Model Cars Magazine Forum

SMP '58 Impala ala Larry Watson! Interior Done, Final Assembly!

John Goschke

I really like the color choice. In addition to the side pitch fork removal the way you changed the molding along the top of the fenders ending and not extending to the long body side moldings cleans up the look very well.

• 3 weeks later...

The fun continues... to avoid creating just another Watson-style outline job, I decided to try adding some tendril ( aka "seaweed") flames, another technique that Larry employed more than once. Originally was going to do only the lower body between the wheel wells but took it a bit further. I drew the design on masking tape on another Impala body, then scanned that design to use as a template to refine and redraw in Adobe Illustrator as vector-based art that could be copied as a mirror-image for the other side of the car. These patterns were printed out and laid on top of Tamiya tape to cut masks to apply to the body. The real challenge came in trying to lay the ones on the hood and decklid symmetrically. We'll see how well I did when the tape comes off! These were airbrushed with thin coats of Tamiya's Metallic Orange, which is nearly the same value as the red for a somewhat subtle effect.

I'll just need to knock down the little bit of edge buildup.  Then... MORE tape!

ImpalaFlames001-vi.jpg

ImpalaFlames002-vi.jpgImpalaFlames2-vi.jpg

58ImpalaTape1-vi.jpg

58ImpalaTape2-vi.jpg58ImpalaFlamesNoTape_1-vi.jpg58ImpalaFlamesNoTape_2-vi.jpg58ImpalaFlamesNoTape_3-vi.jpg

Edited by John Goschke

OH MY .!!!!!!!!!!

So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, whats going over top of this ?  I'm taking the pinstripes will remain the clear red, then something else to be a top coat over top of the red and the flames .

I'm not a huge fan of customs per say,,but I love this one so far

OH MY .!!!!!!!!!!

So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, whats going over top of this ?  I'm taking the pinstripes will remain the clear red, then something else to be a top coat over top of the red and the flames .

I'm not a huge fan of customs per say,,but I love this one so far

Thanks, guys!

Bill, I'll actually be masking the areas within the black tape to create a classic Watson-style outline paint job in gold. This model was inspired by three 58 Impalas Larry painted, the green/gold Jim Doss semi-custom, Dennis Morgan's green/gold hardtop, and a red/gold semi-custom Impala convertible (can't find photos of that one anymore.)

Anybody know how to do a 1/8" pinstripe in 1/25th scale?

6a0ae8c257cb615016b9ad8f86eeda25.jpg

CCC-watson-dennis-morgan-58-chevy-02.jpg

Man! I am really loving this one. Every time I look at your '58, I look at my two, built off of the AMT kit.

I dusted off these old girls, built while my hands were still steady, this one I did 26 years ago

2005_11181965mercurypromo0014.jpg

and this one I did about 20 years ago.

Mama%20meeting%20January%202017%20032_zp

It is one of my favorites, as I almost got to Dad's car with this one. Let' say this is his car after I got my hands on it..

Your '58 is one of my favorites.

I think you have a real winner on your hands John!

I'm not much for customs, but I've always liked these "period" customs with the paneled paint jobs & minimal alterations to the original body lines.

To me it's an acknowledgement that the guys in Detroit knew what they were doing in the design department & the customizers were merely enhancing those designs without butchering them.

Very classy look!

Steve 

Simply gorgeous paint...

Absolutely beautiful John.

This Impala is looking great so far John.  I can't wait to see it finished with all of the chrome in place.

Thanks John for the comments. It looks like your car is going to be absolutely stunning!!!!

I think you have a real winner on your hands John!

I'm not much for customs, but I've always liked these "period" customs with the paneled paint jobs & minimal alterations to the original body lines.

To me it's an acknowledgement that the guys in Detroit knew what they were doing in the design department & the customizers were merely enhancing those designs without butchering them.

Very classy look!

Steve 

Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen!  Didn't get much done on the Impala over the weekend – had to catch up on "real life" stuff that got delayed during the taping and masking process.

Steve, you're right on the virtues of the "mild" and "semi" customs that refine, simplify and enhance the original designs. Those are my favorites as well. However there are many great "full" or "radical" customs that use a good factory design as a starting point to develop something new and brilliant.

Beautiful work. This is one of my favorite threads right now.

"Anybody know how to do a 1/8" pinstripe in 1/25th scale?"

I tried that recently by taping off a pattern, then shooting a thick layer of paint in the color of the intended pinstripe, then a top-coat of the final body color....removed the tape, and lightly sanded/polished the resultant paint ridge in an attempt to reveal the stripe. Unfortunately I was too aggressive and blew through to the base layer, but I can't help but think that with a thick enough layer of paint (and then a LOT of clear on top to level it out), an in-scale pinstripe could be possible.