Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best of the GT40 Kits?

Randy D

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I am convinced, I need the HRM Daytona Coupe kit :) I sent off a email to check current availability. I also need to crank out my Gunze kit with HRM parts that I have been ignoring, as a motivator to do the full HRM kit!

Just curious, where'd you order it from? HRM's been extremely slow at fulfilling large kits recently; still waiting for my FIA Cobra which was ordered last May.

Wow Girchy, that's pushing a year! I ordered the Daytona Coupe on a Monday and it arrived on Friday. I ordered from Red Frog Hobbies, which have always been timely from my experience with them. I had ordered a Mercedes 300SLR LeMans conversion kit by HRM from them and it took about 2 months to get, that was much quicker than I expected knowing how the HRM kits are usually backed up.

I have to say, the HRM products are something to behold, beautifully mastered and cast, none finer! That reminds me I need a few parts from HRM and I need to get them on order soon.

I also have an order with another dealer that is for some photoetch and machined items that is running past a year now and I need to inquire on the status and perhaps seek a refund.

• 6 months later...

I happen to own the Revell-Monogram reissue kit and here is a link to my Pinterest page which will have reference pictures and scans of the instructions and box art of it.

I find it to be a very good kit except for tires. Very delicate front end assembly, nice tilt engine compartment, full engine and transmission. I'll be searching a nice set of tires for it, its worth it.

http://www.pinterest.com/gluefinger/aurora-125-ford-gt/

Edited by jet

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This a link to a previous thread that may be of some help.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/?showtopic=67630

The link to the past tread is a little help. But also a little confusing. I too am interest in Ford GT kits. Not so much the MkIV version like Brian, but earlier MkIs or MkIIs. From what I can tell from going back and reading the previous treads, for the money, the Aurora (/Revell) for the early cars is the best kit? The MPC kit for the MkIV? I want a kit that's not too expansive, inaccurate, requires lots of modifications, or is hard to build.

The best Ford GT kit I ever built is the mid-2000s Polar Lights snap-kit of the contemporary GT of the time. For the older cars, what compares to that?

Scott

I want a kit that's not too expansive, inaccurate, requires lots of modifications, or is hard to build.

The best Ford GT kit I ever built is the mid-2000s Polar Lights snap-kit of the contemporary GT of the time. For the older cars, what compares to that?

Nothing, really. The older '60s kits are full-detail, with tiny, intricate parts. When you consider the real cars, it's easy to see why the kits are very complex, with lots of parts packaged very tightly.

I have two of the HRM transkits and they are very nice and of high quality, they are for the Mk I only and woun't fit the Mk II.

I spoke with Harold over the phone when I ordered my first transkit several years ago and he told me that he was planning to do a transkit for the Mk II someday but I haven't seen any yet, one thing he was struggling with then was the 180º headers for the FE and how to do them.
I have also bought a HRM transkit for the Fujimi Porsche 917K and it's as good as the others.

No Scott, I haven't seen any model or model kit of the Mk III, they didn't make many real cars either...only 7.

Edited by Force

No Scott, I haven't seen any model or model kit of the Mk III, they didn't make many real cars either...only 7.

Yea, I know they only made 7. I heard 4 were left hand drive. The other 3 right hand. But, they were the only original GT40s road legal, available in the United States at the time. I use to think they were ugly. With their round headlamps and longer tail. But, over the years they've grown on me. And it would be fun to have a model of one. But, I'm not holding my breath on waiting for that one.

Scott

But, they were the only original GT40s road legal, available in the United States at the time.

Actually the MK I "Road Coupe" was sold in the US via Shelby prior to the "MK III" becoming available. A friend of mine had P1054 until last year.

The Fujimi tires can be narrowed to produce whatever width you need. Here is a "rear" that has been sectioned to work on a GT40 MK I "mid-tail" street car. The tire is on a Fujimi Ferrari Daytona Borrani wire, compare to the GT40 kit supplied "wire" wheel. Of course the aftermarket machined wires would be better yet! The Borrani has not yet been stripped, they were painted spokes in most cases with aluminum rims that were either polished or machine finish.

post-14937-0-04872700-1420397180_thumb.j

post-14937-0-13960700-1420397189_thumb.j

post-14937-0-18829100-1420397198_thumb.j

post-14937-0-99973900-1420397213_thumb.j

Got a Revell (Fujimi) GT-40 Mk II on eBay for just under $30, with shipping. Got the #2 car. Which I believe was the '66 Daytona winning car. Looking forward to building this. The only other "LeMans" type sports car I want a model of now, is a '70 Gulf-Porsche 917. Again Fujimi makes one, but prices are a little rich for me right now.

Rick (Mark IV), as far as street legal Mk Is, were there any brought into the United States at the time? I thought they tried to, but they could not pass mainly the goverment headlamp regulations. Both the headlamps themselves and the height of the lamps were a problem. The Mk IIIs were built mainly with this problem in mind. Between the outrageous price, very poor build quality, and some say the looks, this made the Mk IIIs very poor sellers. And with changing regulations coming in the US for 1968, it wasn't worth continuing the project. I don't know the history of street legal GT-40s in the US beyond that. I know serveral Mk Is were sold as road cars in Europe.

Scott

Got a Revell (Fujimi) GT-40 Mk II on eBay for just under $30, with shipping. Got the #2 car. Which I believe was the '66 Daytona winning car.

Scott

Allllllmost but not quite. Dan Gurney was over a lap ahead in the 1966 Sebring 12 hour race when his engine died on the last lap. He was DQ for pushing it on the course.

http://www.sportscardigest.com/1966-12-hours-of-sebring-race-profile/

Lloyd Ruby and Ken Miles took Daytona that year.

http://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/Daytona-1966-02-06.html

Having said that, that scheme and that driver are both among my favorites of that era.

Edited by The Junkman

Rick (Mark IV), as far as street legal Mk Is, were there any brought into the United States at the time? I thought they tried to, but they could not pass mainly the goverment headlamp regulations. Both the headlamps themselves and the height of the lamps were a problem. The Mk IIIs were built mainly with this problem in mind. Between the outrageous price, very poor build quality, and some say the looks, this made the Mk IIIs very poor sellers. And with changing regulations coming in the US for 1968, it wasn't worth continuing the project. I don't know the history of street legal GT-40s in the US beyond that. I know serveral Mk Is were sold as road cars in Europe.

Scott

Yes,

Several MK I "street coupes" sere sold in the US. This was pre-1967 when the regulations took effect that kept the car out although units that were already here were legal to sell...that said many did not sell and were returned to the UK for disposal.

Yes,Several MK I "street coupes" sere sold in the US. This was pre-1967 when the regulations took effect that kept the car out although units that were already here were legal to sell...that said many did not sell and were returned to the UK for disposal.

Any idea on how many "street" legal GT-40s of all types were sold in the US back in the day? And how expensive were they? And was quality as bad on the street Mk Is as I've read they were with the Mk IIIs? I assume the race cars were indivually prepared and did not have the quality control issues of Mk IIIs. It's interesting to read Car and Driver's review of the Mk III written back in 1967. They were not impressed. The build quality was not good at all. Especially for a car priced at $18,000. The price they claimed of about 7 new Mustangs at the time!

Scott