Model Cars Magazine Forum

Turbo 4cyl Cuda - DONE!! 3/21

Impalow

Thank you all for the comments and following along... This build is definitely a learning process for me, between the 3d printer, the cutter, and now the lathe I am trying something new every time I venture into my model shop. Which makes this one extra exciting for me.

Over the last couple days I made a ton of metal shavings and scraps, 2 wastegates (first one was too big) , and the timing belt drive. I can honestly say at this point i love having the lathe...I went "cheap" on this with the harbor freight one,  while granted its not as nice as the Sherlines, its getting the job done.. and for how often its used I could better justify the harbor freight price.   Still need to get some other tools and bits for it, but its more accurate than I expected, time will tell on the durability side.

Wastegates:

Next up was the intake, I wanted something like this..

So i modeled it up in the 3d program, and sent it off to the printer.  To me, shapes like this play more into the 3d printers strengths, something that would take a long time to accurately scratch build.. or carve out of a block of styrene.

I then scratchbuilt the intake runners and plate.. The intake runners in the photo are the position posts, they will get some sleeves overthem to increase the diameter, and provide a location for the injectors.

Intake and belt drive mocked up in place:

Aluminum is on the way for the wheels...excited to get some paint on this engine soon.

Thank you jeff!

Made some weekend progress..

Made the tubes for the intake, and then made the fuel injectors out of some brass tube and piano wire.

Then I made the fuel rail, as well as the rest of the timing belt drive system.

Finally I got all four flares shaped and permanently attached  to the body... then ground out the backside to make room for the tires.  The tires are from the tamiya Porsche 959 and the wheels are Aoshima ones..I will be making custom lips out of aluminum.

Thanks Joe, Richard , Andy and Robert... its getting there... Nice to see the vision come to life.

Started on the custom wheels last night, had some lathe issues.... Well, I had some issues the lathe is quite fine.  Just realized I need some more cutters and tools to do this efficiently.  But after ruining lots of things, I think i know what went wrong and I was able to salvage one rear rim..

Must say Eric, I've not seen a 4 cylinder in a nasty Cuda like you're building but you've made a it very convincing build here. The engine looks really good and that pic you shared of that 1:1 manifold is just sick.  Big fan of the stance and flares on the car too, will be sure to follow along.  cheers, tim

Thank you all for the positive feed back and following along! 

Looks good Eric, now just some real detail to that engine and you'll be good to go! LOL

Is that right? You to are cornfusing me!

wrong one.. We do act alike though :) so much so that his dad calls me his adopted son. Haha 

hahaha.. You got it right now... probably doesn't help that we are both building Cudas

Must say Eric, I've not seen a 4 cylinder in a nasty Cuda like you're building but you've made a it very convincing build here. The engine looks really good and that pic you shared of that 1:1 manifold is just sick.  Big fan of the stance and flares on the car too, will be sure to follow along.  cheers, tim

Thank you Tim! I'm a huge fan of what you are doing on that henryJ, hopefully I can pull off a fraction of that coolness on this build. Thank you for the inspiration.

Much more success last night in the workshop!  All 4 wheels done!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

yes looks stunning .. what is the plan ? leave the lip , rings alu and paint the styrene centers ??

Actually as of now... I'm going to use a transparent blue on the rings and a gun metal silver on the centers... at least that's the plan for right now now.

Made some progress on the chassis, and aero elements over the past weekend.. Im trying to get all this body work roughed out before I start painting anything.

Finalized the mounting points for the lower IRS, and created the base plate for the diffuser.

Once I had that base plate, i drew up all the pieces in illustrator and sent them to the cutter.

some minor modifications here and there and I had a diffuser...

Filled/primed and test fit

Then i started on the front end, intercooler mounting.

Mounting posts for the splitter.

Splitter installed

Then finally filling in the area with some sytrene.... It still looks a bit funky, but the bones are there, going to add some other elements to fill it out some.

The question i have is how much for a printed srt4 im an old school turbo dodge guy and Iam currently building a real 85 omni glh that is going to be srt4 swapped. I have pretty much every turbo dodge models made and would love to have the srt4 for all of them.