Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

I'm mostly curious about that base that "turns 4 hours without batteries" ... sounds like that probably wasn't included ...

The revolving base is basically the same as used in MPC's "Tiger Shark" kit. It has a rubber band in it, and you wind it up. For lack of a better explanation, it's sorta like winding the propeller on a balsa wood model airplane.....

I think the "Dream Rod" also had a similar rotating base.

Yes, it did. I have both kits, and I think Budd "the Kat" Anderson at MPC probably took that turntable design with him when he left AMT for MPC. The AMT "Car Craft Dream Rod" kit dates back to 1964, IIRC.

I did the flooring in my Hobby Room a couple of days ago , and built some work benches today. I still need to notch the shelf for the right bench, and put it in, then hang up a couple more sheets of peg board, but overall im pretty happy with how they came out.

29038F99-0FA6-47EE-8CBD-4C4C0AE6734A_zps

Edited by mademan

I did the flooring in my Hobby Room a couple of days ago , and built some work benches today. I still need to notch the shelf for the right bench, and put it in, then hang up a couple more sheets of peg board, but overall im pretty happy with how they came out.

29038F99-0FA6-47EE-8CBD-4C4C0AE6734A_zps

Now all that's left to do is build another room for the stash......(lol!!!).....:-)

The revolving base is basically the same as used in MPC's "Tiger Shark" kit. It has a rubber band in it, and you wind it up. For lack of a better explanation, it's sorta like winding the propeller on a balsa wood model airplane.....

aha .. of course .. a rubber band! Thanks for the info. ))

I couldn't help myself! I also ordered the new Jimmy Flintstone '61 Olds 88 kit from Model Roundup.

I've wanted a '61 Olds bubble top forever & this on looks really nice.

I'm really anxious to see if it looks as good as it did on the site!

I've never bought a Flintstone kit before. Anybody have any insight? How's the quality?

Steve

I have the JF '61 Falcon Courier; looks accurate without too much flash, but the whole surface is slightly rough. I wonder if it's from the mold being dusted with talcum powder? When I build it I'll put it in a container of water and wet-sand it to avoid the resin dust.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

I've never bought a Flintstone kit before. Anybody have any insight? How's the quality?

Steve

They are usually well done shape wise and a quality resin casting job .. but rather thick. Just crank up the Dremel and grind as needed. I'd buy another.

Edited by Foxer

Recieved these three in a trade with a fellow forumite (thanks, Vince), and they're just what the doctor ordered. My true love is 20's & 30's vintage cars, and the Phaeton holds a special place in my soul, so I'm a very happy guy. Working on the Vicky already, and will be shooting primer this afternoon.

32_zpsddck1yym.jpg

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...