Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

In October I'll be taking my mum to England for a few weeks. 

Her and my dad are both from England, and moved to Canada in '69 after getting married. Growing up we used to go there every 2 or 3 years to visit. Would take a month in the summer.

After my sis and I grew up and moved out, my parents would go every fall, did that for years. 

They last went in fall of 2018, which was good because dad passed in spring of 2019.

Mum is getting older, her older sis has dementia, and everyone is getting older, so mum wants to go back one last time to see all the family. And as she won't drive over there, I'm going as her chauffer. 

Should be a nice trip.

Would be nice to take wifey and the kids, but with the boy starting university in September, and my daughter in the honours program at high school, plus teaching dance in the evenings, they can't go. And wifey won't leave them home alone for 3 weeks, so she's not coming. Ahh well, maybe next summer.

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Started in earnest getting the cars ready to go to Az. Feel really good after a hard day, "tired, but in a good way", and I'm thankful I can still work like a much younger man.

Is this the start of retirement? Or just moving to a nicer climate?

4 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

Is this the start of retirement? Or just moving to a nicer climate?

I've been officially "retired" for five years, but still work almost full time closing out some long-term business obligations here.

I've had a place in Az. since early 2018, have also been working on upgrading the property and getting everything moved out there since then.

Getting closer...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I've been officially "retired" for five years, but still work almost full time closing out some long-term business obligations here.

I've had a place in Az. since early 2018, have also been working on upgrading the property and getting everything moved out there since then.

Getting closer...

Be sure to let us know when you're here . . . we Arizona modelers want to give you a proper desert welcome!

• Thanks 1

Counter opposite of my "irk" over in the other thread on vehicle obsolescence / unavailable OEM parts for 37 year old cars - rather than put in a potentially dicey used fuel supply line in my 1:1 daily driver, I had it rebuilt at an industrial hose service with a new central flexible section that could handle the pressure of my car's fuel injection system. It actually re-installed easier than when it came out today, and now my car starts and runs fine again, no gasoline leaks. Feels great to have a fully functional vehicle.

• Like 2

The July 1 Canada Day car show that was postponed due to severe weather is a go for Sunday. Weather is looking beautiful this weekend.

Which also means that tomorrow I'm heading the local Pick N Pull to look for Tahoe parts. I enjoy poking around there.

• Like 1

I had the living room in my apartment painted today. My building's  manager came to my apartment with a plumber last month while I was there to replace the bathroom sink and he noticed the paint was dull and peeling in a few spots. He asked me I wanted it painted and I said sure. It looks great.

Edited by John M.

I couldn't find a matching set of wheels and tires from my parts stash for my 1972 Chevy short side PU that I got from E Bay on the cheap awhile back that didn't have any with it. I ordered a complete set of chromed open wheels and white wall tires from Pegasus and they look great on the truck. Onward to the next project.

Is there anything better that a fresh "In'n'Out Double-Double" Cheese Burger on a Sunday Afternoon?

And, I go back to work on Tuesday. And got some time to sort Model Parts. (a never ending job)

Edited by stavanzer

So, I get home from a hard day at the office last night, and flop into my recliner.

On the table next to it, is a huge Lego Box.

image.jpeg.5903419290d671ee66a5dd57b9c04d83.jpeg

My oldest Daughter got it for me, as a "Just Because Gift"!

It's been a rough couple of weeks, and this just melted my heart!

Many Happy Hours of "Lego" to come.

• Like 3

Just got home after a career-best finish with our race car. First ever podium, we finished 3rd in our 30 lap A-main. Just me and the driver, so I was busting my hump in 90 degree heat all afternoon and evening. Exhausted but exhilarated!!

May 7 2023 Right Side.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, ModWrench said:

Just got home after a career-best finish with our race car. First ever podium, we finished 3rd in our 30 lap A-main. Just me and the driver, so I was busting my hump in 90 degree heat all afternoon and evening. Exhausted but exhilarated!!

May 7 2023 Right Side.jpg

Congrats!  🏆   How long have you been campaigning it?

I just got through watching "Aloha Bobby & Rose" from 1975 online. I haven't seen it in years. The 68 Camaro that Paul Le Mat drove in the movie was a killer ride but I still have a soft spot for the 32 Ford Deuce Coupe that he drove in "American Graffiti"

4 hours ago, Raoul Ross said:

Congrats!  🏆   How long have you been campaigning it?

We started running this car in 2019. We purchased it used, but it's a pretty stout piece and more than meets our needs (we are not running the top-flight NASCAR tour races etc.). That first season we had two top 10 finishes, which was our best to date at that time. This is actually our second go at short-track racing in this type of car. We paired up about 20 years ago and ran a few seasons with the same style car but more powerful and expensive engines. We sold that car and pursued other projects, then got the itch again about 5 years ago and got back in the game. The current rules package for the division we run allows "built" motors (not crate engines) with 2 barrel cars on racing fuel. Still wicked expensive, but we have a good engine builder and a through maintenance program, so plenty of power for the dollars invested. The race prior to last night we finished 4th, so we are liking this current streak of good finishes!

1 hour ago, TonyK said:

What pleased me today is that I don't live in Phoenix. Those poor people and others in places with similar weather.

I definitely don’t miss living there.  The summers were brutal the 9 years I lived there.   I do miss my pool, though.  I’ve been gone from the valley for 6 years.  I wouldn’t mind going back some January for car auction week in Scottsdale and visit with some friends…

I have to admit that the summers here are tough but the rest of the year the weather is great !  Not that hard to survive, air in the cars, house, stores, movie theaters. I have been here about 16 or so years and at first it was tougher to me than it is anymore.