Model Cars Magazine Forum

This is it - The all new Ford GT

muscle cars aren't aerodynamic, and the GT40/GT were never intended to be muscle. They are race cars. There is a reason the cars are shaped a certain way. Ford is making a push for Le Mans with this new car, making it a bloated brick like the Challenger isn't going to do them any favors.

They also were not intended to be driven on the street. I remember the original still being more American than European! Are you saying the Corvette isn't Aerodynamic?

They also were not intended to be driven on the street. I remember the original still being more American than European! Are you saying the Corvette isn't Aerodynamic?

Are you implying that the Corvette is a muscle car? It's a sports car. I get what you're saying, but your using the wrong car as an example.

you could probably get a lug nut out of it.

Considering That Ford SVO will probably charge $125 per lug nut for the GT-40, that's not too bad. The scrap yard where I towed the Valiant offered me $50. That's what the owner wanted for taking it off my hands.

IIRC, the original GT40 was designed and built in the UK. Admittedly, horsepower was US sourced. Only the MkIV was entirely American.

That looks plain horrible! It looks like somekind of a Lamborghini or Ferrari or something like that. And I've never liked them. This is very ugly as well, IMO.

And that it doesn't have a V8. :rolleyes: That would have been the only good thing it that one. It's just like Brian Setzer says...

I should'a had a V-8, I should'a had a V-8

It's the only motor ever made that never gets there late

You can get a V-6 if you wanna save gas,

but I'm the kind of guy who likes to get there fast

I'm late!

I should'a had a V-8

That looks plain horrible! It looks like somekind of a Lamborghini or Ferrari or something like that. And I've never liked them. This is very ugly as well, IMO.

And that it doesn't have a V8. :rolleyes: That would have been the only good thing it that one. It's just like Brian Setzer says...

I should'a had a V-8, I should'a had a V-8

It's the only motor ever made that never gets there late

You can get a V-6 if you wanna save gas,

but I'm the kind of guy who likes to get there fast

I'm late!

I should'a had a V-8

do you know why it has a V6? they did it for a reason. If this was a power contest for the road, they would have used a V8. They're making a push for Le Mans around this car, and there are fuel mileage requirements. A turbo V6 is far more efficient than a V8.

For all the naysayers out there, it doesn't matter. This car will sell out like the last one. I think this being a V6 will probably increase the value of the previous GT, as it is likely the last V8 super car from Ford.

do you know why it has a V6? they did it for a reason. If this was a power contest for the road, they would have used a V8. They're making a push for Le Mans around this car, and there are fuel mileage requirements. A turbo V6 is far more efficient than a V8.

For all the naysayers out there, it doesn't matter. This car will sell out like the last one. I think this being a V6 will probably increase the value of the previous GT, as it is likely the last V8 super car from Ford.

Glad someone brought this up, and lets add one more thing, the only reason Ford is doing this is to be able to race at Le Mans again, the only thing Ford had is mind when design this car was Le Mans.

Edited by martinfan5

...straight six sounds a LOT nicer than any gnarly old V8, anyway... just sayin' ;-P

I'm not sure why there's such a fuss about "the last Ford V8/Ferrari V12/whatever"... Technology moves on. I doubt they sat around for long in the 20s lamenting the "last 12 litre four", or the "last of the real two-cylinders". Personally, I think it's staggering how quickly over the last ten years the power and performance of small turbocharged engines and hybrid drive systems have developed. No one's repeating Clarkson's claim from a couple of years ago that "the supercar is dead", are they? The P1, LaFerrari and 918 are the vanguard of a new kind of supercar that the new NSX and GT are following, and I say "more power to them!". I expect most supercars in the future to have small, high-revving fossil fuel powered generators driving electric powertrains with KERS and batteries, and if one day Jaguar manage to build one with microturbines instead of reciprocating engines, then "Allelujah" say I.

The big difference from the 90s and earlier is that today, the things (power/weight, battery technology, energy recovery and management, maximum fuel efficiency, aero, active electronics...) that people learn about from building these hybrid hyper cars have direct relevance to mass market mainstream cars as well. You couldn't really say that about a carbon-tubbed wedge with a V12 that runs to 9000rpm, or an unaerodynamic lump propelled to stratospheric speed by a 7-litre V8...

I think if you base your judgement of the quality/value/importance of a car largely on what the engine sounds like, you're missing a few other important points...

bestest,

M.

I love engines...any engines. I love V8 engines, radial aircraft engines, flat-six and flat-four opposed engines, inline four engines, turbo'ed V6 engines, big 'ol inline sixes like Jags and Chevys, potatoing Harley V-twins....all of 'em. They ALL make sweet sweet music to my ears, and I think this thing sounds great. But one of the prettiest-sounding V8 engines in history was the Triumph Stag unit...and a horrible horrible engine it was.

If the real reason Ford is building this is at least in part part of a plan to return to LeMans, I say whoopee. 'Bout damm time.

It's pretty slick. The profile looks like the classic GT 40, but the details really make this design stand out. I particularly like the way the body tucks in behind the cockpit and the nifty flying buttresses between the body and rear fenders. As much as I love the '04 GT, the new one feels like its own design more than a rehash of the original.