Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ebay morality question

About two weeks ago I bought a kit off of ebay through a buy it now auction, there were a couple available but I only got one. A few days later the kit showed up as planned, everything was good so I left positive feedback and recieved the same. A few days later another identical kit showed up with the print out from the same sale as the last kit. I messaged the seller telling them they had accidentally sent me a second kit but that I had not opened it and work with them to return it and to please contact me. That was a week ago, I haven't heard anything from the seller at all. How much obligation am I under to return this kit? I don't want to eat the shipping cost as it's not my fault that it was sent here and I haven't been able to establish contact with the seller again. It's not a valuable kit, if the seller was to send me the shipping to send it back he would only clear about five bucks on it when it sells so he may be just washing his hands of it.

Take it to the Post Office, have them mark it "REFUSED" or "RETURN TO SENDER", and it's done. As long as you have not opened it, it can be returned to the sender at no cost....provided it was sent via USPS.

Were you charged again for the price of the second kit? Or the shipping of the second kit?

If the seller didn't respond, you have no obligation to do anything further. You could send a report via the eBay/Paypal response system, which shows good faith and should make you sleep easy. If the seller decides he wants it back, ask him to give you a credit on your initial purchase for the return shipping amount. Verification of that will come to your email.

Otherwise, don't worry. You've done the best you can and tried to make the seller aware of the mistake.

Edited by sjordan2

A few days later another identical kit showed up with the print out from the same sale as the last kit. I messaged the seller telling them they had accidentally sent me a second kit but that I had not opened it and work with them to return it and to please contact me.

How do you know the same kit is inside the box if you didn't open it?

I opened the shipping box but when I saw it was the same kit I didn't unwrap it, these were new in the cellophane.

Ah, I see. It wasn't clear to me which box was opened. Disregard my earlier comment, since you can no longer do what I suggested. -_-

I would just keep it as is for another week or so, and await a response from the seller.

Guest Johnny

If you opened the shipping box then you will have to pay return shipping.

Hobbylinc did that with me once and I was told it was their their mistake and to just keep it as it would cost them more to pay the return postage than the kit was worth.

Which once you figure the cost to ship it to me too they were right.

If you contacted this person only once I myself would give it another go. If no responce and you can't return it with no cost to yourself I would just keep it. You can only do so much. Maybe you could sell it and then just write a check and mail the check to them ?

Contact the seller again, tell them that on xyz date that you contacted them about duplicate merchandise sent to the same address in error. Tell them that you do not intend to pay for the second kit, if the seller responds expecting this involve eBay quickly. Next give them a deadline to respond, tell them that if they do not respond by your deadline you will consider the merchandise a gift; you fulfilled your end of the auction.

I would not eat the shipping to make this right with the seller it is clearly their error. If they do not respond in a timely manner then the merchandise at some point is pretty much considered abandoned, which is why you gave them the deadline. Keep all corrispondence including any emails, shipping documents included with the second package (and first if you're lucky).

If the seller gives you any guff threaten to involve eBay then follow through with it. It probably is a mistake, but treat it as if it is not. The seller may be trying to generate additional money from you figuring you bought the first one maybe you'll pop for a second.

All I can say is ....wow. I'm really impressed to see someone actually debating the relative morality of a small issue like this. I certainly wish it would happen more often. So many times, people tend to sweep a small windfall under the rug (like getting an extra $10 in change at the store and not saying anything about it), in the hopes no one will notice. How nice to see someone who actually wants to do the right thing. Bravo.

When I opened a package once it had two kits not one . So I sent a message off to the seller even offering to pay for the second kit . They responded (in days not weeks ) to just keep the kit it was not worth it charge me again. I it nice to see other people have a Conscience on this forum.