Model Cars Magazine Forum

Too many projects going on.

Since i always tend to have to wait for parts or stuff drying from paint there is around 5 or 6 at the same time.

Fiddling with these now.

69 Pontiac GTO "pro touring"

69 Camaro ls7 twin turbo "pro touring"

66 Beetle with flat12.

70 Impala "Street machine".

63 Polara Max Wedge.

69 Dodge Charger pro street.

I need help :rolleyes:

Edited by om617

I've tried building more 2 or 3 models at the same time but found that I really wasn't getting anything good accomplished on any of them. My usual M.O. is to work on one at a time until I finish it, or it goes back in the box due to "complications".

Usually I only work on one project at a time, but I have 3 on the backburner while I carry on with the Tamiya Mini Cooper that I'm building for Commission, then I need to crack on with the Revell VW Beetle, which is for the Tamiya International magazine ....

Technically,all 1200 of my kits are projects.Some are just more started than others. :D

I don't have 1,200, but I usually do not buy a kit without something in mind. I will open it up and assemble something in it, or find parts for the build. probably have at least 50 that are in the 20% and up started phase.

Find a dusty old assembled (but never painted) Snap-Fast Plus '96 Dodge Ram Dually has led the impetus to start building out the first half dozen projects for a long stalled diorama/photo backdrop idea. I've found that since two of them are large vehicles I'm running out of space to shuffle things in and out of the "work zone" the way my work bench is configured, not to mention the other dozen or so projects I have in every stage. From body work completed (building modern cars you tend to have to shoot at least part of the chassis the same color as the car, and I hate when things don't match from being painted at separate times) to one that really just needs to be glued together, but I can't find the gumption to final up assembly.

I see a lot of people talking about having more kits than time, but being a Stay-at-Home Dad I bet I have 6 hours a day (2 hours in the morning, 2 hours in the evening, and 1-3 hours worth of nap time) when I have the place to myself with everyone asleep in some form, and a few hours on the weekend before and after I get home from work. But that's if EVERYTHING goes exactly to plan...and any fathers in here knows that never happens, and the few days it does you're so busy playing catch-up from the other days.

More kits than time...no...I have more kids than sleep! :o:lol:

Edited by niteowl7710

Always collecting kits and parts for planned builds...

Haven't finished but only 3 in the last 7 years or so. But have several stalled builds going, and a few mockups done in the middle of builds.

But that is how I enjoy this hobby. And that is just what it is, something you enjoy doing! So just build how it makes you happy! One at a time or several going at the same time.... Its yours to find what fits your style.

and I agree with bbowser.....always something to work on

Do what works for you! It's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun and relaxing. Some find they do better concentrating on one project, others have a dozen going. Myself I usually have 3 going in different stages so I always have something to work on depending on my mood, paint or glue drying, etc.

Edited by Davemodeltech

:huh: I'm definitely in the minority here. I only work on one at a time. I only have one cracked open and on the bench at any one time. I may look at others but I won't start them until the current one is done. How do you guys keep track on what you are doing with all of those in-progress kits? I will now go hang my head in shame.... :P

How do you guys keep track on what you are doing with all of those in-progress kits?

I don't have them, on the bench, at the same time. I just switch between them. I put all the parts, from one, into a box (or boxes) & break out another one. The boxes are always, close at hand.

How do you guys keep track on what you are doing with all of those in-progress kits?

I make notes to myself and leave them in the boxes when I shelve one project to get into another one. It really only takes a few seconds to hit the salient points, at least enough to have memory-joggers. Where there are important dimensions or sketches needed to remind me of how I've figured out to do something, that takes a few more minutes, but I've found I can get back into a project quickly with the notes. I also now tend to list which kits parts have been robbed from, in case I change my mind later and want to reunite them with their donors, or in case I should happen to do a write-up on something.

I also take a lot of photographs of projects in mockup stages, to be sure I don't lose critical elements of stance and proportion.

I've also just about completed setting up a new multiple-bench work space, where I can have as many as 4 major projects going simultaneously without having to shelve one to work on another one. It's a real luxury to be able to glue or paint something that will have to dry thoroughly before a project can move forward, and to be able to just go to the next bench and continue another build. I'm thinking I might actually finish a few models with this new layout.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Many have spoken here . None have mentioned dealing with the environs . I must paint while the weather is harmonious with Painting . I donate too many ruined finishes to the "pond" while being cautious and mindful of this problem . . Due to my diminishing abilities , I must undo this Mass Production Painting during the warm weather . I mixed up , lost many pieces , along with three wasted efforts . To the "pond" , meanwhile the cost of painting continue to escalate . Out of close to twenty , 8 are perfection . The rest need more work - paint (which I ran out of) - sanded , touched up , missing coverage . Pus the aforementioned 3 in the Tank .. One at a time from now on in the Paint Shop ! Really ..

This collection Ive been at since 1984 . Previously 1958 - 1978 . So , what works for you ; is what you are . I build Factory Stock . I am retentive . I have a pile of Muscle cars lacking the right tires for example . I won't put on tires made decades after the last 1: 1 disappeared from the Dealers Lots for example . I spend much time researching and getting it right . I do saves , glue bomb , restorations , and Modifying non- stocks to replicas . As a result , I have more WIP's than I can count . I agree with the statement from NachoZ : "all of mine stash are WIP's" , to paraphrase . Don't fear , it does accumulate . . Caution : Avoid being overwhelmed . Thanx ..

• 2 weeks later...

Being newly back to this hobby I really didn't know what to expect of myself, or what I wanted out of the whole thing. Now, with ELEVEN projects in the works that range from a sprint car still on the trees (and soaking in soap water) to a drag car that needs maybe an hours' worth of work to finish it; over sixty models unbuilt in-house (and four more on the way), and only ONE project finished in five months... Well, I'm needin' a judgement call-

Is this natural?

A broken-ankle and a LOT of down-time haven't helped things. I get bored easily, although I'm not bored with any of my current projects.

My twin daughters are also workin' on their next projects, a '27 T and a '62 Vette. The kitchen table gets pretty crowded.

Okay, just rantin' a little. I know I'm a little nuts. Seems that I'm in good company.

Dale

Right now there are four projects out on the bench. All at that 80% plus stage and going nowhere! I am trying to get the two Dodge Caravans off the bench but every time I take a step forward, I wind up going two back!

I still have my 24 Hour Build Dodge A100 pickup taking up bench space. Yesterday I broke one of the hinges off and spent time making a new one and trying to touch up the paint. This one isn't perfect but I need to get it outta here!

My Dodge van camper is growing cobwebs up in the corner of the bench. As I stopped to try to figure a way to make the chassis removable to show off the interior, it's just been sitting and getting damaged.

Beyond that, I have my 1960 Plymouth stretch limo and 1951 Chevy Traveller camper that I'm aching to get back to, but have made myself work on finishing the 80%ers first. Still, I keep buying great new kits I'm dying to work on, but there needs to be some order and discipline here!

I do have that shelf with 25-30 unfinished projects. I don't call those in progress, they're marooned! And every so often I pull one down and finish it.

I only have a few projects from the last few years that have no been finished, and probably wont get finished.

Maybe we need to have a 'trade a doomed project' day on the board! Then again there are guys who would get upset seeing one of their stuck projects finished by someone else. :rolleyes:

I kept looking at my current? project, stuck,.. for so long, I put it away, ....

and started,... and finished a less complicated, but detailed build Bing Bang Boom!

Went back to the previous build, and knocked out the problem fairly quickly (for me),

And now moving on,...

SQUIRREL

That '62 Tbird is looking at me!!