Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT `68 Roadrunner

As many said before me, that kit is a parts treasure cove, but still wonder why they in the 90s chose to do the headlamps as molded-in units, where the vintage Jo-Han kit had chrome buckets with clear lenses.

Wish Round2 would update that and upgrade other older kits too.

Edited by Luc Janssens

In addition to fixing the other aforementioned inaccuracies in this (20+ years old) kit , here's a few other "issues" :

- That ugly battery

- The subsized Dana 60

- Horrid wheels (barfy back in '90 , and even uglier today !)

Oh , well ... at least it is a good candidate for the sum of its parts for use in other kits :)

• 2 months later...

I'm just wondering if the molded in road runner badges are back on the body. They were there on the early issues but were removed from later reissues.

IIRC, it was back around '99-00 when they did the 'Millenium' release that AMT labeled the kit as a '68 Plymouth only....AMT must have not been able to secure the RR license from WB/whomever then..

Edited by Rob Hall

Just picked the newly re-issued AMT RR kit up last nite. This kit appears to be basically a repackage of the "Millennium" kit with a few minor changes. First, the re-issue has a an interesting set of tires. One side has raised white letters with "Goodyear Polyglass GT L60-15" script and the reverse side though non-scripted has a single Red-line stripe. The Millennium kit tires are identically scripted but are NOT white lettered nor Red-line striped on the reverse side. The kit has the same Hemi power-plant with stock exhaust as before. The intake manifold options of dual in-line crabs or cross-ram intake with Hemi styled air cleaner remain the same. However, the custom build options of dual velocity stacks or dual custom air cleaners are no longer included like the Millennium kit. Also, like the earlier AMT release the body does not have molded in "Road Runner" badges/scripts. And, like the prior AMT offering it does not include any decals.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

I am guessing this Roadrunner body has been a Roadrunner or GTX hardtop / convertible, '68 / '69 off and on for the last 20 years; so the scripts keep changing or missing. I was disappointed to get a '69 GTX convertible with a '68 Roadrunner grille recently. So, I can see how things can be confused.

Hopefully, they put the little round side marker lights on the side of the '68 Roadrunner.

Just picked the newly re-issued AMT RR kit up last nite. This kit appears to be basically a repackage of the "Millennium" kit with a few minor changes. First, the re-issue has a an interesting set of tires. One side has raised white letters with "Goodyear Polyglass GT L60-15" script and the reverse side though non-scripted has a single Red-line stripe. The Millennium kit tires are identically scripted but are NOT white lettered nor Red-line striped on the reverse side. The kit has the same Hemi power-plant with stock exhaust as before. The intake manifold options of dual in-line crabs or cross-ram intake with Hemi styled air cleaner remain the same. However, the custom build options of dual velocity stacks or dual custom air cleaners are no longer included like the Millennium kit. Also, like the earlier AMT release the body does not have molded in "Road Runner" badges/scripts. And, like the prior AMT offering it does not include any decals.

Pics would be good to see what is included being some of us never had a RR kit prior...? i still need to find some parts for my restoration project

Here is keith marks fotki page where i believe he sells all his stuff through? ->

http://public.fotki.com/mofobow/

Here is a set of corrected tail lights via Missing Link resins ->

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Resin-AMT-1968-Plymouth-Roadrunner-Correct-clear-red-taillights-by-Missing-Link-/291026299367?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item43c284e9e7

Keith Mark's decals. He has the correct decals with a nice rear panel decal. I think Missing Link has nice rear taillight lenses.

I've used Keith's decals for this kit, and if you're going to use them for the tail lights, you need to remove all the detail from the tail lights them selves, and then sand the back sides down so they sit flush in the housings. Once you do that, the decals look great. If you try to apply the decals over those tail lights without modifying them first, you'll get a quick lesson in how badly molded those things are!

Flattened and thinned kit tail lights....

Jays68Satellite0157-vi.jpg

And the Keith Marks decals applied. It's a bit of work, but it looks good when finished.

Jays68Satellite0199-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

I suspect Round2 will include a set of their new-ish pad printed Goodyear Polyglas GT tires, but everything else inside the box should be the same as the last reissue.

Uhh, why not try to put the correct redline tires in it?

Looked at the kit box today and it says one set of pad printed tires included...one side is the Polyglas GT and the other side is the red line. Don't know if the retooled, and nicely treaded, tire was used.

• 1 month later...

I've been really surprised that there's been relatively little discussion on the just-reissued Round 2 version of the AMT-Ertl '68 Road Runner kit.

Accordingly, I've prepared a kit review and commentary at the attached thread, including a comparison with box art of the original AMT 1968 Annual Kits, and a comparo with the original JoHan 1969 RoadRunner annual kit body.

DSC_1174-vi.jpg

Details at the link, and remember to click on each individual picture to see the associated text/commentary.

http://public.fotki.com/funman1712/first-look-at-all-n/refreshed-amt-round/refreshed-amt-round/

Thanks for looking....TIM

(Post revised slightly at 1:30pm EST 12 January)

Edited by tim boyd