Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

2 more old MONOGRAM classics from eBay arrived today:

#7549 Duesenberg Town Car and #2301 1930 Packard Boat-tail Speedster.  Both original issue.  $30 for the pair (not including shipping). Already have a Packard Boat-tail but I really like that kit.

Couple of weeks ago I got #2305 1932 Cadillac V-16 Phaeton and #2308 Packard Speedster Phaeton for about the same price.  In both these auctions I was the only bidder.  Saw the Duesenberg/Boattail pair just a couple minutes before the auction ended.

Did you rob a bank? :D

Steve

Did an aquaintance a favor.  He wants to buy a Morgan but wanted to drive one first.  The dealer doesn't have a demo so I said drive ours and give me a good price on the kits he had.  Curious what you all think would be a good price on the lot?

Did an aquaintance a favor.  He wants to buy a Morgan but wanted to drive one first.  The dealer doesn't have a demo so I said drive ours and give me a good price on the kits he had.  Curious what you all think would be a good price on the lot?

Boy, I'll let your acquaintance use my car any time he wants!

I wouldn't know where to start value wise, but conservatively, the 8 Johan kits alone could be worth as much as $100.00 each......or more!

Steve

AMT Prestige kits go for 30 to 50  on Ebay

Nie, nice kit to acquire. I am curious as to how it compares to the Tamiya kit. I know that the Hasegawa kits are curbside style, but how do the body proportions compare?

Bill

Well, thanks Bill. And also I can tell the differences between these 2 kits for I did done 1 787B from Tamiya right after I see the real one in Hiroshima.

de facto, you can easily find many review for Tamiya 787b .. it's famous and really good.

Tamiya 787B is much more ..eh..abundant? I don't know how to say that..Tamiya 787B has the almost whole engine parts but the Hasegawa 767B has no engine parts.  So we called that a curbside model? I'm sorry :(I don't really know the word curbside means...

On the other hands, Tamiya 787B made the lines for the real car green stickers on the model so it going to be easy for us to paint the body. Hasegawa did not do that. All of 2 kits provide the decals for the whole car green livery.

About the body proportions I take a photo right now.. i think it looks good to me ;)

ea3900a4462309f7d5b6b472750e0cf3d6cad66c

but the Hasegawa kit all packed together in one plastic bag including transparent parts and decals with no protection.

after nearly 20 years... yellow decals! <_<

1c61e8fcc3cec3fd2f0cbf15d188d43f87942717

at last i may say Mazda belongs to Japan so as Hasegawa. I do think the hasegawa 767B is not bad at all.

This 69 Pontiac arrived from USA today. I was pleased to get it at a (fairly) affordable price but a bit disappointed to discover the roof has been very thickly brush painted. (It looked to me like a factory coat in the auction photos.) Just hope it comes off with the normal methods. I LOVE 60s Ponchos and keep telling myself that I have enough of them - but myself doesn't seem to hear.

This 69 Pontiac arrived from USA today. I was pleased to get it at a (fairly) affordable price but a bit disappointed to discover the roof has been very thickly brush painted. (It looked to me like a factory coat in the auction photos.) Just hope it comes off with the normal methods. I LOVE 60s Ponchos and keep telling myself that I have enough of them - but myself doesn't seem to hear.

1a235a2d-a35b-41ab-b745-b1afe6314f4d_zps

dc43b2bd-1b73-4b0b-8068-f5f248e74b33_zps

Peter.... That is AWESOME...!  I love this era of the big Pontiacs....great score..!

I was pleased to get it at a (fairly) affordable price but a bit disappointed to discover the roof has been very thickly brush painted. (It looked to me like a factory coat in the auction photos.) Just hope it comes off with the normal methods.

1a235a2d-a35b-41ab-b745-b1afe6314f4d_zps

That may be a problem, Peter - IIRC, the body is painted with metalflake at the factory over a solid color plastic; if you dunk it in the purple pond everything might come off. Maybe if you sealed off the rest of the body by covering it with rubber cement and put it in a shallow tray of stripper (just enough to immerse the roof), or used a few drops of brake fluid at a time?

Anyone else have an idea?

That may be a problem, Peter - IIRC, the body is painted with metalflake at the factory over a solid color plastic; if you dunk it in the purple pond everything might come off. Maybe if you sealed off the rest of the body by covering it with rubber cement and put it in a shallow tray of stripper (just enough to immerse the roof), or used a few drops of brake fluid at a time?

What if  you hand a paper towel soaked with brake fluid and had the model upside down on the towel. May be worth a try. 

If it were me....I myself would leave it like it is but if one was very very careful and taped it off really good you could just wipe a small rag with some thinner very carefully till the vinyl top paint is pretty much gone using a rag that is only kind of damp instead of soaked so it does not run down to the rest of it..???

Got my order from Modelhaus from summer 2015. Restore parts for around 30 cars and the 65 & 67 Impala station wagons. In order

to organize the restore projects i bought the white boxes from Ikea,solid cardboard with metal framed lid. Also has a nice plate for if you 

want to tag the content. These easy room 4 full size 60s cars each. I think i paid $2 each. 

Thanks Christopher, Andy and Mark for your ideas. Since I intend to repaint, foil and detail the promo, I will be soaking all the paint off, re-plating the chrome and starting from scratch as if it were a kit. I just hope all that white (probably Testors enamel) will do the right thing and disappear.

Here's a promo I re-did a couple of years ago:

Edited by peekay

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...