Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Ford Mustang GT Update.............Making a pretty face prettier! 8/22/15

MrObsessive

I'm at a loss for words. Just awesome craftsmanship.

In 1995 I was 15 years old, with my dad at his plant on the far south side of Chicago. We were coming home for the weekend back up to the NW burbs of Chicago. He pointed to a hobby shop near his office and said we should go in. I could not even tell you what the shop name was or even location but I remember it was well stocked. At that time AMT must have flooded the market with these kits, they seemed to be everywhere. So my dad bought me one of these (the issue you have). He died a year later.

With this kit and a few others he bought me, they still sit unbuilt. I have been waiting until my skills would reach to that point where I gave them that level of quality I think they should be at. Reading this thread is just the bump I need. This site has shown me tips, tricks and advanced my skills light years. Now watching this as a step by step and giving the kit that extra level of detail, I think I can do this to.

Thank you for sharing Bill!

Hopefully you'll do them justice and keep them for a long, long, long time... Looking forward to seeing a WIP on this forum soon...

Thanks for the nice words John!

I wrote an article for MCM (May/June '14 issue) where I show one way to make channels for your sedan doors. I also wrote an article years ago (late '09) for MCM on how to step by step, make those channels you see on the Mustang for front and rear windows. If I'm going to make my own windows using clear stencil sheet------yes, making channels are a must for me!

I don't want to give too much away here, as I'd like for MCM to make money off the sales of the mags.........but if you pick up those articles, it should answer a lot of your questions.

Been looking that magazine for along time here in Canada and never could find it

Bill, do you make your own stripes?

I'll be using the ones on the decal sheet in the kit. I have made my own stripes in the past................here's a pic of what I did to an '05 Mustang a while back. Large stripes like this I don't care for decals------painted on ones IMO look a lot better especially where the light will catch it most as on the top!

photo-vi.jpg

photo1-vi.jpg

To save you a little time check out the parts Larry Boothe did for R&M. Larry did some nice conversion parts for this kit.

http://public.fotki.com/crstan/replican-and-miniat/replicas-and-miniat/

I can send you pics of the parts as I did not see them on the link above.

Yeah I don't see them on the link either...........if you'd like send 'em to me at Plastiksurgeon@icloud.com

As far as progress, not much to go on as I've just got home after being gone all day. I did start work on making a much better detailed carburetor than the blob of plastic the kit gives you. Hopefully tomorrow, and if Fotki is acting like it has good sense, I'll post pics of what's happening with it so far. ;)

After a VERY busy week at work (10+ hour days), I finally was able to get a few little things done on the Mustang late in the week and this morning. I was hoping this was going to be a "quick" build, but that's turning out not to be the case, as I want to keep adding detail where I think it's needed. Just the same, it's going rather quick for me as there's no major body work I've done ala the '59 Impala.

Here's what is going on at the moment...............

photo-vi.jpg

????????????

Ok, that lump of plastic just won't do as a carburetor! I'm going to try to detail this as best as I can, as there will be times that the model will be displayed with the hood open, and the air cleaner off.

Here I've hollowed out the inside with first a dremel moto tool, and then a large round file.

photo3-vi.jpg

photo5-vi.jpg

Next, we need some "throats" to put inside the hollowed out portion. These are K&S's Special Shapes brass tubing. It's the smallest size that they carry, and I'm not sure what the I.D. is on these. They just look "in scale" to me, and they're easy to section off being brass.

photo9-vi.jpg

I put a piece of .020 plastic on the bottom of the carb, and drilled out holes for the throats.

photo1-vi.jpg

Here it is so far with the divider in place along with a couple "jets". Much more detail I'm going to add to this. Linkage, choke detail with plate, various nuts and bolts, etc.

photo3-vi.jpg

I set the carb aside for a minute, and wanted to focus on getting the plug wires in. Using 30 AWG Kynar wire I got in eBay, I made some spark plug boots for the cylinder end using some orange insulation that to me looks in scale for this size wire.

photo2-vi.jpg

Some of my plug boots on the distributor have come apart as it was a real struggle to get them in. I'll have to go back and see if I can reattach them as they were before they were put in.

photo1-vi.jpg

photo20-vi.jpg

The PE wire looms that Detail Master gives you aren't bad, I kinda wish they didn't score the line where they should be bent. This Kynar wire is kinda stiff, and doesn't want to lay very well in the looms. I suspect that the looms will eventually break from their pinned locations. If that's the case I won't mess with it, I'll just leave it as is. ;)

LOTS more to do to the engine! Belts, hoses, pulleys, exhaust manifolds, transmission are all in order in the days to come!

Thanks for checkin' in!

If it would help, I could post a picture of any of the engine parts from my Mustang.

Oil filter! Where is it? In the front on the driver's side? It's conspicuous by its absence on this kit. The engine shots I have aren't quite clear as to where it should be placed on a 289.

Also a pic of the dipstick placement would help as well.

Thanks!

If this is a Hi-Po 289, here ya go, this is the engine from the black fastback you already have a pick of.

oil filter is on the drivers side directly above the oil drain plug.

mump_1101_04_%2Bford_1967_mustang_gt_fas

here is what the blob of carb plastic supposedly represents:

159240d1341323311-289-performer-stock-sp

Edited by blunc

The dipstick is next to the coil and you can see where it goes into the timing cover.

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r574/Patrick_Mosier/Mobile%20Uploads/1FA72C11-3844-4EB6-99C0-4C319EDCAEDA_zps1tisjrqc.jpg

The yellow thing is the oil filter. I didn't realize how hard it was to get to from the top.

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r574/Patrick_Mosier/Mobile%20Uploads/9F51616B-F5F7-45D8-8FFA-CD70B17309E8_zpsalpbrnvu.jpg

BTW, The heater hoses are not in the factory location.

Edited by vintagestang

Thanks for the info Patrick! Mike, that's a very good shot of the carb I can use! One other thing, would you happen to have a pic of the driver's side of the carb? I have some partial shots, but none of them show the return spring bracket and where that's located for the throttle. I can't tell if it's on the carb or on the intake manifold.

Thanks again!

Edited by MrObsessive

I want to thank everyone for their input so far! I'm not the most knowledgeable Ford or Mustang guy out there, and despite getting info on the 'net-------if you've got (or had) the real deal in your garage, it doesn't get any better than that!

Hopefully by next weekend I'll have more to show...........

Thanks for the info Patrick! Mike, that's a very good shot of the carb I can use! One other thing, would you happen to have a pic of the driver's side of the carb? I have some partial shots, but none of them show the return spring bracket and where that's located for the throttle. I can't tell if it's on the carb or on the intake manifold.

Thanks again!

I've seen more than one version, here are a few:

4100carb01a.JPG

2815470385_c81cfa2dfa.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

looks like you can mount it where it's convenient...depending on manual/auto trans.

Mike, thanks for those pics! The carb linkage detail shown will do the trick. ;)

I did some more tiny details to the carb in the last couple days............nothing really picture worthy yet, but hope to do another update worth posting over the weekend.