Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

'48 Ford Woody Street Rod Is Completed

mrmike

In the last several years, I have become interested in Ford Woodys. I picked up the Monogram '48 Ford Woody kit #85-4282 several years ago with the hope of building it stock, but as time went by, that changed. I wanted to build a street rod Woody. I kept the lowered suspension, dual exhaust, and wide whitewall tires from Revell's '48 Ford Custom Coupe kit that I built previously. For motivation, I will not use the stock flathead engine. Instead, I'll use the intake manifold, tri-carbs, and Ardun heads from Revell's '50 Ford Pickup.

Monogram's '48 Ford Woody Kit #852 -4282.

48Woody01.jpg

My paint will be Testors Colors By Boyd Boyd Red enamel since I wanted a dark red instead of my normal bright red. Also shown are some of the extra parts I have procured.

48Woody02.jpg

48Woody03.jpg

More to come...

Edited by mrmike

Cool! I'm using the same parts on a woody I'm working on now. Be aware you'll probably have to sand down the pins sticking up from the chassis that the rear axle rest against otherwise the suspension won't seat properly. Look forward to seeing your progress.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks guys!
I've been looking at a way to be able to fit the Ardun headed engine into the engine compartment of the '48 Woody. I found a solution...move the inner fenders. I studied the instructions and compared part fitment and locations. I hope this works! I started by using the backside of my hobby knife with a chisel blade and scribed a 7/8 ths inch line along the inner fender. I didn't want to remove the entire inner fender, just score enough so I can move the inner fender over to make room for the engine.
48Woody04.jpg
48Woody05.jpg
Wow!!! It fits!
48Woody06.jpg
More to come...

Thanks guys! I think the engine compartment will work now that I have widen it. I could have gone wider or even removed the side panels altogether. I think it would be best to leave them in.

The engine has been painted with Tamiya TS-49 Bright Red. The heads will have the plug holes drilled out and given a liberal coating of Dullcoat to knock down the shine of the chrome.

48Woody07.jpg

I primered the body parts this morning and painted the hood this afternoon. The Body requires a little more sanding.

48Woody08.jpg

I painted the floor pan and the wheels.

48Woody09.jpg

More to come...

Thanks Bill and Charlie!

A chance to paint some parts this morning. I pre-assembled much of the suspension and painted them semi-gloss black.
48Woody10.jpg
The floor pan got another coat of Boyd Red.
48Woody11.jpg
I assembled the wheels and tires. I think the wide whitewalls will look great on this Woody!
48Woody12.jpg
More to come...

Thanks Charlie!

I mocked up the headers for the Ardun Ford and they hung way too low and didn't come anywhere near the exhaust system. I thought about a possible solution and this is what I did. I measured the distance from the exhaust to the headers and I cut that amount from the first header pipe and made slightly shorter cuts in the second and third pipe leaving the fourth pipe connected to the header flange. I glued and clamped the pipes back to the header flange and after they dried, they lined up perfectly.

48Woody13.jpg

I mocked up the wheels with the nearly completed chassis for a look. I like it!

48Woody14.jpg

I need to finish the engine and chassis.

48Woody15.jpg

More to come...

Thanks Fabrizio and Carl!

Carl, the basic kit is a good one, but don't forget that this is a kitbash from two other kits. I may start on the '49 Merc Woody after this one is complete.

I finished the engine this morning. I even found an oval air cleaner in the parts box that I painted with Alclad II Chrome paint.

48Woody16.jpg

48Woody17.jpg

48Woody18.jpg

I need to adjust the plug boots before installing the body.

More to come...

I'm really enjoying watching what you're doing here, especially the Ardun conversion. Your mods are very much in keeping with real-world work to get things to fit in hot-rods, and it's good to see someone taking the time to figure it out, and the effort to make it look like it all belongs together.