Model Cars Magazine Forum

'62 Imperial Crown 4 door hardtop

realgone58

I've had this kit for about 25 years, molded in maroon, built and needing a restoration. Finally did something with it. The Foxcraft fender skirts were glued so tight that I could not attempt getting them off without breaking the quarters, so they live on. This is an old Revell kit from late '61, and no replacement parts are available, so I had to be careful. The color is '62 Mopar Sapphire Blue metallic, laquer with several coats of DuPont 7480S clear. It is built as a curbside due to lack of detail under the hood. Interior is a matching blue with charcoal metallic dash, and black flocking for carpet and rear deck. Chrome is done in Spaz-Stix. After looking at it for 25 years in it's former sad state, I'm happy to have it done now.

IMG_4729.JPG

IMG_4730.JPG

IMG_4731.JPG

IMG_4732.JPG

IMG_4733.JPG

IMG_4735.JPG

The skirts look great on it.............Sure suits those low, lovely lines! That's an excellent resto! Gotta love those spaceship taillights on top of the fins!

I have somewhere in my stash the two door version of this car, I wonder how well AMT's '57 Chrysler 300 chassis would kitbash with this?

Nice work Alan, I like it a lot and I also think the skirts look cool.

I don't think I've ever seen the Revell kit built before and wasn't aware that it was a 4-door - there really aren't enough 4-doors in scale. (I recently bought '60 and '62 AMT convertibles to restore.)

That's some nice work Alan. Those skirts brought it back to the early '60's. I love those late 50's/early '60's Exner Imperials. I have one of those Revell 4-door hardtops to restore too.

DSCF2663.jpg

I have just about everything to bring this one back to life. Some of the parts are not available, so I have to adapt some AMT pieces , and cobble up some of my own.

I may close in the rear backlight in the style of the LeBaron 4-door Hardtop, as I like that bodystyle better than the Crown Hardtop.

imperial.jpg

Here's the same photo with the skirts Photoshopped on the car with the rear wheel flares removed, and some additional chrome mouldings added to the rear quarters.

1962ImperialLebaron_casey.jpg

Those skirts give the car a longer look. I'm not sure if I would go with them, but my color will be either Black, Navy Blue, Dark Forest Green, Or Cordovan, with a coordinating interior.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

Wow looks great! Another oldie I wish Revell would dust off the dies for and repop. In the mean time, great job Alan.

Scott

Along with the '62 Chrysler Newport convertible. I'd buy at least one or two of those.

Nice job, Al, and I like the skirts- I think they look good on it.

Charlie Larkin

I have one (and used to own a real one) as well, which I posted here about a year ago:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=61385&p=976713

The Revell Imperial is rather fiddly to build, especially the areas behind the headlights which I ended up scratchbuilding, but it captures the lines of the car very well. Fit on the glass is approximate at best.

And Charlie, I agree about the '62 Chrysler - it's not as crisply molded as the Jo-Han 300 but it's the only game in town if you want a low-line Newport (plus its wheelcovers are much more accurate).

Edited by ChrisBcritter