Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

that is a beautiful haul , some great plastic there.

thanks yes I'm pretty happy with it .

Agreed! you definitely scored!! That Lancia almost looks like the Tamiya version. I have that Mustang as well, and I think its a pretty decent kit, although mine has a warped roof.

the Lancia is very sharply molded it looks great  very nice detail. did some research on it. its the first issue from 1980 so 36 years old so cool I love old stuff . the Mustang does look like its pretty poorly molded example one of the side window louvers isnt molded completely . but ill se if I can get it build decently . over all I,m told I Scored . so cant be anything other than happy about my first big haul .   

Looking at a couple of those on ebay. Might make a nice project an addition to my collection.

The shipping is slow (about 3-4 weeks) but it's worth the wait !

Very complete , the only thing bad about it is the black windows . We'll have to make our own .

just bought  the Model King 70 Camaro z28, AMT 70 impala, 69 Firebird 400, Model King 56  Ford Victoria, and MPC 1928 Lincoln Gangbusters .......the deals online were too good to pass up, so as usual,, way more than I will ever build, but love to have them regardless....:D.......have a great plastic weekend, boys....the Ace.............;)

I picked up 5 kits today at the DSC here in Phoenix.

These first 3 are all ones I already have, but I really like these and to me they are fun to build.

Stinger rear engine dragster. I have a set of decals to make it into the Trick T. Might have to get another set or two now. Or maybe build one of each version.

CopOut funny car-turns out I forgot I already have a couple, would have gotten something else. But this is ok.

66 Malibu SS the one with the one piece tilt front end. Since I have a couple of these now, maybe I will do one as a full on tubbed Pro Streeter.

MPC 1/20 McLaren - until I saw it today I forgot how much I wanted another one of these, built one when it was first released like 45 or so years ago.

And a holy grail, the AMT Double 29 Ford/Ala Kart - I still can't believe I got this one. another vendor had one for $150, which I thought was a reasonable price but way out of my league. Now to get up the nerve to build it. I think I will build a few of the others first though.

Spent about $110 counting lunch. I shouldn't have spent any having just lost my job this week, but I had really been looking forward to going and buying something.

Thanks,

Russ

Yesterday I was at a local hobby shop and picked up a kit I've been considering buying for a while now. Revell's '81 Lowrider Chevy Citation. Believe it or not, I've always kind of liked Chevy's little piece of you know what. But, this is an odd kit of for what supposably represents. The box says it represents an '81 Citation. But in '81 Chevrolet didn't offer the Citation in a club coupe which this kit depicts. The club coupe was offered in 1980. And again in '82 1/2 through '84. But only the hatchback versions, 2-door and 4-door, were offered in '81. Plus the grille in this kit is not right for an '81. It is right for the '80.

Okay, it's a depicts an '80 club coupe. Not so fast! The domed hood was not offered on the '80 version of the Citation X-11. It was introduced with the '81 X-11 hatchback. The X-11 club coupe in '82, '83, and '84 would have that hood though. The "stock" wheels are correct for 1980. The Turbo wheels are what was used on the '81 and later X-11s. The vent before the rear wheels, were only on the '80 X-11. But, these are seperate pieces in the kit, so you don't have to use them. The kit does give you correct decals to an '80, or an '81 and later X-11.

To top it off, the kit comes with a 2.8 liter V6. But it's turbo charged. It's going to take a little work if you want it to be a stock power plant.

The above reasons are why I took so long before buying this kit. I bet it took me over two years before making the decision. The price was never the issue. It was just trying to justifying this kit over others. I finally decided because I've gotten tired of debating on buying it or not. I bought it so I won't to think about anymore.

I also picked up the latest issue of Model Car.

I got this Jada 1/24 diecast Merc for about $10, specifically for the ribbed optional wheel covers. The car also has some pretty nice Caddy sombreros that will be perfect for another stalled build...that I didn't have the right wheels for until now. These are really nice little models. I don't care for the awful squashed-looking chop on this one, but the quality of the fit and finish is very good.

s-l1600.jpg

A Hobby People store near me had a clearance sale of Jada stuff, a few years ago.  I picked up several of their 1/24 '53 Cadillac convertibles to fool around with.  Some were in the "Road Rats" box with extra wheels, some were plain stock versions, loose with no box.  They are nice models.

53_cad.jpg

A Hobby People store near me had a clearance sale of Jada stuff, a few years ago.  I picked up several of their 1/24 '53 Cadillac convertibles to fool around with.  Some were in the "Road Rats" box with extra wheels, some were plain stock versions, loose with no box.  They are nice models.

I would have much preferred the Caddy like you have, but I couldn't find one for the price...at least with the ribbed wheel covers I needed for another stalled project. 

It's just a shame Jada didn't do a well-proportioned chopped Merc instead of the sat-on looking one thay chose.

sam.gif

My hauls for the past month to date (yeah, bending the rules).......

20160410_203942_zpsuo4bf9vx.jpg

The Folgers Mustang and the VW were trades. The MPC El Camino was an antique/junk store find. The three Firebirds and the Ramchargers 330 are from a local model vendor in my local farmers/flea market. All complete and sealed in the boxes.

Also, just snagged this off eBay today. I love the Deals Wheels line! Good price (I think) for a sealed bag kit.:D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MODEL-70S-REVELL-DEALS-WHEELS-RIF-RAFS-SPITSFIRE-NOS-SEALED-AIRPLANE-/262371594682?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&autorefresh=true&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=2pz5fN6amlddgnSuvpI9%2Fzv0eqU%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Screenshot_2016-04-10-20-27-48_zps8j9rsu

Edited by DerthDeboblo

I got this Jada 1/24 diecast Merc for about $10, specifically for the ribbed optional wheel covers. The car also has some pretty nice Caddy sombreros that will be perfect for another stalled build...that I didn't have the right wheels for until now. These are really nice little models. I don't care for the awful squashed-looking chop on this one, but the quality of the fit and finish is very good.

Cool! You found those wheels.  Note that there's some work to do on the backs.  I Dremeled the ribs out and fitted kit drums on them.

Cool! You found those wheels.  Note that there's some work to do on the backs.  I Dremeled the ribs out and fitted kit drums on them.

Yes, and thanks, Tom. I wouldn't have known where to start looking without your pointing me towards Jada. I'll be hollowing out the entire backside of them to use them as covers over wire wheels on a build of a vintage classic. :D

Got these from Hobbylink.com today.

The red oxide primer is for another future project. 

Never tried the clear before, but thought I'd give it a try.

This Tamiya kit is going ahead of the line of some other projects going on here.

DSC01072.JPG

wow nice this is K.ludwig's car :)

nice kit,   always  like  ford race cars.   a guy on e-bay  has a great set of wheels for this kit   seller  name  scale-details-com   item number 301703538497

s-l1600.jpg

nice wheels. BBS for porsche 956? just thought they looked so the same.

Then i Got the Big moving size box with suposed Vintage kits . and i dont know much about them but here they are

maybe you guys can tell me more about them  . the scout 2 is not old i know.

Airfix Lancia Stratos

Amt Scout 2

Otaki (i think ) Corona 1600 sl it has gears  could be motorized apperently

DSC_1635.thumb.jpg.ef627ef60bba72caecdae

Wow I had no idea somebody did a Toyota Corona. My parents bought a gold one in 1970, it even had mirrors like that, just mounted on the doors instead of the fenders. I was 3 when they got it, and my dad drove it until I was in high school so that is the car I remember most as a kid. Will definitely have to add one of these to my must find list, actually maybe two of them. One as a nice one and one like my dad drove.

He should have bought a truck, that poor thing always had a roof rack, and he brought home a trunk full of concrete bags (probably weighed more than the car) on more than one occasion. Got backed into by a city bus, so he took a come along and attached it to a telephone pole and pulled the front end back into place (more or less...) The poor little thing gave remarkable service, but was a mess by the end. Deserved though, it put up with 12-14 years of abuse and neglect that no compact car should have to put up with. It had a tin foil body, but was a heck of a car.

Edited by Aaronw

Wow I had no idea somebody did a Toyota Corona. My parents bought a gold one in 1970, it even had mirrors like that, just mounted on the doors instead of the fenders. I was 3 when they got it, and my dad drove it until I was in high school so that is the car I remember most as a kid. Will definitely have to add one of these to my must find list, actually maybe two of them. One as a nice one and one like my dad drove.

He should have bought a truck, that poor thing always had a roof rack, and he brought home a trunk full of concrete bags (probably weighed more than the car) on more than one occasion. Got backed into by a city bus, so he took a come along and attached it to a telephone pole and pulled the front end back into place (more or less...) The poor little thing gave remarkable service, but was a mess by the end. Deserved though, it put up with 12-14 years of abuse and neglect that no compact car should have to put up with. It had a tin foil body, but was a heck of a car.

ive tried to research the Otaki Corona kit . but I cant even find a single picture of one or any mentions anywhere . even if a kit is old and maybe rare you can usually find a picture or some info online .. what I do know is that Otaki closed down in the 80ies I'm guessing the corona is from the 70ies cause its a pre facelift 1970 model . but other companys bought otaki.s tools so this one might also be out there somewhere . so happy hunting hope you can find one

sounds like good memories with your dads corona and sounds like it was a tough little bastard . they sure did know how to build em back in the day .

Suddenly it's 1960!  Today's haul from the local flea market.  That sad Danbury Mint 53 Buick Skylark was only $3. Bought it mostly for the nice wire wheels/white sidewalls and other parts.  The Gold Rush van is complete.  The 1960 Ford pickup is a real rarity - the gas cans, tools etc. were in the bed under the tonneau cover. And nothing had ever been glued down.  Couldn't believe it.

Img_9584.jpg

Img_9585.jpg

Img_9586.jpg

Img_9588.jpg

Img_9589.jpg

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...