Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

A top denture plate that has cracked for the FOURTH TIME!! 

It just happened again yesterday, after I just had it fixed hardly three days earlier. I'm off tomorrow so maybe I can get the Dentist to fix it.............again! :angry:

Maybe it's just as well I need to see about getting a new top denture. My gums have shrank and it's not fitting as well as it used to. I just don't feel like spending upwards of $500 for it!

I spent $820 this morning without leaving my driveway as I was out there cutting up some branches to get rid of, and the landscaper came by. I told him what I needed done, he gave me a price and I said do it. A short while later the roofer came by and I told him what I needed, he went up on the roof and checked it out and gave me a price also. I said do it. While I know that a lot of people can spend money online, these things have to be looked at before a price can be given. I'm glad that I didn't need any other estimates today.

One of those days where you know it's gonna suck before you even get out of the house!  :o

Was putting on my socks this morning. The sock catches a corner of my little toe nail and rips the sucker off!  So my toe has been throbbing all day. These things only happen when you are busy and need to get a lot of things done.  With my luck it will get infected and I'll be limping at NNL East.  I knew things were going too well!

The guy I thought I had hired, who was supposed to start today, emailed late yesterday and said he took a different position last week.

Last week?! Screw you buddy. You waited a week to fill me in? A week I could have spent bringing in other candidates for interviews, and maybe actually having someone start today?

Thanks for wasting my time. I sincerely hope that whatever employer hired you calls and tells you they changed their mind.

I had a doctors appointment today and was several minutes early, then after the appointed time, I had to wait a good 25 minutes to see the doc. What, his time is valuable, but mine is not? If the doctor is late or running behind schedule, I should be told this at the desk when I sign in. Seems to me like doctors have no rules.

I had a doctors appointment today and was several minutes early, then after the appointed time, I had to wait a good 25 minutes to see the doc. What, his time is valuable, but mine is not? If the doctor is late or running behind schedule, I should be told this at the desk when I sign in. Seems to me like doctors have no rules.

Similar thing happened to my in-laws. She had a post cancer screening and showed up early. She waited for 2 hours before they even remembered she was there!! This after signing in!! The next week she had a follow up with the same Doctor. She was 15 minutes late due to traffic, but the office cancelled her appointment and would not reschedule..... My father in law raised unholy hadies with the receptionist about that one, but it seems they can do anything they want. 

I once waited for a doctor for about an hour.  This was when I was still working and had to take some vacation time during the day.  When I left the docs office I expressed my displeasure and then created an invoice that I sent him for 1 hour of my time.  They refused to pay but didn't charge me for the next visit.  I was seen at the proper time on the next visit too.

Doctors usually overbook their patient's appointments and always are "running late".  I rarely see any of my doctors within 1/2 hour of when my appointment is scheduled...  Yes, it is very annoying.

Always "running late?" When I was working, if I ran late a few times I would be running to the unemployment office as my employers didn't need guys who ran late.

It's tough getting good service technicians these days.

Our Whirlpool Gold oven started going on the fritz. The heating elements would just go off. The panel would go blank but the power was still there because the light worked. An online search indicated the control panel was going out. My wife remembered she was happy with the people who did our Fridge so she called them again. I'm not sure who she meant to call but a Sears repairman showed up. The cost for the visit is 100.00. OK. He was rude to Gram, he was rude to me, and he was rude to my wife. He confirmed the control panel is going out. It took him 10 minutes. The name the estimate.... 750.00 for the part. 250.00 for the labor. We paid him his 100.00 and sent him on his way.

I check Amazon and found the part for 150.00. I found an excellent you tube video that perfectly shows every step in installing the control panel from start to finish. It also lets you know the tools you need, (nothing special) and has some safety tips. The entire video is only 21 minutes long! I should have sucked it up and tried to do the work myself from the beginning AND we should have checked YELP before letting these people come out. Everything I said above was repeated in one testimony after another. I added one more 1 star review to the list. There is no option for 0 stars.

It's tough getting good service technicians these days...There is no option for 0 stars.

It's the same in every service industry, but every time I mention it, particularly on this board for some reason, I'm met with a flurry of comments about how I'm just an angry old man who's past it and simply likes to bash on young people.

The truth is that this is nothing new. There are VERY FEW "technicians" in any field who are worth paying to do much of anything. I speak from over 40 years in several technical fields...every facet of the car business (except sales), aircraft repair and modification, and several related areas working as an engineering consultant. Even people with certifications that are generally thought to only be available to competent individuals (ASE, aviation A&P, etc.) are usually lacking in the skills they're supposed to be qualified for.

One shop I work with these days has been looking for a reasonably qualified older-car mechanic for over a year. The last hire gets so many comebacks and misses so much obvious stuff, we've decided to send him on down the road...and this is a guy with 10 years "experience" working as a tech and the service manager in a local independent Porsche shop. He's flatly totally and completely incompetent, just won't listen when you try to nicely help him through something, constantly asks for help with stuff he should be intimately familiar with, and when you DO help him out, he just goes ahead and buggers the job anyway. Time after time after time. And he actually seems to THINK he's good; textbook Dunning-Kruger effect.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

The last aviation shop I worked in had one tech who put brake pads in BACKWARDS, and seemed to be unable to read and comprehend written information...which is a LARGE part of the job of being an aviation mechanic That alone should have been sufficient to get him canned, and his supervisor reprimanded, but when I got disgusted and left the place, the idiots were still happily buggering airplanes. He was, by the way, a federally-licensed A&P mechanic, a graduate of a "license-mill" that guarantees ANYONE can pass, and charges many thousands of dollars to "train" mechanics, and get them their papers.

Every day, day in and day out, without fail, I see fine old cars that have been bodged and buggered by "experts" who actually got paid to do horrible, unsightly, and often dangerous "work". It's their carp that keeps us in business, and WE should have fired the clown I mentioned above after the first couple of weeks...but anybody with even a decent looking resume is so rare, the management elected to keep him on in spite of his incompetence, hoping he'd shape up.

One well-known and respected IT wizard estimates only about 10% of his colleagues are even "reasonably competent", and only about 2% are what he'd rate as "very competent".

So when you get an idiot appliance repairman, or odd-job handyman, or "builder", or just about anything else that requires a functioning BRAIN as well as a willingness to do "dirty" work, don't be surprised.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

It's a beautiful day here today, but I got chased out of my own house early this AM with blaring music coming from some kind of ethnic thing across the street in the parking lot of a mostly vacant little shopping center. 

The fact that there's an African DJ screaming in some language I'm not familiar with, playing mostly reggae, rap and Afro-pop doesn't bother me. My neighborhood is becoming more "culturally diverse" every day, and that's OK as long as folks treat each other with respect and common courtesy.

What DOES bother me is the frigging music is loud enough to rattle the windows. I personally like jazz and classical and old rock, and if somebody was playing any of that across the street...THIS DAMMED LOUD...I'd be pretty PO'd too.

If it's still going after dark, I'm calling the cops. Enough is enough. I don't blare the music I like so loud that the whole damm neighborhood is FORCED to listen to it, and I really don't understand why these clowns think THEY have a right to force ME to listen to THEIR carp.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

so, it's 1AM at the GSL26 host hotel and there's no place open in walking distance that has cold medicine.

ARRRRGGGGGG!!!!!!

I understand that. I'm trying to shake some kind of upper respiratory + gut-rot thing that had me really knocked down for a couple of days. Still hacking and coughing way too much to work in dust mask / respirator, and as the current projects in the big-car shops require that, I'm home on the interwebs. Pretty understanding clients, but I really HATE to miss work.

you might be able to get away with an EM pulse since the shopping center is mostly vacant...

maybe a PA system that plays their carpy music back 180deg out of phase...

I like the way you think.  :D    (They did shut down at 7:00 PM on the dot. I just hope this isn't going to be a weekly thing.)

Our crawl space under the house was loaded with stuff collected over the years, and I was hopin' that much later down the road, the kids would end up cleaning it out. Not so as I went into the crawl space this past Monday and there was water in the space. Wow, it's been dry down there for 20+ years. Well the sump pump gave out and that's what happens. I got a plumber out the next day on Tuesday and he changed out the pump, but the drain seemed clogged so he had to rod that out also. This morning I had a water & fire restoration company come out and remove all the contents stored in the crawl space, removed the water, sanitize the space, and now have four fans running and a dehumidifier. Now we have to go through all the contents and pitch all that was water damaged as well as stuff we'll never use. The stuff we want to keep will be re boxed and returned to the space.What a job! Guess I'll have to have that sump pump replaced every few years whether it needs it or not, as I'm not goin' through this again. That does irk me, however stuff like that does happen. Oh well.

Doctors usually overbook their patient's appointments and always are "running late".  I rarely see any of my doctors within 1/2 hour of when my appointment is scheduled...  Yes, it is very annoying.

Last time i went to the doctor, i was the first appointment... 8 am,  and still waited 20 minutes... go figure.