Model Cars Magazine Forum

I wonder if R2 listens ?

Hey Harry, you deleted this.

I'll repost intil you respond.

You don't delete posts over and over that annoy people, but you delete mine calling you on it immediately.

Petty little man. #getoffmylawn#shadesof1950s

Maybe Revell and R2 can't wade thru the BS you let clutter up threads?

You delete some posts you disagree with, but leave BS that MANY others complain about.

You're the mod, Harry. I don't want the job, I know you'll offer. Do your job so people can read a thread, ANY thread, without same old dreck. Last count there are 7 threads with dreck in them, probably more, and you merely tell people to not click on it. You can delete individual posts, as you have mine. I don't care if you delete mine, you're petty.

But when the board, which is a NICE board in spite of you, gets regular guys fed up, and you don't do your job, QUIT. It's a lousy front for a good magazine, and if YOU reread the rules you're not enforciing, it's obvious.

Quoted for more work for you.

Pretty much all major manufactures watch and read the internet now a days. What they do with the info if anything at all would depend their own buissiness practices and if it would benifit or hurt them. Of coarse Revell and Round 2 will listen to what people post. How else would they get ideas of what the customers want ? The internet is so huge and plays such a major role in our lifes now it would not be too smart to think they would'nt.

When did Revell stop doing catalog's ?

I kind of agree with Rob, I was sent a 2014 catalog from Aoshima , was unaware they were doing them.

Pretty sure they did one this year, Boss 302 and Stearman Biplane on the cover. Most Japanese companies still do them because they sell them over there (but I'm sure they send a few out gratis). American ones were always free.

Squadron was the last mail-order company like us I know that was doing one, but they changed it to a subscription "magazine" with added articles and stuff earlier this year. It's like $15 a year now.

Edited by Brett Barrow

Like this gem I saw from a member here when Revell's Datsun 510 BRE was reissued: "I told Revell they should do a stock-bodied Datsun 510, but they didn't so I guess that means they don't care"

And he was no doubt upset that this didn't happen within weeks of his suggestion! :D

Pretty sure they did one this year, Boss 302 and Stearman Biplane on the cover. Most Japanese companies still do them because they sell them over there (but I'm sure they send a few out gratis). American ones were always free.

Squadron was the last mail-order company like us I know that was doing one, but they changed it to a subscription "magazine" with added articles and stuff earlier this year. It's like $15 a year now.

Darn, didn't know that, the last paper copy of a Revell catalog, from the merger (Revell-Monogram) up I have, is the 2010 edition, which I got at that year's I-Hobby, I'm also missing the 2007 edition I think.

Oh well....

Darn, didn't know that, the last paper copy of a Revell catalog, from the merger (Revell-Monogram) up I have, is the 2010 edition, which I got at that year's I-Hobby, I'm also missing the 2007 edition I think.

Oh well....

Let me take a look in my office, I think I might have a couple of those you're missing that I brought over from the old job. They gave them to us at Stevens whether we wanted them or not! I don't think I've ever cracked open a paper catalog on the job, so much quicker to look it up online!

PDF versions are on Revell's website: http://www.revell.com/community/catalog-archives.html

post-3387-0-81732500-1410291119_thumb.pn

post-3387-0-28244500-1410291132_thumb.pn

post-3387-0-51038100-1410291145_thumb.pn

post-3387-0-69859600-1410291159_thumb.pn

I wonder what would happen in some one from R2 actually responded to a thread like this ? :huh:

I'm pretty sure I've seen Jamie Hood (Round 2's brand manager for Polar Lights, Lindberg, and Hawk) post occasionally on sci-fi boards. He and his AMT counterpart John Greczula post on Round2's blog (Jamie more often than John) at http://www.collectormodel.com They'll answer questions in the comments if you ask them. Sometimes you gotta go to them, not wait around for them to come to you.

Like the other model companies, R2 does indeed capture customer input, and when they are in position to respond (e.g. the business case makes sense. as explained well in one of the other posts above), they have shown a willingness to go ahead with changes and improvements.

One of the best examples yet is the reissued MPC Malco Mustang Gasser, which for the first time ever, includes a correct front body clip. This change (an all new, sliding tool piece) was the result of input from modelers, including one of Model Cars Magazine's longest running regular contributors (not me). The kit also contains other (less extensive) improvements including an all-new decal sheet that includes decals for all the different liveries (as least as far as I could tell) that the 1.1 scale car ran during it's multi-year career.

I recently provided them an extensive list of prioritized changes/corrections that would significantly improve one of the best kits from the late AMT-Ertl era, should they decide to reissue it in the future. It's not anywhere near the top of their reissue list at the moment, but if/when it does get reissued, I'd bet at least a few of the suggested improvements/corrections get incorporated.

Best regards...TIM .

Good to know that they do listen, and react. But I think it would be terrific if they maintained an active presence on the major online forums (SA, MCM, Spotlight, etc.), the way Moebius does. If nothing else, it's good PR and promotes goodwill between the manufacturers and their customers.

And if Revell, Round 2, etc. actually participated on the online forums, there would be far less reliance by forum members on hearsay, rumor, and innuendo. Let's face it... with no information coming from "the horse's mouth," hearsay, rumor, and innuendo are all we have.

Matter of time Harry. All consumer goods are moving to the on-line, social media marketing strategy since that's where the eyeballs are now. Like Brett said above, we need to go to them first, let them know we're here (and have money to spend) and they will eventually come to us.

They already know we're here.

Why don't they join us? Moebius does. Where are the others? :blink:

Harry makes a good point here (and I know some of the other board members have said the same thing as well).

No inside line here, but my guess is that there might be one or maybe two factors involved:

1) the model car companies today are extraordinarily short-staffed vs even ten years ago, much less decades ago. There just simply isn't time or manpower for them to consistently maintain a view of the boards and respond. Stated another way, if there are only so many hours in a day, I'd rather see them working on new kits for us, than shuttling that aside to man the message boards.

2) companies in general (not so much the model companies specifically) have sometimes found that when they attempt to respond to criticism on message boards, it turns into a very negative situation. E.G. the situation worsens rather than resolves itself. They sometimes get better results by responding to individual messages rather than posts on a publicly-accessible message site.

Again, I have not spoken to the model companies about this in detail, so it's only a guess on my part. But as Harry also noted in an earlier post here, there is a downside in that rumors, innuendo, and guesses (such as mine here) don't always tell the true story.

Now, I have to get back to work myself! TB

1) the model car companies today are extraordinarily short-staffed vs even ten years ago, much less decades ago. There just simply isn't time or manpower for them to consistently maintain a view of the boards and respond. Stated another way, if there are only so many hours in a day, I'd rather see them working on new kits for us, than shuttling that aside to man the message boards.

2) companies in general (not so much the model companies specifically) have sometimes found that when they attempt to respond to criticism on message boards, it turns into a very negative situation. E.G. the situation worsens rather than resolves itself. They sometimes get better results by responding to individual messages rather than posts on a publicly-accessible message site.

Having worked with Round2 for the last few years, I have to say you are absolutely bang-on, Tim....especially on the first point.

I also agree re the guesswork and rampant speculation that results when people on message boards start trying to fill in the blanks when little tidbits of information are released. The various rumors that were generated when plans for a '71 Demon were announced are a prime example.

Harry makes a good point here (and I know some of the other board members have said the same thing as well).

No inside line here, but my guess is that there might be one or maybe two factors involved:

Again, I have not spoken to the model companies about this in detail, so it's only a guess on my part. But as Harry also noted in an earlier post here, there is a downside in that rumors, innuendo, and guesses (such as mine here) don't always tell the true story.

Now, I have to get back to work myself! TB

Tim,

I would say you are right on target.

Art Anderson