Model Cars Magazine Forum

Has anyone ever hot rodded to your standard Greg?

Yes. However, I do have opinions cultivated from years in many different aspects of this hobby,be it modeling from the early sixties, driving and rodding real cars from the mid sixties , teaching High School Auto Shop for eight years to my present status as an old curmudgeon .  So let's have a look at what I think a cool hot rod is, just my opinion now. 

1208sr-01-z1932-ford-three-window-coupe_zps93cd3c1f.jpg

082708NHRAMuseumCruiseNight044-vi.jpg

DSC_5096_zps9y2rnavd.jpg

DSCF0011-2.jpg

DSCN2743_zpsxvfuopxx.jpg

001-yellow-57-chevy-front-blown_zpspkbcylmt.jpg

A lot of what I think is cool has to do with what was cool when I was younger. My tastes were pretty much developed in my pre-teen/teen  years. I imagine it's that way for many people. That being said, I've always been able to appreciate others work,wether or not it's to my personal taste. 

Absolute yes to that Maroon '30. I thought I recognized that red 27 Roadster pickup... thinking this is what it used to look like.Comparing the two pics side by side, I'm not sure. Engine placement is different on this one, and the headlights are a lot further forward. I like this one better. 

Image83-1

What about these two? What does your discerning eye think?

1927fordttrackrdstersr102813.jpg

1-Ricky-Nelson-Roadster_026.jpg

Edited by Draggon

The maroon A on Deuce rails says "Hot Rod" to me.I'm waiting for the new '29 kit to build a model much like the picture.I'm hoping the kit tires are like the ones on the car in the picture.

Edited by ZTony8

yeah, not much to worry about...

except "100 year floods" every two or three years.

and crappy drainage so that your car gets flooded like it sat through hurricane Katrina.

but other than that, not much to worry about.   ;)

I'd agree with your list, with the caveat of the old pre-48 rule which probably has slid way newer thanks to Goodguys and others.  The '27 T looks way better in the black and white pic, most definitely the pics Glenn posted those are classic stance and styling.  Never liked the '32 3W which Chip Foose helped with some styling including the Faux bare metal along the chop lines, supposed to make it appear to be a fresh unpainted chop.  

What looks good to one person doesn't always look good to another, browse through a stack of old Hot Rod magazines and you'll prove that point.  Even when the Golden Age of Hot Rod styling was new there were those pushing the envelope and missing the mark by a mile.  Most of who appreciate the Classic Traditional Hot Rod tend to be drawn to those cars which were mainstream in styling, especially those cars clean enough to make a magazine.

To me, this car is the be-all, end-all finest looking hot-rod ever built on Earth...the Eddie Dye roadster. Though only bits and pieces of the car are thought to still exist, and though its exact history is a little cloudy, my current understanding is that it was built originally and lakes-raced in '48 or '49, was apparently in the Ayala brothers' shop for completion and paint in about 1950, and was featured in Hot Rod, Hop Up, and other publications in the early '50s. It's a '29 Ford on '32 rails, rails kicked-up at the rear to get all that low-down-goodness, with the front dropped axle suspended under a suicide perch, and the wheelbase is lengthened as a result.

File:Eddie-dye-1929-ford-roadster.jpg

Both the Eddie Dye car, and the low green '32 roadster posted above by Draggon are featured in this great book, an absolute must for anyone who wants to know what the "traditional" thing is really all about.

61VQg%2BRp0EL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jp

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

^^^ What's that tiny red coupe - a very modified Crosley?

Back on topic - the trad cars are sweet, although the radial tires do break the spell. Then again, I'd never begrudge the improvement in handling and ride to the guys who drive those cars on grooved roads and around sharp corners.

^^^ What's that tiny red coupe - a very modified Crosley?

Back on topic - the trad cars are sweet, although the radial tires do break the spell. Then again, I'd never begrudge the improvement in handling and ride to the guys who drive those cars on grooved roads and around sharp corners.

Yes. Not too modified I don't think.

20150823_141811.jpg

Edited by b-body fan

The Moose club in Ravenna. Probably about 35 or 40 minutes for you. Straight down 76 east .

Where was this Michael?  Somewhere local?

There are a bunch of shows around here every week. I can probably get you some kind of schedule if you'd like.

Edited by b-body fan