Model Cars Magazine Forum

Late '50s era Cad powered '29 Ford rod...on deuce rails

traditional

PB080515_zps60d973f7.jpg

PB080514_zpsd3130b96.jpg

I used, mostly, just the body from a First Gear Ford Model A promo bank, and added hand-made deuce rails, Revell deuce grill shell (with MCG photo-etch grill), cut open the doors, modified the deck area to be a trunk rather than a rumble-seat/bank, modified and detailed a '50s Cadillac engine (from a basic Revell engine kit), built a radiator in brass sheet, formed the hood in aluminum sheet, used wheels/tires modified from my parts-bin, fabricated the front axle/suspension (in brass, aluminum, and styrene), fabricated a traditional transverse rear spring suspension, built a tuck-n-roll interior from styrene sheet, added fabricated bobbed rear fenders and front cycle fenders, and used craft plated wire and aluminum sheet/tubing to make all the various details.
Paint is basecoat/clearcoat.

​My wife tells me that I've spent almost 200 hours on the model.....all pleasurable hours.

PB080499_zpsf7af8265.jpg

PB080510_zpse49e2c3f.jpg

PB080511_zps9199f252.jpg

PB080506_zps3861f8d1.jpg

Superb. Right color and detail for the era. It's a powerful argument for the benefits of working in metal which allows a thinner edge, greater crispness of detail, and more control than is sometimes available in plastic. This is a true multimedia effort drawing from whatever sources are necessary to get the job done. And it succeeds brilliantly in capturing the period. Bravo! Beautiful work.

Edited by Bernard Kron