Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1984 Olds 442

wisdonm

The rumors have been circulating in the distribution and retail channels for years. To say they have been met with anything more than a collective "meh" would be an understatement. Public support can only get you so far, it's the distributors and retailers that are buying direct from Revell that have to get behind it for it to happen.

I want to see this happen. We had two; I still keep my eye open for one for myself, because I liked driving them and I liked the looks.

With a little tweaking, the 307 can produce a little more power. I know of one guy that fuel-injected one and it was supposed to be a decent performer. The 231 car can be fixed with a variety of Buick V6 performance parts or dropping in a Buick 350.

And yes, from 1978-88, the Cutlass Supreme and its sub-models were usually in the top 5, and almost always the top 10 for sales.

Charlie Larkin

That black and silver one is the one that I was told that will be comming out as a special edition from Revell and later on a 442 version will come later.

Could that possibly be a tie in to the TV Series "Motive", by chance? The female detective on the show has one as her daily driver and lets her son drag race it at a nearby strip.......where she proudly watches him do a burn out then take down an early SN95 body Mustang with it :D

motive-101-014.jpg

i615225.jpg

Edited by Joe Handley

I always liked those cars. There were a lot around when I was a teenager (Cutlass, not 442 or Hurst).

If they make it, 1/24 would make sense due to the earlier releases of the MC SS & GN in that scale. Also, the body could be made into a NASCAR by the builder for some cool Yarborough, Allison & Foyt early-80s builds.

Hopefully we see it someday...

• 2 weeks later...

They were'nt the #1 stolen car in America for years for no reason. They could make two kits. 1 a 83-84 H/O and 85-86 442 kit so you could build either and a 2nd kit of an 87-88 Cutlass or 442 that could be built as a donk or low rider. By combining both these kits you could virtually build any 83-88 Cutlass, 442 or H/O in a stock, donk or lowrider. Just 2 different 2 way kits would cover it all.

Revell should also just combine the 1972 H/O -442 kit with the 1972 Cutlass convertible and just make one kit. It would nice if they actually made a 442 grill for the 442. Or a Supreme or 442 body.

Edited by w451973

They were'nt the #1 stolen car in America for years for no reason. They could make two kits. 1 a 83-84 H/O and 85-86 442 kit so you could build either and a 2nd kit of an 87-88 Cutlass or 442 that could be built as a donk or low rider. By combining both these kits you could virtually build any 83-88 Cutlass, 442 or H/O in a stock, donk or lowrider. Just 2 different 2 way kits would cover it all.

Revell should also just combine the 1972 H/O -442 kit with the 1972 Cutlass convertible and just make one kit. It would nice if they actually made a 442 grill for the 442. Or a Supreme or 442 body.

There was a reason for them being the number stolen car at one time. And this has happened to cars like the Honda Accord also. If there are a lot of a certain model out there, there is big demand for parts for that model. In the 1970's through the late 80's Cutlass was a big seller. At times the Cutlass was the number one selling car in America. That made it very desirable to thieves and chop shops. And it's part of the reason Rolls Royce has such a low theft rate by percentage.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Those Cutlasses were everywhere in the '80s and early '90s. Of course, you were required to drive one of them if you were from Lansing, but even when I went out of state, I saw them all over the place. They were up and down the East Coast, all over the Mid South and even around Vegas, California and the Southwest, I would guess almost everybody of the right age would have some personal memories involving a Cutlass Supreme from this era. (Also in Michigan, the mid '70s Cutlasses were abundant well into the '90s) I doubt that we ever will see a kit of these, but it sure would catch some attention if it were released. Lots of different things happened to these cars during their lifetimes too. Nascar, Drag racing, Lowriders, street machines. People did everything to these cars over their heyday. I remember when the local drag strips were just full of them. I had a '86 Mustang and a '70 Cougar, but even the 5.0 Mustangs were outnumbered by these Cutlasses most days at Central Michigan and Ubly. I saw a nice '85 at a show last year, restored to original condition. They aren't from the classic muscle car era, but they are 30 years old and they were one of the most popular performance cars of the malaise era.

The rumors have been circulating in the distribution and retail channels for years. To say they have been met with anything more than a collective "meh" would be an understatement. Public support can only get you so far, it's the distributors and retailers that are buying direct from Revell that have to get behind it for it to happen.

Those Cutlasses were everywhere in the '80s and early '90s...They were up and down the East Coast, all over the Mid South and even around Vegas, California and the Southwest, I would guess almost everybody of the right age would have some personal memories involving a Cutlass Supreme from this era...Lots of different things happened to these cars during their lifetimes too. Nascar, Drag racing, Lowriders, street machines...

Brett, thank you for the insight. I suppose as far as distributors and retailers are concerned, perception is reality: if they don't think it will fly off the shelves fast enough, there won't be enough pre-orders, therefore Revell can't make the business case.

If that really is the situation, I really think that's too bad, because this really does seem like there are a ton of potential variations with all sorts of sales potential. My personal experiences and observations match Dave's comments - these cars were just all over the place in the Chicago area. By the time I was in high school/college, they were becoming affordable for younger people, and if someone in your family didn't own one, chances are you had a least one buddy who did.

Between all the different years, the basic Cutlass Supremes, the 83 & 84 Hurst/Olds, and the 442s, there are easily 4 or 5 variations that could easily be made with only minor changes such as grilles and taillights. I also agree that a lot of these cars have become drag cars, too, and they are still popular for Street Stock classes at local circle tracks. Although I have zero interest in either style, these cars do have a huge following in both the low rider and "Donk" cultures, so there is even more potential sales.

This one has always seemed like a no brainer to me, but then again I've been told that what I don't know could fill a library. :D

Edited by Robberbaron

There was a reason for them being the number stolen car at one time. And this has happened to cars like the Honda Accord also. If there are a lot of a certain model out there, there is big demand for parts for that model. In the 1970's through the late 80's Cutlass was a big seller. At times the Cutlass was the number one selling car in America. That made it very desirable to thieves and chop shops. And it's part of the reason Rolls Royce has such a low theft rate by percentage.

Scott

Very popular with people who want them and cannot afford or plain and simple not wanting to pay for them. :) There are still alot around here in the Detroit area. I'm not a big fan of the g-body's but being an Olds guy at heart I definately would buy several. Maybe it's a licensing issue with GM.

Someone has the tooling for these. So they've already spent the money there. Why not just sell them in a limited amount? Revell never makes any sense.

Seems like it would be a no-brainer to sell this kit. It's of a generally popular subject that's not a Tri-5/Mustang/Corvette/etc. and has the option of creating several different kits if they didn't want to do the 2n1/3n1 approach, which means they could easily recoup their tooling costs.

• 3 weeks later...

The biggest "problem" that the G-Body tooling has right now is that the guy who owned the vehicle that Revell supposedly measured three years ago came onto this forum, Facebook, and everywhere else that he could and proclaimed that Ed Sexton called him and told him they cut the tooling for the kit. This was right around the time that Casey found the diagram showing the Cutlass appeared to based on the patterns of the existing Monte Carlo & Regal in the engineering & assembly sense.

Anyone who has any sort of "in" with any model company will tell you that the quickest way to burn that bridge down to smoldering rubble is to publicly announce something that hasn't been already publicly announced by the model company itself. Going and blabbing all over every "high mountain" on the internet that Revell is making something that Revell hasn't said their making gets you removed from the entire process whether it's your cars they're using or not. Some people who remember the details of the build-up to the Mustang LX will recall that Bradley told more than he should have here and even though he was instrumental in hooking up Revell with the drag racing 5.0 guys he was instantly and forever severed from the kit development process.

Now the only people who can say for sure if they're really working on a Cutlass can only do the veiled "You'll be surprised what you see in the future" routine. It's that fine line between coming off as some know it all "Hobby Insider" and constantly being a kit tease. Personally I will not even enter a discussion about kits I know are pending in the distance because I have no desire of accidentally sticking my cyber-foot in my mouth and damaging good relationships I've spent many years developing.

Unless you have a statement from Revell that specifically states they are not going to produce one, It's still entirely possible.

Revell announced back in 2006 they were doing a '87 diecast version first, then a plastic kit version later....it never happen

I'll believe it when I see it....

Here's the test shot they had at iHobby several years ago ( '07?) I didn't see it, but those I talked to that did said it was pretty bad. Conceived as a diecast, but converted to plastic. Donk only, no stock version, engine molded into underhood insert. Was a carryover from the old ownership, I don't get the feeling the current ownership wants anything to do with it. I think they'd rather put the Donk era behind them :D

87cutlass.JPG

HPIM1040-vi.jpg