Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

This has potential to affect new kit arrivals

Jon Cole

West Coast Ports Could Shut Down in Days, Cripple Asia Trade

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/economy/west-coast-ports-could-shut-down-days-cripple-asia-trade-n300701

Traffic at nearly 30 West Coast ports is on the verge of "complete gridlock" and shipping officials have threatened to stop paying dockworkers if a contract deal is not reached soon.

Speaking at a press conference on Wednesday, Pacific Maritime Association CEO James McKenna said West Coast seaports, which handle some $1 trillion in trade per year, could shut down in the next five to 10 days and cripple U.S. trade with Asia. He said the organization is not considering a technical "lockout," but warned that the shipping system would inevitably bring itself to a stop if congestion persists.

PMA and the International Longshore & Warehouse Union have been working to negotiate new contracts since May. Nearly 20,000 dockworkers at 29 ports are impacted. PMA says ILWU has conducted slowdowns, walk-offs and other actions at key ports, aggravating congested conditions and disrupting cargo movement in a bid to influence the talks. He said productivity had dropped between 30 percent and 50 percent in recent months, crippling whole strings of vessels, in some cases. It's like "they're getting paid to grind us into the ground," McKenna said.

The union denied the claims and said the congestion crisis was "employer-caused."

IN-DEPTH

-- Karma Allen, CNBC

First published February 5th 2015, 8:01 am

PMA says ILWU has conducted slowdowns, walk-offs and other actions at key ports, aggravating congested conditions and disrupting cargo movement in a bid to influence the talks. He said productivity had dropped between 30 percent and 50 percent in recent months, crippling whole strings of vessels, in some cases. It's like "they're getting paid to grind us into the ground," McKenna said.

A lot words to say it's Thursday at the docks.

Or, stock up now... like getting all that bread and milk before the snowstorm.

Before the last storm that didn't deliver the punch we expected, Michael Nutter, the Mayor of Philadelphia quipped on TV that he didn't know why everyone wanted to make French Toast every time there was a storm. I'll bet that went over the head of a lot of viewers.

I only buy kits made in USA .maybe it's time to switch all production back over here .

I am guessing you dont buy new kits ?

They could bring back production here, but that would probably double the cost of the kits, and people complain as it for the current cost of kits being close to $30

Edited by martinfan5

I work for an auto parts company that relies on parts being shipped in from the Pacific Rim and this work slowdown has had an effect on our business big time. If this goes on much longer, I can say goodbye to another good sales year as the recovery time is a minimum of 3-6 months.

I'd like to say that I am concerned about model kits, but reality is I am more worried about my livelihood.

I work for an auto parts company that relies on parts being shipped in from the Pacific Rim and this work slowdown has had an effect on our business big time. If this goes on much longer, I can say goodbye to another good sales year as the recovery time is a minimum of 3-6 months.

I'd like to say that I am concerned about model kits, but reality is I am more worried about my livelihood.

My dad's company too. Importing containers of stone from China, Brazil, Italy and Argentina is expensive. Not having the material to put in the houses leaves people very upset and likely to go elsewhere. This is a very serious problem. Model kits are the least of it.