Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why Did I Buy This?

The recently reissued AMT 55 Corvette, it was at Hobby Lobby on clearance for $7 and I still feel slightly cheated. The only one I can remember that was worse was the 69 Daytona that AMT had out a few years ago, I bought it at full price and was very upset that they would waste my money and their time by dusting off those wretched molds. I try to do my homework on kits before buying one, especially with their price now, but I still get bitten overy once in a while.

Just had a 'why did I buy this' moment with the AMT '76 Gremlin. As much as I like the 1:1 Gremlin, the deeper I dug into the AMT kit, the less I liked it. Still managed to make something out of it, but I doubt I'll be picking up another one any time soon.

When this showed up I really truely said "what in the heck?" Has there ever been a more bland car, or model? However, after sitting in the pile for a few years, I drug it out, put on some baby D'zs, and its looking pretty good!

y2krevell00.jpg

even the ancient Lindberg kits have clear and accurate photos of the built kit, right on the box top. if the box has photos of a built model, then at least ONE person has been able to build it correctly and be otherwise satisfied with it. heck; even some Palmer kits can be built to look somewhat decent.....

impulse buying is what MADE model cars such a big success in the '70's.... every store from Sears down to Quik-E mart had models in it, even our local Kings grocery store had them, on an end cap near the checkout lines, right there for kids to pester their moms for a couple of bucks for..... shelling out 20-30 bucks for something on IMPULSE today is out of the question.

i've been to the local HobbyTown several times recently and found NOTHING worth shelling out 30 bucks for..... NOTHING, not even the new Moebius Chrysler, which i already have a kit of, but would buy another.

even the ancient Lindberg kits have clear and accurate photos of the built kit, right on the box top. if the box has photos of a built model, then at least ONE person has been able to build it correctly and be otherwise satisfied with it. heck; even some Palmer kits can be built to look somewhat decent.....

impulse buying is what MADE model cars such a big success in the '70's.... every store from Sears down to Quik-E mart had models in it, even our local Kings grocery store had them, on an end cap near the checkout lines, right there for kids to pester their moms for a couple of bucks for..... shelling out 20-30 bucks for something on IMPULSE today is out of the question.

i've been to the local HobbyTown several times recently and found NOTHING worth shelling out 30 bucks for..... NOTHING, not even the new Moebius Chrysler, which i already have a kit of, but would buy another.

heck mostly everything I have is on impulse, lol .... I went out for a drive one day, and came home with my 1:1 Camaro. I cant go near a hobby shop without grabbing at least 1 kit, that I want to build, or can use for parts.

I dont do this with kits anymore for the most part, but I will for everything model related at times, and I did it this past weekend, I bought cans of Model Master spray paint that I have no need for, well ok one of them I do, but I still have plenty of one of the colors I bought already .