Model Cars Magazine Forum

name that movie car

mnwildpunk

Really hate to pull the plug on this one; thought for sure somebody would get them, but it's been six days...

Since I did two '57 Caddy Eldorados, let's try a pair of '66 Mustangs with a connection:

16267082897_2a4db4a9eb_c.jpg

16451607401_1be6b11d72_c.jpg

Hint: Two different films that deal with the same subject; one a docudrama and the other a drama based loosely on the same incident.

The lead actor in the docudrama was taken seriously for the first time after this role and has had a very successful career; the lead actor in the drama (despite a chilling performance) had a brief career and died in obscurity.

Good luck!

More hints: The docudrama (red Mustang) was made for TV; one of its actors was in two James Bond movies. The drama (white Mustang) co-starred its own director plus a very famous actor who was almost at the end of his career (he died less than six months after the film's release).

Red Mustang: The Deadly Tower (1975) - Lead actor: Kurt Russell - Actor in two Bond films: Clifton James

White Mustang: Targets (1968) - Lead actor: Tim O'Kelly - Director/co-star: Peter Bogdanovich - Famous actor co-star: Boris Karloff

Subject: Charles Whitman sniper incident in Austin, Texas (Targets borrowed many elements from this event plus a 1965 sniper incident in southern California where a 16-year-old boy shot at cars on Highway 101. It's a truly scary film - the sniper's last words are especially chilling. The Deadly Tower is very good, as well, and fairly accurate, but it's loaded with 1970s cars when it's supposed to be set in 1966.)

Edited by ChrisBcritter

@Pete- I'm going out on a limb here...the top picture is from Shawshank Redemption.

Bingo! The last part of the movie. Driving down the coast highway in Mexico as Morgan Freeman narrates what happened after the prison brake. My all time favorite Steven King story!

Now, who has the second picture?

Edited by Pete J.

Farris buellers day off ?

Yup! Still kills me to see a California Spyder flying backwards through the window into the trees. This shot is the real deal which was used in close ups only. Apparently there were three replica/kit cars built for the stunts and the final plunge out of the window into the trees.

Really hate to pull the plug on this one; thought for sure somebody would get them, but it's been six days...

Red Mustang: The Deadly Tower (1975) - Lead actor: Kurt Russell - Actor in two Bond films: Clifton James

White Mustang: Targets (1968) - Lead actor: Tim O'Kelly - Director/co-star: Peter Bogdanovich - Famous actor co-star: Boris Karloff

Subject: Charles Whitman sniper incident in Austin, Texas (Targets borrowed many elements from this event plus a 1965 sniper incident in southern California where a 16-year-old boy shot at cars on Highway 101. It's a truly scary film - the sniper's last words are especially chilling. The Deadly Tower is very good, as well, and fairly accurate, but it's loaded with 1970s cars when it's supposed to be set in 1966.)

I'm glad you answered this one. I was intrigued. Nicely played.