Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

On 5/26/2018 at 11:43 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Some guys have all of the luck!

Did someone give you that at the NNL North show last weekend?

And if so, where the heck was I?? :blink:

Steve

No I was given it two weeks before that by another member of the MCCM. April is always our Swap Meet meeting in the MCCM. A friend had that AMT TV show (Hero), Western Customized '66 Imperial kit there. I expressed interest in it if it could be built "stock." It could not. But, then he tells me he has an unbuilt '65 at home he'd be willing to let me have. He knows I'm not into the hobby to make a buck. And knows that I like giving free kits to kids to get them interested the hobby. I was willing to pay for the '65. But he said, knowing that I would build it. I could have it for free. Wow! What a nice guy. And this is not the first time he has done this for me. 

I guess it sometimes pays to be friendly, and not be greedy with others in this hobby. And I thankfull that he is not just the only one MCCM member for being so generous. There are others within our group who have shown kindness like that to me and other members in our group. They are a great bunch of guys. 

Edited by unclescott58

Scott buddy... That was so nice of him to do for you your lucky.   Nice to see some out there that just want them to have a good home where they will be loved and appreciated.  I like your style helping kids get into the hobby too...very nice of you to do.   Thinking of others has its rewards.

5 hours ago, disabled modeler said:

Scott buddy... That was so nice of him to do for you your lucky.   Nice to see some out there that just want them to have a good home where they will be loved and appreciated.  I like your style helping kids get into the hobby too...very nice of you to do.   Thinking of others has its rewards.

No luck. Just kindness. 

10 hours ago, Johnt671 said:

Found this one at Ollie's Sunday.

image.thumb.png.cbbd52369f123ecee35f9168eb1d82b5.png

If it hasn't been done. Even if it has been. Someone need to do a review on the above kit. I'd love to see what comes in the box. If I remember correctly, this maybe one of the "good" older Lindberg kits? 

10 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

If it hasn't been done. Even if it has been. Someone need to do a review on the above kit. I'd love to see what comes in the box. If I remember correctly, this maybe one of the "good" older Lindberg kits? 

That would be nice Scott...looks very interesting.

Got another one from Tamiya.  I am very impressed with their kits even though I haven't started one yet.  The box is sturdy and nice and holds/displays the sprues well.  The plastic is perfect.  The wheels and tires are perfect like aftermarket pieces.

IMG_0165.thumb.JPG.df1533face783977420edcca23b043fb.JPG

I got my Last Order from Modelhaus. This means I'll be able to get on with restorations of some '66 Skylarks, '64-'67 Corvettes, '68-'70 Javelins, and a '63 Riviera, among others. Happy happy joy joy! 

Oh, there should be a '68 Coronet R/T in there, too. Don't PM me. I didn't get any of this stuff to sell, I just got what I needed for my own projects. 

Edited by Snake45

5 hours ago, jchrisf said:

Got another one from Tamiya.  I am very impressed with their kits even though I haven't started one yet.  The box is sturdy and nice and holds/displays the sprues well.  The plastic is perfect.  The wheels and tires are perfect like aftermarket pieces.

before using the decals from those older Tamiya kits look at them carefully at different angles with a good light and look for cracking. If cracked they will fall apart when placed in water. You can try brushing on a cat of this to save them.

art-ms1200-micro-set.jpg

Edited by 935k3

Picked up some TS sprays to finish a paint job I've been working on. I got back to work on my XJ220. I wanted to simulate Monza Red. One of the more fascinating colors in the auto world in my opinion. I used TS Sprays, clear Red, over Mica Red, over gloss black. It looks quite close in most lighting conditions. Under direct sunlight it might be a bit too bright. However I haven't seen a photo of Monza Red under direct light either.

At the end of the day I think its BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH near close. Excuse the overspray on my hand lol.

5b11a8c73df84_unnamed(3).thumb.jpg.f51f6eb7ed083647492cd3e8b7d45ff6.jpgunnamed.thumb.jpg.7dce52afcf60b34fe364d04daad775e7.jpgCuhDYdFW8AAXl9E.jpg.87cd0e1ce32fb0b9057d2947151e6d44.jpgCuhDYdGW8AAs6Kq.jpg.11b418a629d13bc070e7cdaa5738c055.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

Edited by DiscoRover007

2 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

I didn't even know Microscale made the above. Have ordered a bottle. I'll be curious to see how it works. 

It works GREAT. Using a NEW Q-tip (don't screw around with a paintbrush), slop ONE coat on THICK, and don't worry about getting it even, just worry about 100% coverage. Let it dry. You won't believe how thin it is, and you might think it won't work, but it will. Throw the Q-tip away. Then and only then cut the decal out. NEVER cut a decal and then Superfilm it--you'll never get if off the paper. You'll soon wonder how you lived this long without the stuff. 

9 hours ago, Snake45 said:

It works GREAT. Using a NEW Q-tip (don't screw around with a paintbrush), slop ONE coat on THICK, and don't worry about getting it even, just worry about 100% coverage. Let it dry. You won't believe how thin it is, and you might think it won't work, but it will. Throw the Q-tip away. Then and only then cut the decal out. NEVER cut a decal and then Superfilm it--you'll never get if off the paper. You'll soon wonder how you lived this long without the stuff. 

Thanks Snake. I have an old IMC Avenger GT-12 kit. I've been considering using the old decals that came with kit, but they look a little iffy. I'm hoping this may allow me to still use them. 

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...