Model Cars Magazine Forum

Turbo 4cyl Cuda - DONE!! 3/21

Impalow

This 3d printer does not print anything acceptable to my standards, or the vast majority of members on this board. Why do I say this? Look for yourself. Closeups of the op's print.  

Selection_869.thumb.png.bfb21838e1a5bd07Selection_870.thumb.png.ee8b89200036414bSelection_868.thumb.png.717b791374f91784

If  these are the results you want from a 3d printer, go ahead and waist your money. Me, I know better. Check me out. Follow my  home 3d printed builds:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/101922-1935-lasalle-convertible-coupe-3d-printed-at-home-aug-30/

Edited by my66s55

Thank you all for the comments!  I put this project off to the side for now... it doesn't have to be complete until march, so its a bit of a "back bench build"

That silhouette portrait cutter looks like a pretty neat tool. Just wish it would cut thicker stock.

How much detail can it hold? Could it cut out a 25th scale Chevelle script?

Nah.. it cant really hold that sort of detail... last night i tried cutting out .020 circles and just ended up with a dot, however that did give me a center mark to drill a hole with a pin-vise.  I wish it would cut thicker stuff as well.....I am having some success layering .020 to make the parts I want.  I have a rat rod build that has become somewhat of a showcase for what can be done with the cutter.

Edited by Impalow

This 3d printer does not print anything acceptable to my standards, or the vast majority of members on this board. Why do I say this? Look for yourself. Closeups of the op's print.  

Selection_869.thumb.png.bfb21838e1a5bd07

If  these are the results you want from a 3d printer, go ahead and waist your money. Me, I know better. Check me out. Follow my  home 3d printed builds:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/101922-1935-lasalle-convertible-coupe-3d-printed-at-home-aug-30/

Im not quite sure how to respond to this tactfully.   I will say i have been following your builds, and your knowledge of 3d printing is one of the reasons I didn't purchase a much much more expensive printer at an earlier date.   For that I thank you...       I would not have been at all satisfied with that purchase.

Now to me the first photo is decent...  granted it still needs cleanup, some edges filed... hand work..etc..  but once that is done and the intake is in place, it is passable as a kit part.  

If you want a printer you can pull your item off the bed and paint and take to a your local model show.... this is not the printer for you... and will indeed be a "waste of money"

This may be the printer for you if:

• want to make complex shapes that would be impossible, or incredibly labor intensive in styrene  (not this engine, in all honestly I should have just scratch-built it)
  • realize small details will need to be added back in by hand after the print is complete
  • realize some sanding and filling will be necessary to remove grow marks.
  • know how to 3d model
  • are okay with 85% of your prints ending up in the scrap bin
  • have an extreme amount of patience with technology
  • have little to no knowledge of 3d printing
  • want to spend under 400.00

Like any piece of technology its learning its limitations and then working around them to get the best results.  

Would i buy another one?  probably not

is it fun to play with?   Oh yeah

Will I keep trying to make model parts until I find its niche in my workshop?  Yup...  :)

Thank you Eric, you've made my day. What I'm about to say is meant to be taken in a positive, kindly way and not harsh or negative . My post was not intentionally directed at you. From your opening post on, you never presented this 3d print to be anything other than what it is. My concern was that it seemed that others were seeing what they wanted to see and not reality. I was excited to see that someone had bought a 3d printer to use for model car parts printing. One of the major reasons for my w.i.p. 3d printing posts is to encourage others to get involved. Otherwise, I would just complete the model as some others have and say-here it is, I 3d printed this at home. The experience you gain from working with your printer will carry thru into future, more advanced printing machines. Now, as to your print. Take note on the 35 LaSalle post, I state, at least I think I did, that to get the best print with a filament printer, you need to break the file down into pieces. Teach yourself the best orientation of the part on the build platform. Learn when and where to use support material. You will see a steady improvement in your prints. Good luck, happy 3d printing.

Edited by my66s55

For that sort of money I still think the engine block is great !  Sure it needs a bit of a clean up, but its also way quicker and more accurate than scratch building it. Im sure there are better printers out there that can produce something perfect,  more expensive than most ( I imagine ...) modellers are willing to spend on something just to improve their models....

This seems a good, reasonably priced printer, which with a bit of practice adds to the fun of building. 

Im not having a dig at anyone here, just saying I think its a great idea if you wanna try it yourself !

The work you're doing is amazing! Although, I'm not confident a turbo'ed 2.4 litre engine would be adequate for powering a 43 year old mid-size hunk of Detroit iron. ^_^ Put that in a Colt, Omni, or Rampage, then you'll see everyone in your mirror. 

you'd have to see the power you can get from those. I think you would be surprised 

Selection_869.thumb.png.bfb21838e1a5bd07Selection_870.thumb.png.ee8b89200036414bSelection_868.thumb.png.717b791374f91784

This is a pretty terrible way to try and be helpful, if that's what you were doing. What a freakin jerk

Dang. You beat me to it. I'm currently building a Revell Challenger, Pro-touring, w/Viper ARC V10, and a high-tech chassis from Shelbhy Series 1 kit. While building this, I had the similar idea of going Pro-touring/tuner w/my Cuda kit but using a Ross Gibson Mopar slant six, and doing it up w/turbos/inter cooler etc. 

Love your use of the 3D printer and cutter. Can't wait to see this build progress.

This is a pretty terrible way to try and be helpful, if that's what you were doing. What a freakin jerk

Can't handle the truth? I'm not amazed . Or maybe it's just that you like to stir the pot.. It would be right in line with with a lot of your posts. I have your number.   

Can't handle the truth? I'm not amazed . Or maybe it's just that you like to stir the pot.. It would be right in line with with a lot of your posts. I have your number.   

it's not so much as handling the truth, but the way you present the information. Why BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH all over a guys build because you have 3D experience? It was a really rude thing to do, for no reason other than to stroke your own. 

I won't clutter up the WIP thread with an argument, so feel free to PM me. 

it's not so much as handling the truth, but the way you present the information. Why BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH all over a guys build because you have 3D experience? It was a really rude thing to do, for no reason other than to stroke your own. 

I won't clutter up the WIP thread with an argument, so feel free to PM me. 

I wont bother to pm you. Facts are facts. Period. If you can't handle that. Oh well. I'm not letting you off that easy. Your name calling is uncalled for and indicative of your attitude.

Edited by my66s55

Impalow smart choice on the 3d printer. With 3d printing being an emerging technology its best to get someting to play with and learn the technology. 

You are fortunate to know how to do the 3d modeling as that is a huge part of using a 3d printer.

.  Also like what you are doing with the cutter. Another option would be a laser cutter but I'm not sure about the prices on them. 

Thank you for sharing what you are learning. Will be following. 

Impalow smart choice on the 3d printer. With 3d printing being an emerging technology its best to get someting to play with and learn the technology. 

You are fortunate to know how to do the 3d modeling as that is a huge part of using a 3d printer.

.  Also like what you are doing with the cutter. Another option would be a laser cutter but I'm not sure about the prices on them. 

Thank you for sharing what you are learning. Will be follow

I agree with you totally on learning the 3d printing technology. It was my hope that, through my w.i.p. builds, I would educate people enough to understand the different types of printers. If the o.p. had p.m.ed about this printer, I would have told him a  no. for multiple reasons. It is not capable of making a build in this scale. It's the design of this type printer that prevents this. This printer is not close to printing anything usable in our hobby if it is under 1:18 in scale and then it should be printed in hips, you know, styrene so that it is at least workable to make it acceptable. Who am I? Just some one with extensive experience in home 3d printing who knows fdm filament printing extensively though experience and is currently printing in sla/dlp printing and, I might add, still learning at this level. My goal is to pass on these devopements as I learn them. 

Edited by my66s55

• 3 months later...

So big update here... I realized I am shooting for a march deadline on this bad boy, so i better get moving.

Finally had some success printing ABS on my printer, this material sands/drills so much cleaner and easier... it also printed much "crisper" once I got things dialed in.

again... not perfect but definitely workable...  these are the prints straight off the printer.

once i had a good block and head for mockup, I started working out the mounting and accessories.

MAD resin 6-speed transmission mates up pretty nice, Im still going to make an adapter plate for this because the 1:1 engine would not bolt up to the T-56

Scratched the turbo manifold and turbo. 3/32 aluminum rod wrapped around some tube

used a tyco HO slot car pinon as a turbo impeller

Added some more detail to the turbo, band clamps and flanges.. turned cam gears on the lathe, and cut the exhaust manifold flange on the cutter.

Picked up an Aoshima Liberty Walk Skyline and pilfered the flares off it.  This kit:http://www.amazon.com/Liberty-No-04-Works-Hakosuka-Aoshima/dp/B00Z8G1QWW/ref=sr_1_5?srs=7759734011&ie=UTF8&qid=1451916066&sr=8-5&keywords=works

Finally I decided on color the option...  Pearl gray with gunmetal/candy blue wheels similar to whats below.  Still a fair amount of carbon fiber, but keeping with modern mopar blue/gray color scheme just feels right.

With the power the aftermkt  tuners are getting out of these 2.4 turbo motors .

I can easily see them pulling a 1970 Cuda around quite well.

Actually a few years back Rad rides by Troy built a car using a big power 4 cyl in a heavily modified 1969 Cuda body and went Salt Flats Racing

I think that the rate at which 3d print technology is progressing, it won't be long before it will be possible to make almost any part you can dream up. The only hurdle seems to be mastering the rendering of the actual part you want to print. I'm all for people like you who are leading the way. Thank you for taking the time to show us how this is coming together.