Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 4th Quarter new kit announcements

Hopefully they correct the door issue, otherwise there will be a 20 page thread on how awful Revell is at bringing us new models.

I see at least one of these making it's way to the collection/build pile.

Thanks,

Mike

That's my fear Mike, the 20 pages of complaining. If it's wrong, I too hope they fix it to prevent the complaining. I think it looks okay as it is. But, I'm not as picky as others.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

That's my fear Mike, the 20 pages of complaining. If it's wrong, I too hope they fix it to prevent the complaining. I think it looks okay as it is. But, I'm not as picky as others.

Scott

You know dem well Revell isn't going to fix it lol. As much as ford supposedly has an iron first with their likeness and licenses, I really can not understand how they continuously allow companies like revell to deface their heritage.

Buying any revell products makes me feel like I'm just getting a marked up Chinese knock off of American products, with an American company's brand name. Theres so many ill conceived products from the get go:(

And you're right. 20+ pages to discuss about a kits issues. With useless posts because they disagree with your thoughts.

Well if anybody's heads wanna explode Scanners-style over this, by all means, don't let me stop you -

but that Torino's an order of magnitude better for proportions than The Kit That Must Not Be Named. High belt line? Possibly, especially looking at where the door handle lands. But I'm thinking the rear quarter window has been installed a bit too far backwards, and that by itself can throw the entire relation of the DLO elements off.

So far it's looking like a few file strokes (and maybe filling in the front marker lights and using the decals) are all that's necessary to sort this one out. And that's an entirely different story than what you need for the other one.

I am no fan of the Torino nor, personally, would have made it a choice to offer if I worked at Revell. But it does appear to me from the picture I found that the back side window and roof sail panel need tweaking. Those deeply familiar with the real car and actually have access to one or accurate photos (versus personal recollections), need to speak up even though this is a test shot.

As an example when the 65 Impala from Revell came out, it seemed to me, by recollections, pretty straight on since my parents had a 65 SS. When I compared it to photos of my parent's car (even though old Brownie Camera image quality) and seeing ones at shows, you could see some mishaps. Even so, I pulled out an AMT 65 and found it wasn't totally accurate either.

Keep in mind, folks, when I go to shows or find out model info, I don't allow my personal interests/biases to interfere. I just try to collect info and get the best photos I can so the community is aware.

Thanks,

Here's the Revell AG automotive future releases that were announced earlier today in their email newsletter:

u006.jpg

BMW M1 PROCAR

Product number: 07242
Scale 1:24

u007.jpg

Bentley Blower

Product number: 07007

u019.jpg

Porsche 911 Carrera Cabrio

Product number: 07063

I'm guessing that the Porsche and the BMW are reissues as I've seen both before in Revell AG boxing (isn't the Porsche originally an Italeri tool?), but does anyone know anything about the Bentley? Wondering if this will be a new tool, or simply a rebox / reissue of the excellent older Heller kit?

You know dem well Revell isn't going to fix it lol. As much as ford supposedly has an iron first with their likeness and licenses, I really can not understand how they continuously allow companies like revell to deface their heritage.

Buying any revell products makes me feel like I'm just getting a marked up Chinese knock off of American products, with an American company's brand name. Theres so many ill conceived products from the get go:(

And you're right. 20+ pages to discuss about a kits issues. With useless posts because they disagree with your thoughts.

"Ill conceived"? Hardly. Poorly executed is a better description. As has been stated in the pages of these forums, time and time again: there is no such thing as a perfect model and no one is forcing any one to buy anything. But I must wonder aloud, again: With today's technology, so much reference material and the availability of the real thing in most (if not all) instances, how can "they" screw things up? The more important question might be : "Why?"

Edited by johnbuzzed

... With today's technology, so much reference material and the availability of the real thing in most (if not all) instances, how can "they" screw things up? The more important question might be : "Why?"

I'm with ya, John. It's as if technology has made it more difficult to scale down an accurate representation.

AMT and MPC could do it 30, 40, 50 years ago. Why can't Revell get subtle body lines, wheel arches, body creases, etc. correct?

Guys, guys, guys. It's a test shot. It's not the finished model. Let them work it out and fix what they're going to fix. They do test shots to check the parts fit, ease of assembly, and to assure the product looks right. If it doesn't pass those 'tests' they send it back and work it over.

At least give them a chance to fix it before the bonfires begin. -_-

If they don't, then crank up the vitriol while Mike Schnur and Greg Wann whip up another accurate resin body to fix it for them again. ;)

Edited by Danno

Thanks for the side by side Gerry........

I'll wait until I have the kit in hand before I say anything negative....but I like it so far.

IF, and only if it's proven to be off, IF it's wrong maybe it's a case of too much technology??

I helped out on a few research projects for kits made by Monogram many years ago. The then designer told me a number of times that if he copied the car 100% scale it would look wrong. Scaled down the model often needs a little tweek to make it look right. Many of the kits he did the research and design on are looked at as near perfect even through they contain small areas that are 'wrong' if scaled up.....but these alterations gave it the perfect look.

That or we are hyper critical today over yesterday......

Thanks for the side by side Gerry........

I'll wait until I have the kit in hand before I say anything negative....but I like it so far.

IF, and only if it's proven to be off, IF it's wrong maybe it's a case of too much technology??

I helped out on a few research projects for kits made by Monogram many years ago. The then designer told me a number of times that if he copied the car 100% scale it would look wrong. Scaled down the model often needs a little tweek to make it look right. Many of the kits he did the research and design on are looked at as near perfect even through they contain small areas that are 'wrong' if scaled up.....but these alterations gave it the perfect look.

That or we are hyper critical today over yesterday......

Point taken on scale reduction. For example, the Tamiya Ferrari 360 Modena looks very much prototypical when built. But in checking it out, it is wider than the actual car dimensions and the tires are almost F1 size, not spec size. But it looks right.

Anyway, it is a test shot and hopefully it will be adjusted.

OK, it's a "test shot" and yes, I am familiar with the term. But, do the molds for the test shot not cost the same as the actual production mold? Granted, there might be just one set of test shot molds (which might make them even more costly), but if you're going to spend the money to try to make money, why not get it right the first time when you have everything you need to do so?

Back in modeling's stone age, a lot of manufacturers used to advertise that their kits were scaled from actual factory blueprints, or words to that effect. But we don't see that anymore. We are left to our own to determine if the model is accurate or not- and then, wonder why. I would rather build a kit that was advertised as being dimensionally accurate with all the correct contours, body and panel lines, etc- especially if the manufacturer backed up that info in the kit, on the instruction sheet or box or whatever- than build a kit that was "tweaked" to make it look "right". In whose mind should it be "right"?

Think of the song "Dude (looks like a lady)".