Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Just came home today.

Finally safe & sound in my own garage.

Mechanical things are almost all done.

Now the pretty parts can be "re-prettied"!

Sad part is, now I'm out of money! :(

Steve

photo DSCN4961_zps6dnt5o1i.jpg

WOW...she's a beauty Steven! '69 or a '70? Two of my favorite years for that body style.:wub:

A 1960 4dr Corvair 700 sedan. Won't see the road for a few weeks yet. Built in July 1959 and stockpiled by GM until the Corvair's debut on October 2nd Now I need to dig out an old SMP built model and restore it to match. 60blue3_zpshgbslqse.jpg

60blue1_zpsd1d31zht.jpg

Edited by vairnut

It's a '69 Andy.

I bought it right out of high school in '81, drove it for about 5 years, & then, shortly after I got married in '87, it went into storage.

It was in pretty nice shape when it went in, but has it's issues coming out.

There is some rust on the lower body from all of those years of sitting on a sweaty concrete floor, but nothing that can't be fixed.

The interior is a big question.

The "Pearl" interior has yellowed over time & I doubt that it will ever be white again without re-upholstering everything.

The entire drive train has already been gone through.

Rebuilt engine, transmission, brakes, exhaust, as well as a new fuel tank, radiator, starter, alternator, etc.

A lot of work done, but a long way to go.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

A 1960 4dr Corvair 700 sedan. Won't see the road for a few weeks yet. Built in July 1959 and stockpiled by GM until the Corvair's debut on October 2nd Now I need to dig out an old SMP built model and restore it to match. 60blue3_zpshgbslqse.jpg

60blue1_zpsd1d31zht.jpg

Very nice Corvair 700 sedan. Hope you post pictures of the model soon too.

60blue1_zpsd1d31zht.jpg

Wow Jeff, that takes me back.  I learned to drive in one only it was green.  3 spd on the floor.  I had a '66 Monza in high school and a few years ago I had a '64 2 door hardtop automatic.  Love corvairs.  I now have a '62 Falcon Sedan Delivery.  I could have bought a Lakewood wagon a couple of years ago that needed restoration.  Kicking myself ever since.  Steve

Uhh,,,,guys, there is another "what did you get today" for NON model stuff,

This is the "General" category which states:

"For general model car hobby or 1:1 automotive related topics".

I think this would be "1:1 automotive related".

The "1:1 Car & Truck Reference" sections are for reference photos.

Steve

The "model" thread has a banner in front; the "non model" thread has a banner after the "What did you get today" title. The "non model" thread was started quite a while ago, but evidently the definition was not modified.  I'm not trying to be nasty- the similar titles fooled me for a long time until I noticed the banner location. I think all of the non model entries from this thread were moved to the other thread when it was created.

60blue1_zpsd1d31zht.jpg

Didn't you guys get a foot of snow last night?!

Edited by Dann Tier

Went to the Detroit Model show today and picked up a few items for the back burner . The new 70 F100 , the 80's GMC 4x4 short bed ( that will be a lowered 2x4 if I get to it) along with a few of the new Ford GT snap kits for the nephews and a great nephew is getting a Raptor snap kit.  

60blue1_zpsd1d31zht.jpg

so there is a 4 door corvair that came out... I have my eye on a 64 Monza that is sitting up in ohio right now... wondering about that old model your going to dig out if its a 4 door?...

It's a '69 Andy.

I bought it right out of high school in '81, drove it for about 5 years, & then, shortly after I got married in '87, it went into storage.

It was in pretty nice shape when it went in, but has it's issues coming out.

There is some rust on the lower body from all of those years of sitting on a sweaty concrete floor, but nothing that can't be fixed.

The interior is a big question.

The "Pearl" interior has yellowed over time & I doubt that it will ever be white again without re-upholstering everything.

The entire drive train has already been gone through.

Rebuilt engine, transmission, brakes, exhaust, as well as a new fuel tank, radiator, starter, alternator, etc.

A lot of work done, but a long way to go.

Steve

At least new parts being made now. Good used parts were pretty scarce for quite some time over the years and NOS were nearly impossible to find. Still a great looking car. Love the quad headlight cars('69 & '70) over the singles('71-2). Can't help it, but I'm a little jealous.^_^

At least new parts being made now. Good used parts were pretty scarce for quite some time over the years and NOS were nearly impossible to find. Still a great looking car. Love the quad headlight cars('69 & '70) over the singles('71-2). Can't help it, but I'm a little jealous.^_^

Some parts are being made, others are still very hard to find.

Almost any drive train or suspension parts can be found easily.

Body panels & a lot of trim pieces are still not easy to find.

As far as I've been able to find, Ames offers rear quarter patch panels, front fender patch panels, rockers, & a trunk lid, as well as some floor panels.

But if you need a door or a front fender, you still have to find them the "old fashioned" way, in a junk yard.

I spent this afternoon putting the Super Clean to good use.

Starting to try & clean the 30 years of grime & discoloration off of the pearl interior upholstery.

I was pretty impressed with how well it works!

See if you can guess which part of this rear seat has been cleaned. :D

I'll throw in an engine pic for good measure.

Steve

photo DSCN4967_zpsweurfudl.jpg  photo DSCN4966_zpsdo1y1nhc.jpg

Thanks to Vince (vintagedragcrazy), got the front suspension from the Little Red Wagon kit - which gives me a beefy straight axle with steerable wheels for my '58 Ford. Even better, it looks like the springs line right up with the frame - this might be a good combo to keep in mind if you're building a gasser/street freak '57 (I'm using the AMT '57 Fairlane chassis).

Some parts are being made, others are still very hard to find.

Almost any drive train or suspension parts can be found easily.

Body panels & a lot of trim pieces are still not easy to find.

As far as I've been able to find, Ames offers rear quarter patch panels, front fender patch panels, rockers, & a trunk lid, as well as some floor panels.

But if you need a door or a front fender, you still have to find them the "old fashioned" way, in a junk yard.

I spent this afternoon putting the Super Clean to good use.

Starting to try & clean the 30 years of grime & discoloration off of the pearl interior upholstery.

I was pretty impressed with how well it works!

See if you can guess which part of this rear seat has been cleaned. :D

I'll throw in an engine pic for good measure.

Steve

photo DSCN4967_zpsweurfudl.jpg  photo DSCN4966_zpsdo1y1nhc.jpg

Actually, some LeMans/GTO parts are interchangeable with the GP. I think the windshield glass, some suspension(and probably brakes), and I believe maybe something or parts with the doors do too. Something to look into.

OK - didn't know about the other thread so will add post there for the real car. Apologize for that.

DAAM show today and picked up

1967 Nickey Camaro,  2015 Foose C7 Corvette, 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 1961 AMT Galaxie Styline kit ( chrome parts to restore a '61 Sunliner built )

Revell Jungle Jim T/F Dragster, Porsche 918 Weissach, and a Stoops Steve Butler Gamler sprint car.

Was looking for Fujimi/Testors Porsche 356's but non found.

Bandit1 - The 1960 annual kit by SMP was a 4 dr sedan, I have a couple restorables around. Real cars were 4drs only until April 1960. There were some 1961 - 1963 4 dr corvair models by Palmer and/or Premier but they are pretty funky looking.

Dann - lt dusting of snow in Grand Blanc, good raods today and no snow. Saginaw still getting snow and sleet today.

Unclescott58 - yes the one in the backgound is another 1960 two tone blue 700. That one was sold last fall by the person who had mine. He just sold off 6 or 7 of his remaining 12+ 1960's

vinagercr - I would like to find a solid wagon body for a 2dr conversion project. Everything that show up is too rusty or too $$ to cut up.

Actually, some LeMans/GTO parts are interchangeable with the GP. I think the windshield glass, some suspension(and probably brakes), and I believe maybe something or parts with the doors do too. Something to look into.

A lot of the suspension, brake, & engine & drive train stuff is interchangeable between the Lemans & even Firebird, & for that matter all of the full sized Pontiacs.

I do know that the windshield is exclusive to the Grand Prix in '69.

It was the first car ever with the radio antenna in the windshield.

Steve

OK - didn't know about the other thread so will add post there for the real car. Apologize for that.

DAAM show today and picked up

1967 Nickey Camaro,  2015 Foose C7 Corvette, 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 1961 AMT Galaxie Styline kit ( chrome parts to restore a '61 Sunliner built )

Revell Jungle Jim T/F Dragster, Porsche 918 Weissach, and a Stoops Steve Butler Gamler sprint car.

Was looking for Fujimi/Testors Porsche 356's but non found.

Bandit1 - The 1960 annual kit by SMP was a 4 dr sedan, I have a couple restorables around. Real cars were 4drs only until April 1960. There were some 1961 - 1963 4 dr corvair models by Palmer and/or Premier but they are pretty funky looking.

Dann - lt dusting of snow in Grand Blanc, good raods today and no snow. Saginaw still getting snow and sleet today.

Unclescott58 - yes the one in the backgound is another 1960 two tone blue 700. That one was sold last fall by the person who had mine. He just sold off 6 or 7 of his remaining 12+ 1960's

vinagercr - I would like to find a solid wagon body for a 2dr conversion project. Everything that show up is too rusty or too $$ to cut up.

Glad you didn't get that much:lol:ours is melted already!

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...