Model Cars Magazine Forum

Very Rare Renwal 66 Packard Built "Update"

Porscheman

This a model I've been looking for since I was a kid. This Renwal was a mint in box and all parts still in plastic bags with inspection cards from 1966. My motto is it's a kit, build it. The Packard was built box stock and painted in Testors Lacquers and a masking tape black vinyl top. These kits were never known as great fitting kit, but it's much easier with instant glue. A very expensive vintage kit that I'm glad I had the opportunity to build.

Hope you enjoy it.

Al

I changed the black top to a green vinyl top. Using Frog tape, the green color of the tape is very close to the upper body color. I think the black top was to harsh for the overall look.

Al

Edited by Porscheman

1966 "Packard?"

What was this, some sort of show car? Obviously not a "real" Packard. What's the story on this car?

This was a design study by Virgil Exner of the the great cars of the 20's and 30's. A couple were produced in limited numbers. I beleave these were the Stutz, Mercer, Bugatti, all I can find are pictures of show cars. Other cars in the Renwal series were the Duesenberg, Mercer, Stutz, Jordan Playboy, Bugatti, Pierce Arrow and the Packard.

I hope this explains in little.

Al

Edited by Porscheman

This was a design study by Virgil Exner of the the great cars of the 20's and 30's. A couple were produced in limited numbers. I beleave these were the Stutz, Mercer, Bugatti, all I can find are pictures of show cars. Other cars in the Renwal series were the Duesenberg, Mercer, Stutz, Jordan Playboy, Bugatti, Pierce Arrow and the Packard.

Al

Those bare a STRONG resemblance to the Early 60's Mopars Exner designed. That Mercer even reminds me of that Slant 6 powered asymitrical concept car he Chrysler built.

Al

Bingo.

None were actual 1:1 cars . . . all were 'what if' designs. The Renwal kits were pretty "out there" and did not sell well, so the series faded away.

Nice job, Al.

Al

Interesting! Thanks.

I am seeking the rest of these as I have some . The dies were in transit on The Great Lakes to Monogram from Aurora . A storm came up ... The Great Lakes Historically have had more Shipwrecks than anywhere else in the World . Unless this Tooling or some of them escaped this Boatload these are just a memory . A Dusenbergh Prototype did make it into a Running Complete Show one off . The last time I saw it located in the ACD Museum on display . The 1:1 was a Dark Maroon Coupe with a MoPar / A 727 / 440 Loaded IIRC . Different than the Exner and Exner Jr. Designs quite a bit .

The Model you did here does this kit justice . The GM ish V/12 is a put off for me . The Impala ('58-'60) Steering wheel is nice . Keep up the great work . Thanx ..