Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Cal Drag Combo

I had a combo kit that was out in either late 1969 or early 1970 that was the 69 Ford Galaxy and 68 Shelby. The one thing I remember it having that I have not seen since is a clear bubble hood for the Shelby. Still have it, painted transparent grape, but hey I was only 10 when I painted it! I believe it was simply called the Shelby Race Team combo, although I am not 100% ssure about the name

It would be nice to see the Nova wagon kits out again, however..... Just as the Chevelle has be changed into the Modified Stocker, the Nova wagon was cut up into the Bossanova drag car that was reissued by the model king a number of years ago. It's to bad some of these combo kits can't be re-issued, those are some of my favorite releases from the 60's, both in subject and box art.

AMT-08-743-2.jpgm1QmCFVO36QuMYRbT3s9o6w.jpgAMT-08-743-4.jpg

• 1 month later...
JohnG says:

Cal Drag Combo: not beyond the realm of possibility but the trailer would require some backdating at the very least.

Chevelle Drag Team: can’t reissue as the Chevelle Time Machine AWB was modified into the modified stocker. The AWB chassis used under the Chevelle, Olds F-85 and Edsel “funny cars” was not found.

Indy Drag combo: can’t reissue as the Nova wagon was modified into the Boss Nova drag vehicle.

Shelby Drag Team: some comments on trailer, ’68 Shelby missing several original parts.

- See more at: http://www.collectormodel.com/round2-models/2224-whats-a-hanger-shot/#sthash.HCE40hgS.zEDRxBwW.dpuf

The Ford and Chevy pickups used different trailers. The Ford's single axle trailer was sized to fit Trophy Series cars, the Chevy's trailer was bigger and had two axles. Full size, late model cars could fit on it. Most of the racing team trailers are based on the Chevy pickup trailer. It was sold separately in the early Sixties too. If there is a box for the separate trailer (other than a mailing box) I'm not aware of one, or what it looked like.

I'm aware of two AMT trailers: The 2-axle "service trailer" that was sold as a Blueprinter Special a couple decades ago, and the single-axle that might have first appeared in the '64 Corvette annual, and has also been in the Fireball 500 box. Any further details on the origins and lineage of these would be appreciated.

The 2 axle service trailer originated in 1 and 2-axle guise in the 61 pickup kits. The original versions had short sides, later was modded to the tall front guard with tire rack. I don't recall the single axle version anywhere but the trucks. The 2 axle has been reissued a ton of times.

The 64 Vette kit trailer was same as Fireball 500, and there was a 1 and 2-axle version of this I think. I don't remember the kit the 2 axle was in, and I may be wrong, someone just doubled up axles on a build.

MPC had a nice single axle tilt bed in 68-76 Impala kits, and with original Mako Shark.

There was the clear 2 axle service trailer first seen with Ford GT40 Mk IV kit and issued in own small box in 68-69 by MPC.

There was also a couple boat trailers, one that came with the late 50's boat, and one that came with the '63 Ski-Drag boat and the Hull-Raiser/Aquarod/70 Bonneville.

There was a longer U-haul type single axle in the Buick wagon and Nova wagon, I think 63 Nova issue had fat-fenders,

MPC had small U-Haul trailer in 68-9 Coronets, I forget where else. Used to know this stuff. Sorry, but someone here can correct my failings.

I compared a ERTL Blueprinter trailer with an original '60-'62 trailer. They are the same but the tool has met some modification over the years. I think I saw a flyer in the '60 El Camino kit to buy the trailer separately. They even suggested using it a wheel-less display like you might have seen at the used car lot.

Yes, the trailer from the '64 Vette is totally different.

I just took a look at the trailer I still have unbuilt from the '62 Ford pickup, and compared its chassis to the Open Road camper shell. Looks like it might be a good start on making the camper into a trailer if it were shortened, or you could use it as a base for your own little scratchbuilt camper (I'd like to build the Kenskill from the movie Panic in Year Zero!).

Folks,

I'm pretty sure that the trailer pictured here is the one that came in the set with the '53 Ford Pick-Up and the Cobra. I had that kit as a kid and the trailer is still in house... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

post-4416-0-32456100-1424884967.jpg

Edited by Pete L.

I did an article on this topic (with much help from Gary Schmidt) including the box art illustrations, sometime back in the 1990's in my "Model Car Chronicles" semi-recurring feature in the old SAE back then. It underscores/confirms most of info in Keyser's post above.

And the Piranha box art pictured in Pete's post directly above looks to me like the '64 Corvette/Fireball 500 trailer, with the dual axle rear treatment mentioned in Keyser's post. The upturned outer edges of the ramp, and the cross bracing of the trailer, are reminiscent of that trailer rather than the AMT Blueprinter version and its many other releases.

Best regards...TIM

• Like 1

Pretty funny, I remember when that article came out.

I already had every trailer in article, and it was great for making sure I wasn't missing any, which happily, I wasn't.

That was great bunch of articles Tim, I think the boat article and trailer article are amongst my favorites.

I looked at the pic of the Piranha drag team and remembered that was the 2 axle version of the 64 Vette trailer. I think mine came from the Cobra team someone mentioned.

Revell did some nice trailers, and the weird little boat and trailer and water-cycles and trailer. The Sandman dune buggy would be great to see again, lots of room to detail buggy.

revell7404.jpg

• 1 year later...

Greg Meyers pointed out on the box art for the Indy Drag Combo, the Willys in the background is coming off its trailer using no ramps. And he seemed to think that odd. Come on Greg, a Willys don't need no ramps. After all they went on to manufacture Jeeps. And I'm sure that some of that Jeep magic was built into every Willys. Even if the Jeep came after that generation Willys was done. ?

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

I remember buying the Grant King kit. I still have the '53 Ford although the trailer and sprint car are long gone.

I have two of the Revell Sandman boxed sets tucked away in my stash. Add me to the list of those wishing Revell would bring back the dune buggy.  It is a highly simplified kit. It could be a snaptite kit. the tires are one piece castings, the car is about 5 parts, and motor is another 5. But would be great to have back. The quality of the engraving is very high. Issue the trailer and the buggy in one box and you have a great kit.