Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Mail man dropped this off today!

It's a mixture of newer & vintage parts from the original annual & the "USA Oldies" kits.

I bought it mostly because it included the up-top.

Got it fairly cheap anyway.

The chrome is all from the newer kit which means it won't need re-chroming, so this one may jump the line a bit & get built soon.

I already have colors & engine picked out.

It will be "Luminous Brown" with a black top, the cross ram 413 wedge engine from the AMT '49 Merc kit, and a set of Torq Thrust wheels.

Not completely stock, but not too far off.

Steve

photo DSCN4947_zpsn4zst4va.jpg

Very nice,

These cars were so ugly, they're cool .

There were a few 62 Dodge builders on eBay last week with the up top included.

Mail man dropped this off today!

It's a mixture of newer & vintage parts from the original annual & the "USA Oldies" kits.

I bought it mostly because it included the up-top.

Got it fairly cheap anyway.

The chrome is all from the newer kit which means it won't need re-chroming, so this one may jump the line a bit & get built soon.

I already have colors & engine picked out.

It will be "Luminous Brown" with a black top, the cross ram 413 wedge engine from the AMT '49 Merc kit, and a set of Torq Thrust wheels.

Not completely stock, but not too far off.

Steve

photo DSCN4947_zpsn4zst4va.jpg

Never saw this kit before, .......looks like a sweet kit!  hows the interior detail?

Very nice,

These cars were so ugly, they're cool .

There were a few 62 Dodge builders on eBay last week with the up top included.

This was one of them. :)

I saw that with little time left there were still no bidders on it, so just for the heck of it, I bid the staring bid never expecting to get it.

Seems like whenever I don't expect to win an auction, I invariably do!

Anyway, I thought $32.50 was a fair price.

Steve

Never saw this kit before, .......looks like a sweet kit!  hows the interior detail?

This kit has been around for a long time but went the way of the dinosaur when Johan went out of business many years ago, so they're all collectible now.

The original annual came with customizing parts & the up top.

The later "USA Oldies" kit had stock parts only with no up top.

This was a mixture of the 2 as evidenced by the 2 different plastic colors.

The box is also original annual.

The interiors, engines & chassis were rudimentary as was standard with these annuals from the period.

The interior consists of 3 parts including a tub with the seats molded in, a dash & a steering wheel.

Steve

Got this yesterday:

58_Edsel_rear_bumper.thumb.jpg.e05536c77

Original '58 Edsel rear bumper. I'm building the newer AMT '58 but I'm using the old bumpers because (a) they're more correctly shaped, and (b) they're molded thick enough that I can remove the guards without leaving gaps in the bumper (I'm building it as my old Ranger sedan that didn't have them).

Odd thing was this came from a seller who usually has opening bids of about $15 for all his bumpers/grilles; this was listed for $3.99.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

This kit has been around for a long time but went the way of the dinosaur when Johan went out of business many years ago, so they're all collectible now.

The original annual came with customizing parts & the up top.

The later "USA Oldies" kit had stock parts only with no up top.

This was a mixture of the 2 as evidenced by the 2 different plastic colors.

The box is also original annual.

The interiors, engines & chassis were rudimentary as was standard with these annuals from the period.

The interior consists of 3 parts including a tub with the seats molded in, a dash & a steering wheel.

Steve

Nice!, Thnx, Steve!

Christopher you read my mind. Always kinda wanted to a 62 4door. Got a donor convertible where the window frame went onto a 61 Bonneville. 

Steven the casting looks way beyond my expectations,very nice. I think i`m negative agaist Flintstone because of the 63 Polara

but i`ll admit to they`re 50 Olds Fastback is a really nice cast. 

This was waiting for me when I got back into town yesterday...it'll be a while before I start it, there's some body repair that needs to be done that I'm not quite up for yet. 

WP_20160317_12_23_41_Pro_LI_zpsfbhcb6ra.

WP_20160317_12_23_59_Pro_LI_zpsfmcwwgur.

The above shouldn't be too tough to fix. Even if you are fairly new to model building. Snap it back together. Glue, sand, and a little putty with a little more sanding. Then a good primer. Which you'll need anyhow if you plan on painting it something other than black. And it will look great in no time.... At least as great as one can get a Revell Henry J to look.

If you've never built one of Revell's old gassers your in for a shock. In other posts you've indicated you apprehension about the lack of detail in some early kits. This kit you've got the opposite going. Lots of detail for the time it was tooled. But, very fussy to assemble and get looking right. And after a while your fronttires and wheels will start bending inwards at the top, because the front axle is too thin for the weight of the complete kit.

Because it's the only kit in town of that particular subject, one just learns to work with, and live with this kits defects. The repairs to the body maybe the easy part in building this one.

Just arrived today courtesy of my good friend Bill Allphin, (gtx6970).

We did a little trading & this was what I got on my end.

A pretty much pristine Johan 1963 Plymouth Fury!

I was a little amazed at how well the chrome looked on this kit!

A lot of these old Johan kits had less than stellar chrome right from the factory.

This is one of their better examples, plus the fact that it survived this many years without even a blemish is astounding to me.

Thanks Bill!! :D

Steve

photo DSCN4948_zps7tmwmdzj.jpg photo DSCN4949_zpsqhkdnlzc.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Just arrived today courtesy of my good friend Bill Allphin, (gtx6970).

We did a little trading & this was what I got on my end.

A pretty much pristine Johan 1963 Plymouth Fury!

I was a little amazed at how well the chrome looked on this kit!

A lot of these old Johan kits had less than stellar chrome right from the factory.

This is one of their better examples, plus the fact that it survived this many years without even a blemish is astounding to me.

Thanks Bill!! :D

Steve

photo DSCN4948_zps7tmwmdzj.jpg photo DSCN4949_zpsqhkdnlzc.jpg

Steve,

Good deal,,,,,,Glad it made it ok. Looking forward to watch you work your magic on it .

I bought it new ,,many many years ago . The chrome has been wrapped in a paper towel almost from the day  I got it . I've got 2 more in almost the exact same condition,,plus a couple more  with minor issues

But I think I got the better end of the deal, a REALLY nice 1960 Oldsmobile hardtops don't exactly grow on trees ,,,and its going to be pretty close to the front of the line when I get back to the bench this fall .

I plan to get a couple car bodies painted in the next few weeks. but any sustained model bench time is about to get very limited for me

While in route home my LHS rang my cell and told me that the Revell `67 Nickey Camaro RS/SS 427 kit I had per-ordered had arrived. As luck would have it I was 1/8 of a mile away from the shop so I immediately set a new a heading and detoured by there.  I walked in and it was setting on the counter waiting for my arrival. I was going to grab a couple of them but I was told this was a preliminary shipment and they had received only one but; there were additional kits arriving in about a five to sevens days. Just finished dinner and cracked the box open and I must say this looks like a very promising kit. In fact I the paint for it was ordered from Scale Finishes and it arrived several weeks ago. Just need to finish the current project on the work bench before I start on this gem.

Steve,

Good deal,,,,,,Glad it made it ok. Looking forward to watch you work your magic on it .

I bought it new ,,many many years ago . The chrome has been wrapped in a paper towel almost from the day  I got it . I've got 2 more in almost the exact same condition,,plus a couple more  with minor issues

But I think I got the better end of the deal, a REALLY nice 1960 Oldsmobile hardtops don't exactly grow on trees ,,,and its going to be pretty close to the front of the line when I get back to the bench this fall .

I plan to get a couple car bodies painted in the next few weeks. but any sustained model bench time is about to get very limited for me

Glad to hear it Bill.

I'll look forward to seeing what you do with the Olds also!

I'm thinking I'll do pretty much the same thing with this '63 Plymouth that I was planning for the '62 Dodge.

A cross ram 413 or 426 wedge with a set of vintage mags of some sort.

I'm thinking black with a metallic green or blue interior.

By the way, would anyone happen to know where I can get a set of "Ramcharger 413" & "Super Stock 413" valve cover decals?

Steve

This kit arrived today. I have this one as well as the AMT and ESCI/Ertl in my Cobra stash but wanted to build one so when I saw this one pretty cheap on ebay I bought it. I built this kit many years ago but it was destroyed by a visiting child and was beyond repair. So this one will be in the line up to be built.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...