Model Cars Magazine Forum

65 Corvair Corsa

Ron Hamilton

Here is a built-up I resurrected, an original AMT '65 Corvair Corsa Hardtop, which I painted with Testors' Evening Orchid Lacquer, with a White interior, trimmed in Black.

mamanovember152014003_zps22ff2e42.jpg

mamanovember152014046_zps8d4e1b17.jpg

Installing that Turbo 6 was a bear, but it had to be there.

mamanovember152014051_zpsa38156cd.jpg

The paint was a fight, but I had to stick with the color. I had never had one of these when I was a kid, even though I liked Corvairs.

I have a '62 Ex-Glue-bomb on deck to be finished.

MAMAMeetingMarch152014031_zps1bb0a4f6.jp

mamanovember152014007_zps1dfe2acb.jpg

The glue-bombiness has been exorcised from this one, and it's ready for primer. I also have a '63 Convertible, a '64 Coupe, and a '60 Sedan, which has been cleaned up, and is ready for paint.

2008_09051960Corvair20017.jpg

I'm not picking up the "Evening Orchid" at all Ron. Looks basically silver to me. That's one thing I found out about the "Iris" paint that I used on my '60 New Yorker. Almost impossible to get a good representation of the color in artificial light. Try to get a couple of shots outside & I'll bet it will pop! Nice job Ron!! Steve

Ron, I LOVE that color!

That would be a rare sight on a 1:1 today, but that color looks right at home. Are the turbo parts available on any of the reissued parts packs? I have a '66 builder that may one day be on my work table, and I'd like to have a turbo motor in it.

Thanks Bill.

As far as I know, the turbocharger was only in the 1965 and 1966 Corsa kits. I had a turbocharger unit for my '66 builder that was cast several years ago. I do not know if any are available.Harold Bradford got my unbuilt '65, and that had a turbo unit in it. Maybe you could get him to cast the pieces.

Ron

I'm not picking up the "Evening Orchid" at all Ron. Looks basically silver to me. That's one thing I found out about the "Iris" paint that I used on my '60 New Yorker. Almost impossible to get a good representation of the color in artificial light. Try to get a couple of shots outside & I'll bet it will pop! Nice job Ron!! Steve

The strangest thing happened when I painted that car. I painted the body and chassis with the Evening Orchid out of the can after primer. When I cleared the body, and rubbed it out, it took kind of a silvery, darker tinge, compared to the chassis. Maybe it was the temperatur when I painted the car. The chassis is a different color shade. Maybe I will take your advice, and take some outdoor pictures when it warms up. It is definitely the Evening Orchard shade I remember. When I was a kid, a friend of mine had a Iris Mist '65 GTO. Weird color , as it changed over the years.

Very nice Corvair! My first real car was a 65 Corvair convertible that I bought in 1970. I built a model of it then and rebuilt it a few years ago. I like the color of your model. I remember a similar color in the AMT lacquer paints from the 1960's. I think it was called orchid silk.

Sam