Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

I use a service called eSnipe.  http://www.esnipe.com/    They have a free trial for 30 bids, see details on their main page.

It is a paid service, but very reasonable.  You only pay when you win a lot and it's a quarter when you win something $25 or under, and 1% for auction wins over that.  I buy $10 worth of bid points maybe once a year.  Very reliable service.  They email you if you get outbid 90 minutes before auction end so you can react.

The other good thing is that when you bid on their site, you haven't officially placed a bid on eBay.  So you can change your mind and delete or modify bids right up to 5 minutes before your auction ends.  You know those times when you've bid high on the last old kit in the world, and then one shows up cheap?

My brother backing the Daily Driver out of the Drive Way and got hit by a car and tore off the rear bumper of the Car ?

spent the afternoon getting ready for vacation to leave early in the morning now I have to Rent a Car because I need this vacation?

image.jpg

yeah really sucks already called my insurance company they want to send the adjuster out Monday said no way be gone up in the mountains away from it all ? for a whole week gonna be Fun ?

Send the adjuster a photo of the damage, as that's how people who keep up with the "times"  do it. I'm not one of them though.

Do you have remote entry ? I heard that if that happens and you have a wife or someone who has access to your spare that you can hold your phone up to your lock and if they press the unlock button on  on the spare remote and using their phone  your door will unlock. Does anyone know if this really works ? I never tried it.

Do you have remote entry ? I heard that if that happens and you have a wife or someone who has access to your spare that you can hold your phone up to your lock and if they press the unlock button on  on the spare remote and using their phone  your door will unlock. Does anyone know if this really works ? I never tried it.

interesting idea, but don't think the signal would go over the phone--it's not an audio signal).  Anyway, the fob on my spare set of keys is dead.  I called my sister, she's going to pick up my spare keys and bring them to me on the way to work....a bit out of the way since I work in Scottsdale and she works in Glendale.  Better than if it had happened a month ago when she was working in LA....would have called AAA or looked for a rock....I think this is only the 3rd time I've done this in almost 30 years of driving :(

interesting idea, but don't think the signal would go over the phone--it's not an audio signal).  Anyway, the fob on my spare set of keys is dead.  I called my sister, she's going to pick up my spare keys and bring them to me on the way to work....a bit out of the way since I work in Scottsdale and she works in Glendale.  Better than if it had happened a month ago when she was working in LA....would have called AAA or looked for a rock....I think this is only the 3rd time I've done this in almost 30 years of driving :(

Highly recommended:

Village Locksmith

• 4225 N Scottsdale Rd
  • Phone number(480) 946-2542

well, 'bout 3 weeks ago a jeep got me into my gmc

was working 50 miles out of town & at lunch time did the same thing, locked the keys in my truck-head bang....wife could'nt get off work till 5, so this was really sucking.

then my co-worker tried his '93 YJ key in my '90 GM & lo and behold, it opened the door.

too bad you did'nt have Onstar, my buddy with a denali gets his moneys worth, they have to unlock it for him once or twice a month.....

Funny you mention Onstar...my sister's Caddy DTS and my Caddy STS both have it, but never had a lockout with either one..  funny thing about keys..my sister has a couple of old Mercedes--'84 500SEL and a '91 300CE, and the keys will interchange to open the door and trunk locks, but not the igntions...

Funny you mention Onstar...my sister's Caddy DTS and my Caddy STS both have it, but never had a lockout with either one..  funny thing about keys..my sister has a couple of old Mercedes--'84 500SEL and a '91 300CE, and the keys will interchange to open the door and trunk locks, but not the igntions...

As I'm weird like that, it might be worth going to the hardware store and seeing if they can cut you a couple of keys to keep in your wallet for the door in case of such a thing.

I keep two key rings. One for the car, one for my house and other buildings. On the house key-ring, I keep a spare door key for my car in case of oops.

Charlie Larkin

As I'm weird like that, it might be worth going to the hardware store and seeing if they can cut you a couple of keys to keep in your wallet for the door in case of such a thing.

I keep two key rings. One for the car, one for my house and other buildings. On the house key-ring, I keep a spare door key for my car in case of oops.

Charlie Larkin

Funny thing is, this is only the 3rd time I've done this in nearly 30 years of driving.  And it was 6:30am and I was tired (been up since 3:30am w/ insomnia) and my Jeep doesn't chime anymore if you get out w/ the key in the ignition, so I just spaced out I guess.  I lock and unlock 3 of the doors w/ the fob, but the driver's door I have to use the key or the lock button (the electricals in the driver's door are out again...it's served me well for 15+ years and 160k+ miles, but it's about time for a new daily driver...

Edited by Rob Hall

My father used to lock himself out of the car all the time.  He'd do things like tossing his jacket in the truck... with his keys in his pocket. And of course he'd call me to bail him out.  I got smart and kept a key to his car in my wallet.  Saved me half a trip every time.

I didn't know you could lock your keys in a modern car.  I thought there was a sensor in the key or something.  I'll have to check, but I believe my 2006 Buick wouldn't let me lock the doors with the key in the car.

My father used to lock himself out of the car all the time.  He'd do things like tossing his jacket in the truck... with his keys in his pocket. And of course he'd call me to bail him out.  I got smart and kept a key to his car in my wallet.  Saved me half a trip every time.

I didn't know you could lock your keys in a modern car.  I thought there was a sensor in the key or something.  I'll have to check, but I believe my 2006 Buick wouldn't let me lock the doors with the key in the car.

I think the anti-lockout only appears on some cars. I do remember Dodge had that on the Dynasty as early as 1990 if your car was equipped with power locks. Basically, if the key bell circuit was closed, the circuit to the driver's-side power lock was left open. The other doors would lock, but not the driver door.

I'll have to play with some new cars and see what does and doesn't, because I do like that idea.

Charlie Larkin

I think the anti-lockout only appears on some cars. I do remember Dodge had that on the Dynasty as early as 1990 if your car was equipped with power locks. Basically, if the key bell circuit was closed, the circuit to the driver's-side power lock was left open. The other doors would lock, but not the driver door.

I'll have to play with some new cars and see what does and doesn't, because I do like that idea.

Charlie Larkin

My Jeep used to chime if I left the keys in and got out, but it's 15 years old and worn...    My STS with push button start will chime if I get out and leave the fob inside, so I *shouldn't* be able to lock it in.

Extra-special-just-for-you-Yankee-boy Chinese tie-rod-ends I put in a friend's car back in February are already slap worn out. 

No, I didn't expect them to go well over 100,000 miles like the originals did, but I DID expect them to last longer than 5,000 miles.

It's really pathetic businesses in this country are all too damm good to actually make anything here anymore, and only want to make their clean-hands money doing nothing but marking up cheap, sub-par offshore junk.

Irked? A definite understatement.