Model Cars Magazine Forum

Get your creative mind in gear with the following question:

Which existing kits would you buy again if certain newly tooled parts were added?
(And yes I know very well, there's something like the resin aftermarket)

- Amt '71 Charger.

if Round2 tools up a new grille with hidden headlamps, rearbumper with the std. taillamps and Daisy spoke mag wheels on fat tires (optional sidepipes)

-Monogram '69 Super Bee:

New flat or power bulge hood,slight rake and 70s Keystone klassic wheels on fat tires

Small note, it's better to list 2 or so and name the parts, that need to be added or reworked, then list a whole slew of possible all new projects, if you would look at them from a cost and tooling design perspective.

A rule of tumb is that every cavity costs $1000 and every part except the body have at least two.

So try to come up with something exiting new without breaking the bank.

Thanks!!

Edited by Luc Janssens

Some new variations for old tools:

AMT:

'21 Oldsmobile (Beverly Hillbillies): Stock phaeton or roadster body and rear fenders.

'27 Model T: Coupe body. Roadster body/turtledeck.

'41 Plymouth: Sedan delivery. Woody.

'32 Ford Victoria: B-400 body.

'36 Ford: Two-door sedan.

'50 Ford: '51 Victoria.

'56 Ford: Country Squire.

'65 Continental: Four-door sedan.

'64 and '66 Mercury: Colony Park wagon.

'60/'61 Ranchero: 6-cylinder stock engine and correct engine compartment; Falcon coupe and station wagon.

'62 Catalina: Grand Prix.

'55 Chevy: Sedan delivery or four-door wagon.

'58 Impala: Biscayne 2-door sedan or Nomad wagon.

Lindberg:

'53 Ford: '54 Skyliner.

Little Red Wagon: Van body.

'34 Ford pickup: 1-ton flatbed chassis/wheels/tires.

Revell:

'56 Chrysler (1/32): Stock grille.

'50 Olds: 2-door hardtop.

Monogram:

'34 Ford: All stock parts back in. Phaeton body.

'36 Ford: All stock parts back in. Phaeton body.

Moebius:

'56 Chrysler 300: New Yorker.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Revell

Stock height roof '48 Ford coupe and sedan from their 48 Ford Custom & convertible kits

AMT

'32 Ford coupe as originally issued with cycle fenders, cut away hood, Moon discs and decals.

'40 Ford coupe and sedan as originally issued with original headers, moon discs, fender skirts and decals.

Revell 32 ford with stock parts not to build it stock but to build earlier hot rods

Monogram 40 ford pickup with stock parts or original release parts

any pickup with new 4x4 suspension and or off road wheels

any kit that includes those fun little non automotive items like dirt bikes ,tools , figures , bicycles etc.

I agree with Christopher on the '49 thru '51 Ford Victoria or even tudoor sedan. The '58 Chevrolet in a Bel Air or basic coupe would be nice. The Lindberg '53 Ford could be expanded with out a great expense and maybe offer a '54 body style also. Frank brought up a very good idea that should be easy to do, stock '46 thru '48 Ford tudoor or tudoor sedan. I would buy any or all of these.

OK, I'll play!

Revell:

'32 Ford B-400

'32 Ford Victoria

'32 Ford Station Wagon

'40 Ford Station Wagon (either Standard or Deluxe, doesn't matter!)

'57 Ford Ranchero

'57 Ford Courier Sedan Delivery

AMT:

'27 Model T Roadster

'27 Model T Coupe

Reissue '28 Model A Tudor Sedan

'25 Model T Touring

Reissue '67-'69 Cougar?

Lindberg:

'53 Ford Country Squire

Anyone:

'55-'56 Mercury Monterrey Hardtop (with Sun Valley option perhaps?)

Art

Some new variations for old tools:

AMT:

'21 Oldsmobile (Beverly Hillbillies): Stock phaeton or roadster body and rear fenders.

'27 Model T: Coupe body. Roadster body/turtledeck.

'41 Plymouth: Sedan delivery. Woody.

'32 Ford Victoria: B-400 body.

'36 Ford: Two-door sedan.

'50 Ford: '51 Victoria.

'56 Ford: Country Squire.

'65 Continental: Four-door sedan.

'64 and '66 Mercury: Colony Park wagon.

'60/'61 Ranchero: 6-cylinder stock engine and correct engine compartment; Falcon coupe and station wagon.

'62 Catalina: Grand Prix.

'55 Chevy: Sedan delivery or four-door wagon.

'58 Impala: Biscayne 2-door sedan or Nomad wagon.

Lindberg:

'53 Ford: '54 Skyliner.

Little Red Wagon: Van body.

'34 Ford pickup: 1-ton flatbed chassis/wheels/tires.

Revell:

'56 Chrysler (1/32): Stock grille.

'50 Olds: 2-door hardtop.

Monogram:

'34 Ford: All stock parts back in. Phaeton body.

'36 Ford: All stock parts back in. Phaeton body.

Moebius:

'56 Chrysler 300: New Yorker.

I'll second most of those!

I have mentioned this before. I would love to see Round 2 modify their AMT Chevy Van back into the window version with Open Road camper package restored. I'd also like to see them convert back their MPC Dodge van into a early 70's Sportsman passenger van with the windows and seats. And same for their 1/20th scale Ford van. The regular Chateau passenger van.

Scott

Guys, try to tone it down a bit, better to list 2 or so and name the parts, that need to be added or reworked, then list a whole slew of possible all new projects, if you would look at them from a cost and tooling design perspective.

A rule of tumb is that every cavity costs $1000 and every part except the body have at least two.

Thanks!!

Luc

Guys, try to tone it down a bit, better to list 2 or so and name the parts, that need to be added or reworked, then list a whole slew of possible all new projects, if you would look at them from a cost and tooling design perspective.

Thanks!!

Luc

Luc,

I think your "cost" per mold core/slide is quite low, frankly. Bear in mind, there are considerable development/research costs before the first flake of steel is removed from that raw block of tooling steel.

In addition, certainly with body shell tooling, almost any change or modification to those will almost always affect other parts of the tooling as well. For example, to do a 4-door body in a kit that is originally a 2-door will necessarily involve new interior side panels (or interior "tub" if an older style kit), plus a different front seat. A trim level change in most car kits, even if it remains the same body style, will affect not only the mold slides for that body, but if the model is to be accurately done, it will require at least some new interior tooling, perhaps also changes to the chrome parts sprue.

In addition, while many tooling bases have room someplace, for additional cavities to be tooled, but if not, then we're talking about another mold base--which also will raise production costs--as a separate tool simply will add to the mold-press time.

Art

Luc,

I think your "cost" per mold core/slide is quite low, frankly. Bear in mind, there are considerable development/research costs before the first flake of steel is removed from that raw block of tooling steel.

In addition, certainly with body shell tooling, almost any change or modification to those will almost always affect other parts of the tooling as well. For example, to do a 4-door body in a kit that is originally a 2-door will necessarily involve new interior side panels (or interior "tub" if an older style kit), plus a different front seat. A trim level change in most car kits, even if it remains the same body style, will affect not only the mold slides for that body, but if the model is to be accurately done, it will require at least some new interior tooling, perhaps also changes to the chrome parts sprue.

In addition, while many tooling bases have room someplace, for additional cavities to be tooled, but if not, then we're talking about another mold base--which also will raise production costs--as a separate tool simply will add to the mold-press time.

Art

A great man once said that when you divide the costs by the number of parts it levels out at $1000, per cavity

I'm pretty sure you know him ;^)

About the possibility of a redesigned part, affecting other parts, I'm very aware of that, in fact some time ago when I inspecting an all new kit which landed on my doorstep, I saw ghost lines on the body, apparently a left over from a modification in the test shot stage, in which the wheelbase was altered, which most likely was a costly re-tool while still in the development phase.

About tooling bases, it's my understanding that the tooling of model kits designed today are a cluster of smaller tools, thus I don't see a significant problem.

It's thinking like that, which removed the red clear tail lamps from so many Amt kits, while they could've been added to the clear parts tool.

I'm sorry, I really don't understand your limitations Luc. One of the ones I'd like to see is one Chris Bcritter suggested. A '51 Ford Victoria based off of AMT's '50 Ford. Another one, and I'm sure this one doesn't meet your criteria Luc, a stock version of MPC's '71 Mercury Cyclone.

Scott

Maybe I want more in dept investigation, it's a bit more involving and when done right, with input from everyone here in this" forum of knowledge" we may end up with very detailed and interesting possible tool variant, one everybody wanted but always forgot to ask for.

Hope I'm making sense, if not, blame it on the language barrier LOL

But when talking '71 Cyclone, what parts are we talking about?