Model Cars Magazine Forum

?1968 Coronet R/T Test Shots ?

1972coronet

• 2 weeks later...

The pics on IMCDB show a 1968 Coronet 500, which has a special grille and chrome trim around the side scallopes. The car has 68 taillights as well, but has side scoops, which weren't available on a real 68 Coronet, they are a 69 thing. If a 69 car got side scoops (optional), they were only available on the Super Bee and R/T, both of which don't have chrome trim around the scallopes. The movie car also has some non-stock hood scoops. I personally am glad one can build a stock 69 Coronet R/T convertible from the MPC kit. I don't care much for the movie car.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

This one has never been reissued.  Very highly requested kit that Round 2 has already done test shots already.  Improvements in the body and interior have been made.  It's on its way for a February release.  On Youtube HPI guy did a review.  All this and more info can be found on the "Return of the 68' Coronet" thread.

• Like 1

A thread that I'd started almost ten years ago has been dusted off (haha). 

Nobody believed that the coveted MPC 1968 Coronet would see the light of day, no matter what bodystyle it was (hardtop, convertible, or de facto funnycar) -- and here we are, nearly 10 years to the date, and the convertible is OUT and AVAILABLE, with the hardtop in the works! AND, it's not merely a direct reissue -- its tooling is almost 100% NEW !

Pop the cork on the Dom ! 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

A thread that I'd started almost ten years ago has been dusted off (haha). 

Nobody believed that the coveted MPC 1968 Coronet would see the light of day, no matter what bodystyle it was (hardtop, convertible, or de facto funnycar) -- and here we are, nearly 10 years to the date, and the convertible is OUT and AVAILABLE, with the hardtop in the works! AND, it's not merely a direct reissue -- its tooling is almost 100% NEW !

Pop the cork on the Dom ! 

I'll pop the cork with you on this one as well.  We proved the naysayers wrong on this. The convertible will be here in a few weeks.  Later this year a hardtop, followed by a 3rd; a drag car.  

Edited by GMP440
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, GMP440 said:

I'll pop the cork with you on this one as well.  We proved the naysayers wrong on this. The convertible will be here in a few weeks.  Later this year a hardtop, followed by a 3rd; a drag car.  

To be fair the technology that allowed this to happen didn't exist on any sort of affordable level a decade ago. It's sort of like claiming you were right if you said some day we'd all carry computers in our pocket. I mean sure you guys did win the day, but you didn't know how it would actually come about...🤣🤪

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

To be fair the technology that allowed this to happen didn't exist on any sort of affordable level a decade ago. It's sort of like claiming you were right if you said some day we'd all carry computers in our pocket. I mean sure you guys did win the day, but you didn't know how it would actually come about...🤣🤪

I don't see your point. If they said some day we'd all carry computers in our pocket they would be right also. When was a map to the destination required? 

I would agree with you saying we didn't know how it would actually come out.  I don't think anyone would have known.  That is true.  Really don't care how it happened.  I'm glad it happened.  To add, with new technologies coming on line ,far superior to that of ten years ago makes a lot of things feasible today.  That's happening in a lot of industries.   

Edited by GMP440

9 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

To be fair the technology that allowed this to happen didn't exist on any sort of affordable level a decade ago. 

James is 100% correct in his statement here.   

But for me, the whole issue doesn't really matter.  Stepping back and looking at this subject from a broader view, the point is: we now have a new kit of a subject that most of us, particularly those with a deep understanding of the inner workings of the model car kit industry, never ever realistically expected to become available again.  Huge win for all of us!  TB 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

James is 100% correct in his statement here.   

But for me, the whole issue doesn't really matter.  Stepping back and looking at this subject from a broader view, the point is: we now have a new kit of a subject that most of us, particularly those with a deep understanding of the inner workings of the model car kit industry, never ever realistically expected to become available again.  Huge win for all of us!  TB 

I gotta admit the Convertible doesn't do anything for me, but I'll be pacing a path in the carpet until the H/T version comes out. 

It's a win for everyone, except the people with $400 model kits that they probably can't move to anyone now but the .05% of hard core collectors. I do love me some good destruction of kit value.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

I agree with your assessment to an extent -- the 'division' is where the technological  advances are presented. Consider the original premise of this -and countless others like it- thread: 1968 Coronet R/T Test Shots? 
No mention was made about the probability of 3D scanning/ repairing of tooling, it was about a proposed all-new 1968. Just so happens that Round2 was able to take advantage of the technology which came along within these 10 years, and retool the classic MPC annual, with vastly improved components (separate door cards, for an example).

Besides, my back hurts too much to be able to pat it myself these days (haha).

Thank you for presenting your view. No offence taken nor implied, I'm certain. 🙂

31 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Thank you for presenting your view. No offence taken nor implied, I'm certain. 🙂

None whatsoever, I just appreciate keeping the faith to the point of declaring your victory champaign worthy. We didn't know when, we didn't know where, we didn't know how...but we knew dangnabbit!!! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Since we got the 68 Coronet R/T convt kit this past March, will we be seeing the 68 Coronet hardtop kit released in 3rd quarter of this year?  Asking Steve G if Round2 has test shots that can be shown here.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GMP440 said:

Since we got the 68 Coronet R/T convt kit this past March, will we be seeing the 68 Coronet hardtop kit released in 3rd quarter of this year?  Asking Steve G if Round2 has test shots that can be shown here.

There are test shots of the next version of the '68 Coronet R/T but you will have to be patient.  It's not scheduled to be released until later winter 2024.  I expect there will be something to display this fall. 

-Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SteveG said:

There are test shots of the next version of the '68 Coronet R/T but you will have to be patient.  It's not scheduled to be released until later winter 2024.  I expect there will be something to display this fall. 

-Steve

Steve, when you say "later winter 2024" do you mean February/March-ish 2024 or the end of 2024? 

16 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Steve, when you say "later winter 2024" do you mean February/March-ish 2024 or the end of 2024? 

I'd say March/ April 2024 is my best guess for now based on current scheduling but too soon to say for sure. 

-Steve 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SteveG said:

-Steve

YARN | ♪ Don't care how I want it now ♪ | Willy Wonka & the Chocolate  Factory (1971) | Video clips by quotes | 412e80bc | 紗

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...