Model Cars Magazine Forum

Too many projects going on.

I find I usually have 3 going at once. I am into tractor trailers, so usually its a rig, a trailer, and a car of some sort. as mentioned earlier, it's nice to have something to mess with while paint and glue are drying :)

I've got 3 right now. One that just needs the motor and intercooler. Still working on interior for another and just getting body work started on the 3rd

I hate waiting for things to dry so I move around. If more than one kit require parts to be painted the same color, I like to do a mad spray to save on time and clean up

At the end of last year I had 8 builds long going and I made a resolution to finish them all before I started any more. I soon finished all 8 and 2 or 3 new ones. I was Happy, Happy, Happy.

Now I am stalled again on one that was moving fast until I ran into a problem with the tires not working. It has been 3 weeks since I did anything to it. I just want to start another but, I don't want to get back in a rut with too many uncompleted. These tires just have me too upset for no reason. Don't want to ruin a perfect model like I have so many times.

Call me crazy. I'm just looking for inspiration on here. I am envious of so many on here who make it look so easy. I like to follow some of the on going builds which really only make me want to start another project. It's a crazy vicious circle sometimes but, I love it.

I would just say to you build as many as you are comfortable with until it is no longer fun. Take a break a while if you feel the need. After all, it is just a hobby.

I generally have 2 or 3 long term (> 1 year anticipated) and then 1, 2 or 3 short or shorter term projects going or lined up. sometimes its overwhelming but then I tend to finish up a few at once so that is pretty satisifying. I don't not finish projects, if I am serious enough to start something, I stick with it in almost all cases, I cannot really recall anything that I gave up on in the past 10 years, even though some stayed on back burners for a long while.

jb

I usually have 3 builds going at a time. For the past month there were 4 and now I'm up to 5 in progress. One of them is a long term '40 Ford pickup with a VW bus body added on. Lots of door openings to do. Hinges used to be a pain, but with the Fatkidd Hobby Products hinge bender, they're easy to make.

As I remember in the past I have only worked on one at a time but now I find myself resurrecting My Tweedy Pie project, starting a 26 Ford Sedan delivery a 31 Ford Sedan delivery, a 41 Ford phantom sedan delivery researching and part collecting for the Kookie T. and yesterday I started thinking about a doing the Ala Kart as a sedan delivery. It looks like I will busy during my retirement.

On the bench or in my mind? :blink:

Seriously, either way, way the hell to many! On the bench I have 5 at last count. I generally work hard on one until I hit a road block or is that mental block and I let it sit an ruminate in the back of my mind until I figure out how to proceed(see Zen and the art of Motorcycle repair.) Right now I have a really complex aircraft build, a scratch built hot rod, a WRC diorama, and aircraft and car diorama and a Tamiya Mercedes CKL(been on the bench for over 13 years). I also have a project of a bunch of turned aluminum rims(18 if your interested) on the lathe/mill bench.

In my mind: who the heck knows. Every time I see a kit, my brain starts work it. Dangerous situation, that!

Last count it was 20 waiting for me ... I'm known to not finish a lot, but it'd just that I enjoy working on them so mush I hate to put them on the shelf! There's 3 right now on my bench and been on and off with them ... sometimes work on all in one day.

Any pics of the rims?

Long way off and the project isn't due for a couple of more months.

Roughing out blanks from 3/4" bar stock with a hole saw.

cutout1_zpsf3a860bb.jpg

Knocking the rough edges off and initial sizing of the blanks.

turningablank_zps439240e5.jpg

Rough blanks on the left, sized blanks on the right.

halfandhalf_zpsd6c614d5.jpg

As I remember in the past I have only worked on one at a time but now I find myself resurrecting My Tweedy Pie project, starting a 26 Ford Sedan delivery a 31 Ford Sedan delivery, a 41 Ford phantom sedan delivery researching and part collecting for the Kookie T. and yesterday I started thinking about a doing the Ala Kart as a sedan delivery. It looks like I will busy during my retirement.

I think I see a pattern, here. I'm a long roof lover, myself, especially if the sides are blanked off.

I probably have answered this for several here before as I do movie props , museum exhibit work and yes, dioramas . I guess the best way to describe my projects is what I have parts to finish. Generaly speaking , that can mean one diorama , two magazine articles , one movie prop .

Edited by Eshaver