Toyota 2000 spider was never series produced, but are a showcar only, made for the James Bond Movie You Only Live Twice. Two were made specially for the film. However, they did not have roofs, just an upholstered hump at the rear of the cabin to simulate a folded top, and therefore were not really true convertibles.

Most 2000 was painted white, or red, but beside the movie cars, the two golden Toyota 2000's made for the Tokyo Motorshow might be most famous street cars(Toyota also entered some cars in racing). One of these was given to british supermodel Twiggy, and later it ended back with Toyota.

Check this link: http://www.studiotimecapsule.com/restoration_of_twiggys_toyota_2000gt

From what I have learned, Twiggy didn't have a license when she got the car, but here I might be wrong.

Wow, that was quite the website, he does some impressive work too!