Expensive & collectible kits. Do you build or keep?

• You cannot reply to this topic
87 replies to this topic

#41 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,224 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

Well most semi truck kits are north of $50 new :lol:

#42 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,368 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

Personally anybody that pays more 50 bucks for plastic is crazy

I guess I'm crazy.

#43 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,224 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

I just spent $243 on model kits, guess I am crazy too ;)

#44 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

Your'e in good company Harry.....

#45 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,368 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

Your'e in good company Harry.....

:D

#46 my80malibu

my80malibu

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts
  • Full Name:Gabriel Soto

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

Yes. Pocher kits are notorious for screw holes that are too small for the screws, and the screws themselves are made of cheap metal and are very weak and brittle. If you try and force it into the hole, you'll snap off the screw head 95% of the time.

Now there is a High Quality kit that I want to spend my hard earned dollars on

#47 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,224 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

I guess im not crazy enough :wacko: :huh:

#48 my80malibu

my80malibu

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts
  • Full Name:Gabriel Soto

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

Build'em ! !   I have kits they stay in storage for years but I eventually get around to building them .  Below is one that I unpacked a few weeks ago and plan on building in the next few months .

000_0001.jpg

000_0002.jpg

Hey Before you build that, can I borrow the headers and resin cast them so I can build the two I have?

#49 Guest_Johnny_*

Guest_Johnny_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

I don't know. I just like the look of horror on a collectors face when he gives what he thinks is a deal to a guy on an old kit and the guy stands right there and rips the plastic (or in the case of a friend cuts the tape) off the kit and says he is going to build it! :lol:

#50 2000-cvpi

2000-cvpi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • Full Name:Corey Sarenius

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

I build them, there are plenty of each kit out there. There are only four kits that I have that I won't ever build, my dad built them and they well stay that way.

#51 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,519 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

As said earlier, I don't buy kits if I plan not to build them.

Well actually I don't have any ultra rare kits on my stash, only a few Jo-Hans (the rarest is maybe the '60 Dodge Phoenix promo), I'm planning to build them all, but otherwise I don't have any that rare kits. Building old & rare model kit could be compared to building 1:1 '32 Ford from original sheet metal body and period correct Hot Rodding parts and not using modern NOS parts or something.

I think I'm a Model Car Builder, not a Collector.

#52 maltsr

maltsr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Scadden

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

I only buy kits that I intend to build or use for parts.

Personally anybody that pays more 50 bucks for plastic is crazy

As for rare/collectible/high value kits, all kits here are high value :(. Around US$25 and up plus shipping off a local auction site, $30 off eBay including minimum shipping, and $40 plus at hobby shops for recent releases. I've seen overseas shipping on eBay vary from $11 (thank you, vendors :angry: :angry: for a single kit.  As you may imagine, I don't buy many kits for parts anymore, and unfortunately don't have a big collection to draw from.

Speaking of which, this thread is also a good counterpoint to the one about hoarders.

#53 ZTony8

ZTony8

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Full Name:Tony Buglione

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

This is really two separate questions.You can buy a new issue expensive kit that will still be fairly common like a Big Deuce or even a Studio 27 multi media kit.Those would be definite builds.

Then there are the old,possibly never reissued, kits that can be cheap or expensive.Those I may or may not build.Good examples of each-I had an unbuilt,factory wrapped MPC Cosma Ray Vette kit.I was sorely tempted to open and look at it as I had never seen the kit contents.But I knew that if I did that I would lower the value of the kit.I kept it sealed and sold it last year.Since then,another modeler found an opened,started one and brought it to our meeting so I finally got to see the contents.I also have unbuilt AMT '61 Buick convertible and hardtop kits that I bought for about $8 each( a fortune at the time) at a toy show about 30 years ago.They're in bags and have photocopied instructions and no decals so the collector value is almost nil compared to a boxed,complete kit.I haven't found the right inspiration to build them but I have no qualms about building them when I do get the right motivation.

#54 MsDano85gt

MsDano85gt

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Conway

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

-i build them and I build them well I have aquired. Quite a few fox body kits pace car replica anyone -I have 2 opened them both! building both! 1 t top 1 hardtop love building them no matter how old! I'm right there with you on this good buddy nick!

#55 ReptileGuy

ReptileGuy

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Full Name:Nicholas Rizzo

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

My most successful post yet.. Guess I touched on the right subject.

#56 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

Personally anybody that pays more 50 bucks for plastic is crazy because that all it is. I have lots of old kits and I have a desirer to build it nomatter how much its worth I will that is my two cents worth. Plus this days you have no idea what the model companys are coming out with anyways.

John Pol

Depends on how much money you have.  It probably seems insane to a Haitian person when I spend $12 on a kit with a 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby.  To me, $50 for an old, out of production kit is not out of reach or any more unreasonable than that $12 kit.

I don't have a huge stash or a lot of old kits - but the old kits I have purchased, I purchased with building in mind.  It just makes the unbuilt one more collectible :)

#57 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

Hey Before you build that, can I borrow the headers and resin cast them so I can build the two I have?

Steve Scott is selling his last 2 kits, recent bid for two was $410!

#58 peekay

peekay

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  • Full Name:Peter Kennedy

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

Why do some people think that I'm somehow morally bound to build every kit I buy?

I ACTUALLY LIKE OLD UNBUILT KITS!!!

I feel no shame in saying that out loud and now that I've come out of the closet I feel a great weight has been lifted from my shoulders!!

I know that most of you will now look away in embarrassment when I post but I must live my own life the way I see fit.....

#59 Olskoolrodder

Olskoolrodder

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Full Name:Stephen Sammons

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

Well,I would say "build" cause I'm not a collector,but I haven't built much these last 2 years since the house burnt/we moved,so I guess "keep until I build" :P

#60 1272148

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Full Name:Callon Roberts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

I just like to think whenever I question if it right ot open a kit.  Hay if I ever do get to selling anything if I build it well enough it may sell for more than the boxed kit, I have found many people out there willing to pay prices more than the value of a sealed kit for a pro built work of another builder with the skills rather than build themselves, and that makes me feel better.  Anyway I like to start with a gluebomb, especially one that requires lots of work, (helps me lengthen build time).