Model Cars Magazine Forum

New member, first model in over 20 years. WIP

kincer

My wife bought me this for Xmas, I wanted something simple to practice on before I started a more advanced kit again. This is the Revell Snap-Tite Camaro Concept car, I just completed the interior today. I have the body all prepped for primer and will be painting that soon at work. Here are some pics of the interior, it's amazing what a little patience can do, I always tried to hurry the process when I was a kid because I couldn't wait to see what it was gonna look like. I used a silver fine point Sharpie for the interior details.

IMG_20150110_135428_741_zpsfh3hy2x3.jpg

IMG_20150110_135521_401_zpsaeudfnsb.jpg

Edited by kincer

Welcome back!

What color are you planning for paint?

I need to get one of those silver Sharpies...

I have a few cans of Duplicolor 1988 Ford Ranger silver that I'm gonna use up since I already have it, I'm guessing there will be a few Snap-Tite models painted silver lol

I have a few cans of Duplicolor 1988 Ford Ranger silver that I'm gonna use up since I already have it, I'm guessing there will be a few Snap-Tite models painted silver lol

REALLY IMPORTANT - Before painting a model with automotive paint, you will need to buy Duplicolor primer and paint the body with that first. Auto paint is too hot to go directly onto the plastic, so it will etch into the surface and make a mess. Auto primer, like two coats, seals in the plastic so your auto paint goes on smooth. It's perfectly OK to use Duplicolor from the spray can on models, in fact I do mostly that because you will get a really nice finish.

Edited by Tom Geiger

• 1 year later...

My wife bought me this for Xmas, I wanted something simple to practice on before I started a more advanced kit again. This is the Revell Snap-Tite Camaro Concept car, I just completed the interior today. I have the body all prepped for primer and will be painting that soon at work. Here are some pics of the interior, it's amazing what a little patience can do, I always tried to hurry the process when I was a kid because I couldn't wait to see what it was gonna look like. I used a silver fine point Sharpie for the interior details.

IMG_20150110_135428_741_zpsfh3hy2x3.jpg

IMG_20150110_135521_401_zpsaeudfnsb.jpg

Can't wait to see more of your progress. Do the Sharrpie's work really well? I know they're permanent on paper, but styrene or paint is my question?

Can't wait to see more of your progress. Do the Sharrpie's work really well? I know they're permanent on paper, but styrene or paint is my question?

These new sharpies work really well, just be sure to clean with alchohol first and if possible you can scuff the area lightly with a scotchbrite pad.

Dave, first a big welcome back! Second, that's a very good comeback effort! That silver is super smooth and sharp! 

I liked how GM translated the concept into what became the production car. My only gripe is that they made a post coupe out of it instead of a true pillarless hardtop. Nevertheless, this is one of my favorite Camaros, and while the newest '16 car is nice, I still like this last one better.