Model Cars Magazine Forum

I don't know what my problem is lately...

I can't seem to finish anything. 1:1 or scale. It's like I've got no drive. I get jazzed up about a new project then lose all ambition. I still buy kits with an intent to build... but i'll be honest... the last thing I finished building was my AMT Barracuda. And that was like last year!

I think I love starting a new kit more than finishing it. It seems my intent to make my models more detailed and accurate has driven my productivity and ambition down to the pits. I see all these beautiful builds here and it's truly inspiring and makes me want to do better when building, and even make awesome customs... but I apparently don't have the focus any more.

Even on my 1:1 projects... I've got 3 mustangs and a Lincoln. I haven't worked on any of them in a while. Most recent thing was I put a coil over drag spring setup on the front of my '88 Mustang. That's it.

Am I burned out? How could I tell?

Anyone else have this problem? How do you combat it???

Lately all I've done when I get home is eat dinner and watch Netflix til I go to bed.

I put away all my Model A stuff too... drug out a '55 Chevy gasser (black monogram kit) Maybe I just need a slump buster to get me going again??

Lately all I've done when I get home is eat dinner and watch Netflix til I go to bed.

That's my big issue too. My wife is all about spending time together that I very infrequently get evenings at the bench.

As for burn out, I only really built things that I have a very cool idea for, and that usually keeps me in gear. When a model gets put away it's because, another model has gotten my attention or I've run into an issue that's gonna require some planning or parts.

The drive for super detiling slows me down too, what I've done is kind of prioritize what I want to build. Some subjects I really like will be super detailed and others will be quicker to help maintain momentum. My biggest struggle is that once my idea kind of begins to take shape and I can kind if see it the drive to finish kind of goes away.

For some of us in the snow belt, when the days get long and the sun is warm, people are out and grass is growing, the world gets much too big to sit under a light bulb detailing a 1-inch engine.

The 1:1 projects are like a physical work out. That is, it can be hard to muster the energy to start, but once you're under way the momentum turns it into a rewarding evening. Just gotta push through the initial start up.

For some of us in the snow belt, when the days get long and the sun is warm, people are out and grass is growing, the world gets much too big to sit under a light bulb detailing a 1-inch engine.

The 1:1 projects are like a physical work out. That is, it can be hard to muster the energy to start, but once you're under way the momentum turns it into a rewarding evening. Just gotta push through the initial start up.

I think you're right. Part of me wants to build. The other part of me wants to enjoy the nice weather.

And yes, definitely about the 1:1 projects. Before I got a desk job and was more active, and a few pounds lighter I was always out working on stuff. I've definitely slowed down over the past 8 years. No fun! But when I went out the other day to install my coil overs, once I got started... progress was definitely being made!

I've done soooo much work to my '88 Mustang. It was a basket case (still is) but it's entering the stretch of where I can actually enjoy working on it and getting the body straight and pretty and painted so I can reassemble it. My Lincoln is almost back together too. I try to look forward to how I'll feel when theyre done... but its a long time coming.

Edited by JTalmage

Sounds like you possibly just have too much on your plate and you just can't focus. So much to do so you just can't get motivated for any of it. Maybe you just need a break from it all for awhile. Sometimes our hobbies can become too much like work, it has happened to me. Maybe a simple build or building something other than what you normally build will help. Maybe not. That's what works for me. Lately I built an airplane, a custom rod, a classic car. And now a race car followed by a vintage motorcycle.

That's my big issue too. My wife is all about spending time together that I very infrequently get evenings at the bench.

As for burn out, I only really built things that I have a very cool idea for, and that usually keeps me in gear. When a model gets put away it's because, anocomfortable model has gotten my attention or I've run into an issue that's gonna require some planning or partsdon'tont]

hiya Rob,

I hear ya dude.I've discovered for me that when a project is slowing or stopped it cause a area ...decaling something I don't enjoy.or a problem arises that I don't know how to fix or don't want to do I have several like that...and that is the same for my mixing,sound,computer and 1/1 projects.One thing that has helped was to stop watching Netflix unless sweetie and I watch one show.then off it goes.and make your upgrades to a kit what you want and feel comfortable doing. remember its for fun...not stress.build for fun only.if you don't want to detail anything....don't.its still great looking...no worries.good luck wish ya the best

....I am there too and buy kits and supplies with intent and then nothing......my daughter lives with me so that keeps me busy but I plan in my head on the weekends she goes to her mom to dive right in and build/work and go even as far as to drag the stuff out and "POOF" nothing.....Baby Girl will come home on a Sunday and say "whatcha get done Daddy?"....."Nuthin'".......pretty bad she has more completed kits done than me and when it comes to my 1:1 Mustang I would rather have the rain wash it off than to take a sponge to it lately.................

as both are hobbies, so be it. eventually the ambition will return, but for now, relax and let the 'want' to do it return.

if you do want to get motivated sooner, then just 'putter', i find i get more done whithout inentions of accomplishing anything sometimes, i sit down and just mess with stuff and before i know it, i have something built [be it an engine or interior or whatever].

As far as building models goes, there's no rule that says every kit has to have every nut & bolt.

Try something a little simpler. A curbside build or the like. Something that you can finish in a month to get the juices flowing.

15 years ago, I was lucky to finish a kit a year myself, but for me, the lack of interest was subject matter.

I just got tired of building the same kits over & over, plus I would get bogged down with engine & chassis detail.

Since I started building a lot of old annual curbside kits, I find it keeps my interest piqued.

Don't get me wrong, I still have to force myself to get into the shop on occasion, but I think that just comes with the territory.

Everybody needs a break from everything once in a while, but my experience has been, if the break goes too long, you may never get back to it.

My last break lasted over 10 years, but now that I have several dozen kits that I'm really excited about building, I'm hoping another break will not be coming soon.

Steve

• Like 1

I used to be able to bang out very decent looking models in under a week... back when I was still in high school. I'd get home from school and go straight to the desk. Now I get home from work... and veg out. Guess it comes with getting older too. I'm lucky I can finish 1 kit a year now. I should be able to finish 1 kit in less than a month with my past history. I NEED to thin my stash and get them built. Otherwise I'm just hoarding.

Same Boat brother

I spend a lot of time researching the next step of the build,...

Watch what everybody else is doing on the sites,....

I'm then so tired it's time for bed lol

but seriously,.. I think it's time for a short break from super detailing the Wolf WR1.

Maybe finish something a little simpler...just to finish something...

With the Interweb off and maybe music playing

And then move on

Anyways Let's all chill and model on

Cheers

I find what gets me going is to go sit at the bench, no matter how worn out and tired I feel. Once I'm sitting there and start fiddling, the next thing I know I'm focused and working on something. I'm no longer tired, and actually feel good.

Right now my focus is more on getting my yard work done. I find I cannot get interested in working on a hobby when I have obligations calling my name!

I find what gets me going is to go sit at the bench, no matter how worn out and tired I feel. Once I'm sitting there and start fiddling, the next thing I know I'm focused and working on something. I'm no longer tired, and actually feel good.

Right now my focus is more on getting my yard work done. I find I cannot get interested in working on a hobby when I have obligations calling my name!

I do the same thing.

Even though I don't feel like doing anything, once I get started & get engrossed in what I'm doing, I actually find it hard to stop!

Usually my back starts hurting & then I know it's time to quit for the night. :)

Steve

I used to be able to bang out very decent looking models in under a week... back when I was still in high school. I'd get home from school and go straight to the desk. Now I get home from work... and veg out. Guess it comes with getting older too. I'm lucky I can finish 1 kit a year now. I should be able to finish 1 kit in less than a month with my past history. I NEED to thin my stash and get them built. Otherwise I'm just hoarding.

When we was young we had more energy and less worry now its the opposite. It happens to many of us and i had it last year. The build bug should return...

I see a lot of good reasons there. A lot of us are getting older. You might have more free time,but the drive isn't like it used to be. Think back on how many models you've built in your lifetime. I still enjoy it,but I might glue a couple of parts together or paint something, and I'm done for a few days.

I have other hobbies,and you guys probably do too. I guess just do what you can,but it's a hobby,so you can't force it or it's not fun amy more.

Jesse, I think we all go through it. I was the same way, but then NNL East was coming and that was my motivation. It may sound funny, but I have a tv by my workbench. I can get Netflix and will put it on. I just seem to need the white noise in the background while I'm working on a model. I have stopped for the spring to do yard stuff and my 1:1 cars ('64 Caliente and '62 Falcon sedan delivery). It will come back, just takes time. Steve

I think we all could build a "decent" model in a week or less back in our younger days, when we weren't so critical of our own work. Of course, our own personal standards were probably lower at that time and technical realities might not have had the same importance as they do now. I remember building the first issue MPC Daytona. It was molded in red. Yep, I left it that color, but I did paint the sub-assemblies, add some decals and taillights (it was a "street" machine, after all) and by golly, it looked cool. Same with the original issue Revell '53 Chevy. Molded in light blue, almost pearl plastic; it, too, was paint-detailed and looked soooo cool when it was done. But, were I to put them on a display table today, they might draw attention due to their age (if I still had them), but the quality and craftsmanship would be sorely lacking.

I have an MPC Jeep that I built in '77, the same year that I got married. I also had the measles at that time. My skills had improved by that time, I even painted the tire lettering (yes, with enamel) and the treads (PollyS "Dirt"). I modified the exhaust with a short length of aluminum tube as a tailpipe. It is a clean build, but the paint never was very glossy ("Polish a model? Why?") and I used un-realistic colors on the drivetrain. I want to leave it as is, but every now and then, I consider rebuilding that Jeep... but I won't, for posterity's sake, and as a reminder of my old days.

Part of the problem might be the desire to have this model be better than the previous, and the next one will be even better. And, if you throw in what you hope to be a contest-quality model, well... Shorter attention spans as we get older, possibly even ADHD (or whatever), inspiration overload to start the next project and the next after that; then, if you start on a snap kit slump-buster, there's yet another one started. And, there is always the temptation of the newest, bestest kit ever that was just released and it's something that you always wanted to build and you just gotta get it.

I, too, experience the sit-on-the-couch-with-the-wife thing. My bench and all my modeling stuff (except my spray paint area) is up in our loft, as is my wife's sewing machine, etc. That was one of the prime reasons why we bought this house. But, she just isn't as dedicated to her hobby as I am to mine. I remember telling her years ago, before we were married, that if I couldn't work on a model, I would go crazy. There have been times when I came close, especially when we were living with our daughter before we left LI. Seriously.

My compensation for the lack of hands-on build time comes in the form of planning. I am fortunate in that I can do a lot of that during my "normal" 8 hour work day. Paint colors, details, modifications, parts to use, techniques, etc. I have built so many models in my head that I'm running out of room there, too, But, they all look so cool, with perfect paint and details just so right :P .

I might seem like I'm rambling, but it all boils down to: be comforted in the fact that you are not alone.