Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bring Out Your Dead... Long Stalled Models

Tom Geiger

Snake, I still have the paint that was used. It's the original '64 Olds Jade Mist poly. I don't like that hood AT ALL and if/when I get around to it, I'll definitely get the plastic one I have now painted--------Matching it should be no trouble.

I'll have to live with it a very long time and I don't want to have to stare at that warped hood. I may not have the ambition to do it later as I'll get distracted with something else. We'll see how things go after the '68 'Vette gets done. The way I am, I have to zero/focus in one project at a time. The other things I can let go as you mentioned with the emblems and air cleaner. The air cleaner would need proper decals and such (or I'd make 'em), but that's no big deal.

That hood however.............I can't stand it! :o

6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Bill, I I were you, I'd drive on with the wheels and interior stuff, let the air cleaner decal go for the time being, and GITTER DONE. That hood's not warped THAT bad and we'd gladly accept it as DONE in the Completion Build and you have until the end of March to get that done. And then you can go back and paint the new hood and put it on later. C'mon, join the GITTER DONE FUN, you'll love it! B)

What's that paint? Are you going to have any trouble matching it? 

BTW, I have a nice resin copy of this kit. And I have a resin copy of the kit's "power bulge" hood, too (which was years ahead of its time). I'm planning to build it as a "switcher." I'll have two complete chassis--one completely stock, the other one with mags, slicks, slightly jacked-up rear, and a big engine. Should be a head turner when done! Still trying to decide on a good factory color for it. 

I have a 64 Cutlass hardtop and convertible to restore. The convertible was originally built as a race car, so I have to source a windshield frame and glass for it. I would love to see this one finished Bill.

1 hour ago, Ron Hamilton said:

I have a 64 Cutlass hardtop and convertible to restore. The convertible was originally built as a race car, so I have to source a windshield frame and glass for it. I would love to see this one finished Bill.

Sounds like the perfect use for a Revell '65 Chevelle kit. Cut off top, remove windshield frame, throw the rest of the ugly roof away! :lol:

20 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Sounds like the perfect use for a Revell '65 Chevelle kit. Cut off top, remove windshield frame, throw the rest of the ugly roof away! :lol:

I'm not going to waste a 65 Malibu on that. I have a better plan of attack. I have a scrapped Revell 66 GTO that I can steal the windshield frame from. It has a long wait though as the line is long.

• 1 year later...
On 8/29/2018 at 3:04 PM, gasser59 said:

Staled projects? Yea, I have more than my share. My oldest is probably 30 years or so. Long before PE, after-market items, I built this Willys with tilt wheel, functioning carb linkage, functioning gas pedal, working U-joints, 1/20th scale Tamiya rear rubber, etc. Worked myself into a corner with the roll cage and the door hinges needing to occupy the same space. Put it in a box.

WillysonShelf.jpg

It may not be what you want to do but have you considered making the doors suicide?  Of course I guess the hinges can interfere with the roll cage there as well.  Just a thought though.-Mark

On 8/23/2018 at 9:52 AM, Dave Van said:

Many stalled projects....longest stalled and biggest is my 1990 Roush Racing IMSA Cougar. I spent lots of time and money, most chassis and engine built but not painted. After 3 false starts on a body back about mid 1990's it all went into a box never to see light again.....BTW it's in 1/12 scale....

2v2Jd14oMxJcANd.jpg

This is awesome Dave!-Mark

On 11/4/2018 at 11:43 PM, Scott Colmer said:

This has to be the oldest stalled project I have. It was originally a Revell 31 Delivery built box stock back in the mid 1970s.  In the late 70's I channeled the body onto the fenders, added lots of white putty and threw it in the scrap box. I fished it out in the mid 80s and completed the bodywork with and eye towards under body aerodynamics. The chassis was built, then I got stuck on the front suspension. I got that figured out, but it's way back in the line now. The engine exploded when when I dropped it on the garage floor.

SideLR-vi.jpg

ChassisLR-vi.jpg

DSCN2984-vi.jpg

Scott I have always loved your pro street pickup with the 4 cylinder hemi too.  If you ever want to trade it......!!!

Cheers brother-Mark

Edited by ybsluos
Forgot to add something

On 5/29/2013 at 12:39 PM, Joker said:

Couple of 36 Fords

over 3 years ago...both got the chop ..both got bad paint IMHO...both boxed up

100_1394-vi.jpg

100_1397-vi.jpg

36ford-vi.jpg

100_0948-vi.jpg

This beast is a 41 Plymouth..plan was to turn it into a Rick Dore custom...lol

Started about 5 years ago...me thinks

100_1104-vi.jpg

100_1106-vi.jpg

Joker

when AMT issued this, i got one (1977-8?), i chopped it, hardtopped it, started fadeaways.. radiussed the wheel wells with flares...

eerie!

i gotta find it!

love love love yours!

On 8/22/2018 at 11:17 PM, 89AKurt said:

OMG, talk about stalled projects, I'm dredging up this 5 year old thread.  :P

Bigatti: Allison powered Royal LSR.  Took the picture 2011, but started before that.

Bigatti exploded view.jpg

Now there's something you don't see every day Chumley!  an Allison Powered Royale!!!

On 8/28/2018 at 3:04 PM, Modlbldr said:

Here it is. Currently my oldest stalled build. 1969 Super Camaro.

http://IMG_20180418_094205983.jpg

http://IMG_20180418_094314676.jpg

http://IMG_20180418_094216231.jpg

Someday soon I'll get back to it.

Later-

You Got Me!  I was skimming through and thought Ah, A Dodge Superbird, with a really nice paint job it was only later that you mentioned that it was a Camaro and I had to look again. Should be a looker when it's done.

Does this include all the kits I haven't even started?  As long as there"s glue and paint there's hope. What an amazing variety of design concepts it makes one humble!  Great work Guys and Gals.  Now back to the bench!

LSR Rocket jh-esml.jpg

R-Rear Skunkwrks.jpg

FF01 Composite smsl.jpg

Wasp in Repose.jpg

Ardun & Holleys.jpg

Bug Panel Lines.jpg

Bugatti typ-102 LSR On Salt at Speed.jpg

Edited by Big John
More Pics
  • Like 1

With my renewed interest and a workspace set up, I've dug into long ago stored (25 years) boxes.  There is a '65 Chevy C10 long bed conversion in progress, a '59 Corvette that I had painted red, but didn't like the shade I mixed and felt like I was in a rut with red, so I changed it to black with silver cove.  I don't remember what paint I used, but I didn't like how it turned out, so there it sits with a still primed cove.  A '50 Ford F-1 that also was painted but I stripped it, I don't remember why.  There was a '55 or '56 Chevy Cameo that was painted and ready for final assembly.  I've been puttering on that over the past several days and with just a few details that will be the first model I have completed since 1996!

The one I am really looking forward to is the '40 Ford coupe below.  A good friend had a '39 in the early '60s that he used to show.  I copied pictures he had and intended to build a replica.  I futzed with the suspension and ride height and didn't get it where I wanted it, and subsequently stuck it in a box for 25 years.  In the meantime I moved several times and lived a lot of life.  I've played around with it over the weekend and I think I have it where I want it.  Back in the day he had a Cadillac engine in the car, so I had long ago set aside a Cadillac V8 with tri-power from (I think) a '59 Cadillac kit.  The actual car was a candy green color, and then orange.  I am going with the green.  Unfortunately my friend passed nearly 10 years ago, but I will remember him while building and eventually displaying the car.

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

• Like 1

A first build post from me, sorry for newcomers various technical shortcomings

Am not sure of the technique for attaching the photos
Photos taken by phone, not super
Brush painting = not exactly professional

Anyway it is the Italeri Ferrari California SWB, a project I started ca 20 years ago, brought out and finished over the weekend
The tyres have lost all the softener agent in the material, rather hard now

Thanks for looking / Gunnarimage.png.1b2947a845e49b54c7ef0435194acaf2.png

image.png.2ce63d243b1ada698211c68e61803b44.png

Thanks for the kind words, Mark. Unfortunately, I'm not considering a trade. I really want to finish these (There is a gull wing Vicky street rod project I missed on eBay, that I would consider.) Until then, I am trying to finish up a client project that's been dogging me for years. 

Got outbid for this one eBay.

1018941209_tp-vi.jpg

Thanks for the profs, brother.

Scott

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

This thread I started back in 2014 popped up today. You can see where the “Bring Out Your Dead” program Snake admins got its name!

Looking at the maybe 100s of great builds posted here, I can’t help but wonder how many of these actually are now finished.

For me, the VW drag car is still in the box.  The 1960 Plymouth airport limo wagon is currently on the bench as my entry in this round of BOYD!  

So folks… post what you have completed in this thread!

47 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

This thread I started back in 2014 popped up today. You can see where the “Bring Out Your Dead” program Snake admins got its name!

I've never made any secret of the fact that this thread was the inspiration and the seed of idea for the BOYD build thread. You truly set off something great here, Tom! B)