Model Cars Magazine Forum

'66 VW Bug Ragtop

volksrods

This absolutlly ROCK'S !!!!!!!!! Love the finish, the top, the detail, and the STANCE.... Never anything toooo LOOOOOOOW!

REALLY-REALLY NICE!!! Thank's for showing this.

You're choice in the wheel's work;s well with the ride.....

MICHAELJ...

Edited by MichaelJ

Another beautiful bug build. The camber on the rear is a nice touch.....exactly how these look when lowered hard on stock swing-axles.

I'd also like to know how you did the folding roof insert. I've got a Ford rat I'm wanting to do something similar on, and yours is perfect.

Thanks everyone. I'm glad you liked it :)

Very cool, those Tamiya VW's are gorgeous. How did you go about working w/ the black lines around the fenders? A lot of people forget this little issue.

Thanks Marcos. Yes fender rubbers are usually overlooked. I cut Tamiya masking tape into narrow width pieces and painted them black. Then applied them around the fenders.

Nice job on that, especially the canvas roof. The beater-Beetle is pretty cool, too.

What did you use for that, or was it a kit-supplied part?

Charlie Larkin

Thanks Charlie. I couldn't get which part are you talking about. If it is the canvas, I made it out of imitation leather.

I'd also like to know how you did the folding roof insert. I've got a Ford rat I'm wanting to do something similar on, and yours is perfect.

Thanks Bill. I cut evergreen styrene pieces and glued them to the roof. It is not functional though :)

Very nice! But where's the little vent grille under the passenger side headlight?

Thanks Harry. Unfortunately horn grill, right door handle and right running board were missing.

Beautiful work! Did you use Mustang wheels for Randars? I've done it before.

Thanks Jason. Yes wheels are from Mustang. It is a nice choice if you don't have any Fuchs, BRMs, Randars or EMPI Sprintstars. I think they quite look like South African Sprintstar which is a very rare wheel.

498560.jpg

Very nice,i love vw maggiolino!

Thanks Luca.

Maggiolino :) Is that how you call beetles in Italy. We call them Vosvos here in Turkey.

Unfortunately horn grill, right door handle and right running board were missing.

You could make copies of the door handle and horn grille. Take a small piece of clay or aluminum foil and take an impression of the existing pieces. Fill with 5-minute epoxy. When set up, pop the parts out, paint silver or foil them, and PRESTO! You have your missing parts!

Since the running boards are not identical, but right and left sides, you would have to scratchbuild the missing running board out of styrene sheet... but that shouldn't be too hard to do.