Model Cars Magazine Forum

There's a fine line in this hobby between fun and torment.....

Well maybe not torment, that's a bit harsh, but you get what i mean. This is true especially if you're the OCD type. I guess it's true with any hobby, but there is certainly a break point where perfection can take the fun out of building. The trick is to pull yourself back and remember it's never going to be perfect (is it??)

john

Another thing to be taken into consideration is the fact that there will always be another kit to build . Unlike a 1 : 1 build , you're not stuck with the results for all time . You make mistakes on a model car , learn from them , and then move forward to the next build !

Build a firm foundation , the only place to go is upward and onward , skillwise from there !

So true fellows. Just today I screwed up the paint on a mild custom Buick I am building. To heavy of a wet coat. You know what happened. Got it sanded and repainted fine. These things happen. Used to make me angry but in my old age now I just tell myself "I screwed up " and fix it.

This is all true. I just wish I could figure out how come it is that a part that requires two or more identical parts to be put on (taillights, outside mirrors, spinners on wheels etc., etc) never works out as smoothly on the second one as it did on the first..........

My answer for the OP's question would be to build a kit once in a while as "strictly for fun. I built the AMT Super Coupe years ago just for this reason. The only thing I changed on it was the tires and wheels from the Testor's Coupster kit, parts box taillights and painted it gloss black with a light coat of Duplicolor Mystic paint over it. It really sparkles in the sunlight. It was the funnest build I've done in a long time and turned out pretty good, IMHO.

Edit---I just noticed that the front tires are backwards. There goes that fine line again. I QUIT!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!

DSCN1870.jpg

DSCN1871.jpg

DSCN1876.jpg

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

I think this reasoning is probably why most builders have so many ongoing projects at the same time. They loose perspective on what they are doing so they put it away and start on something new for a new perspective until that one starts to go away. And so on and so on. Eventually something gets finished but sometimes you have to take the long road to get there.

I go back and forth, from model cars, to armor, to ships, and then to RC boats, and then my RC car, and then my rockets, and then my trains. Its a vicious cycle. I fly rockets at least once a month, and I build and maintain my rockets as such. I work on models as I have time, so I may be working on my train layout, a car, a tank, and a ship, all at one time. I don't have time for burnout.

I say "Get over it" and move on. I will never have the perfect model! It's nice to look back at my mistakes and to have the will power NOT to fix them. (Although this is hard to do in reality). A friend does two "re-dos" for every one new build. They never come out perfect the second time either, why not just start a new one? He has a very large stash, as most of us probably do, and we are not getting any younger. so what are we saving them for? Or maybe, let's trade and "re-do" each other's. Bottom line.....Just have fun!

This is so true! I have to keep reminding myself that this is what I do to enjoy myself. I find myself thinking that I have to do this or that just perfect because people that know me, know that I'm able too. I'm always fearing that phrase of "you should have" or "why didn't you". Because of this my builds drag on and on and I end up never finishing them for fear of them not turing out the best they can be. :(

nice build wayne :) very good of coarse the tires but i didn't notice until you told...LOL :lol: here is my mistake that know one want to say

post-10085-0-51428100-1340581990.jpg

post-10085-0-23160200-1340582016.jpg

post-10085-0-59746000-1340582044.jpg wright now I am working on a 32 hope I hope I don't make any mistakes...; but if i do :P oh!well! say raw say raw

I'm glad other builders feel the same way - Perfectionism is a double edge sword. Envy is a bad one too - i'm always looking at other builders and their work in total amazement, then I look at my work and say "it'll never be that good". There are some amazing builders here for sure - just glad to be a part of it all -

I get ticked off sometimes when something doesn't turn out exactly like I had hoped. I have as 76 Camaro right now that fits that build description. Or the 69 GTO that I was really happy with and then I saw the "O" decal in GTO must have slid down so the decal looks crooked...the O is a half letter low. I'll fix it but it frustrated me. So yeah, I get it !! I totally get it....

I still enjoy this more than any other activity.

I learned a long long long time ago, none are ever going to be that perfect build. Or as detailed as some of the great builders on here as an example. Although I would love to be at that level,,,,,I simply don't have the patiance or the time to do it. Not to mention my eyes or my fingers want to work as well as they did 25 years ago so thats a factor as well.

Realizing before hand that mistakes ARE going to be made makes it an easier decision to live ' with ' them or ' fix ' them .

Just last week I painted 4 Lindberg 1964 Dodge bodies, 2 went in the to be stripped pile ( but to be honest they probably just become parts kits for other projects) ,, , the other 2 came out pretty decent.

Add in I lost interest to compete in model contests. So I build them to the level where I think I will be happy with them. Making them as accurate as I can,,,,, 'within a reasonable effort'.

Put them on the shelf and move on to the next one.

I restore the full size cars so model bench time is limited to maybe an hour or two during the week and maybe a couple hours on the weekends , maybe more during winter months when Car show / swap meet season dies down

Plus, My daughter has taken an interest in building so I want to mentor that as well.( she's 12 )

Edited by gtx6970

Modeling to me is like golf. The better you get, the more frustrating it becomes, the more anxiety it creates. I can shoot 69 on the golf course and I'm frustrated the entire day. I hit no fewer good shots nor any less bad shots than the guy who shoots 85. Its just that my definition of good and bad is quite higher. With models I used to buy a kit and build it right out of the box in a week or two. Didn't sand seams, added no extra details, etc. And when they were done I thought they were just fantastic. Now that I'm better I sweat every little detail. Once you see what some guys can accomplish it makes you very frustrated that you can't quite do as good a job. But like with golf, if it weren't stressful and frustrating, I wouldn't enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

a long time ago I started to get serious with my builds back in the 90's started with a jps Mk 111 after market this aftermarket that on to the car,.And this kit was a 1_12 scale so I thought everything came out very good until I wanted some clear went to my local hobby shop and they tell me they didn't have any clear they gave me a bottle of clear and the sales people ask me if I had an airbrush to put the clear on,funny at the time only thing I herd was you have a brush.I said of coarse i did so I bought the bottle of clear went home as quickest I can and started applying the clear with the brush start to be great until my decals started too roll or some people call peel.Did everything what I can to lay back the decal, I even try to mak-up the torn parts by testers paint no matching of the paint.....I was sooooooo mad at myself about this happen to me I went back and talk to the people that sold me the product and they told me that I needed an airbrush not a regular brush,again sooooooooo mad and frustrated at my self.I looked at it i said fine!!!! Went quietly to the dumpster and was glad to get rid of it even i put out at the time over one hundred dollars in to it i wash my hands and just relax after all that and i did and bought a John Woods 37 Chevy panel truck with yellow skirts and a green cab.

all that my 37 came out pretty nice :)

best part about this hobby is the set backs and how you fix them

here is one of my biggest set backs

utf-8BSU1HMDAxODMtMjAxMTAyMjAtMjA0NC5qcGc.jpg

i had a vision for this car

it was going to be owned by a 16 year old kid, still in highschool

it was one of those cars where if you only had enough money for a new carb or to recover the front seat youd go with the carb since the seats didnt make you any faster

the car would have rust spots, a mismatched hood, faded yellow paint and steelies

with maybe a build 440 in it

well, you can imagine how heart broken i was when i first laid down the paint, it was by far the best paintjob i had ever done, there was NO WAY i would give this the junker treatment

so now i had to completly change my approach to this car and it ended up being a por-touring style build

along the same lines i just installed the perfect glass yesterday

it looks the best glass has ever looked on one of my models

every pillar is glued on, it fits perfectly and it is immaculate

and this is the body it went in

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNzItMjAxMTA1MTUtMTc0MC5qcGc.jpg