Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 328 GTS... in gunmetal?

jaymcminn

I didn't do a WIP thread for this build, which has been an on-again, off-again build for the last four months or so. I recently got a wild hair and decided to just finish the thing already. This actually turned out to be one of my cleanest builds ever.

The kit is the Hasegawa kit, which is fantastic. The detail is excellent right from the box. There is a nice photoetched fret which includes badges, mirror faces, mesh for the engine cover, and a 9-piece front grille that replaces the kit's plastic grille. The engine and exhaust are all satin-plated (although I stripped the satin plating from the engine in favor of a cast-aluminum color) as are the excellent wheels. The only non- kit details on the whole model are flocking and a piece of textured-foil heat shielding between the passenger compartment and engine bay.

I went with Tamiya light gunmetal for the paint color, which is a pretty close match for the Grigio metallic that was available on the 328. To keep the grey from looking too dull, I decided to go with a bright red interior. The red/black combo I went with was a factory combination that looks great against the gunmetal.

Anyway, on to the pics...

P1020063.jpg

P1020061.jpg

P1020066.jpg

The only drawback at all on this kit is that the engine cover is removable instead of being hinged. The cover can be glued in the opened position with an accurate set of scale hinges, however. The texture on the airbox is Make-It-Suede paint coated with semi-gloss black.

P1020075.jpg

P1020078.jpg

And finally, a pic with its "big brother"... the 288 GTO.

P1020079.jpg

Jason, your Ferrari looks fantastic in light gunmetal, and the red/black interior was an excellent choice as well. The only thing I saw that I wasn't crazy about was Hasegawa's molded spark plug wires. (Just a personal thing, not a reflection on your build).

We don't see nearly enough Hasegawa kits on here. Thanks for showing this one.

Edited by Monty

Nicely done. I am not sure which grey were you referring to about the color, as Ferrari had a bunch of them. Either way it looks really good.

I used to have one like this in 1:1, but it was red.

The only thing I would do different would be the paint on the engine. It needs to be flat aluminum. Almost grey-non metallic.

Jason, your Ferrari looks fantastic in light gunmetal, and the red/black interior was an excellent choice as well. The only thing I saw that I wasn't crazy about was Hasegawa's molded spark plug wires. (Just a personal thing, not a reflection on your build).

We don't see nearly enough Hasegawa kits on here. Thanks for showing this one.

Thanks, Monty. I went back and forth on the molded wires- they do look a bit thick, but I wanted to try something different. You'll see another Hasegawa kit pretty soon, thought- I just received the Ferrari 348tb.

Thanks for all the positive words, guys... I really appreciate the input!

Thanks, Monty. I went back and forth on the molded wires- they do look a bit thick, but I wanted to try something different. You'll see another Hasegawa kit pretty soon, thought- I just received the Ferrari 348tb.

Thanks for all the positive words, guys... I really appreciate the input!

My favorite Ferrari done well! Great work.

Rob, this is one of my favorites too- it's one of the prettiest shapes ever to take to the roads. I'd love to see Hasegawa backdate this one to a 308.

Edited by jaymcminn

Beautiful colorchoice on a fantastic car! I always loved this styling - the Hasegawa Kit is the best to build a 328. I wished, that the had the 288 GTO also in their program...

Love it! You made a great job. Not every Ferrari must be coloured in red ;) . Looks great.