Model Cars Magazine Forum

Turbo 4cyl Cuda - DONE!! 3/21

Impalow

Thanks guys! 

Loving this Eric!

I didn't realize how small the lathe (no I think thats the silhouette cutter ?) and printer were,...fits really well on a bench top B)

Thanks bruce!  Yeah that is the silhouette portrait cutter...its just a little guy, only cuts 8.5 x 11 but that isn't much of a big deal with what we do... and the printer is also quite small just a 5x5x5 build area.

Thanks guys!!

That's freaking beautiful. I'm scratch building some engines the next couple months and your build is great inspiration. I also have a silhouette...what settings do you use to cut styrene?

Honestly, I haven't dove very far into the settings...  But first thing I did was pull the blade out and turn the blade depth up to the maximum (10)   Then when im ready to cut I use the either the chipboard or heavy coverstock setting... That gives me a double cut, and the speed seems okay.. One tip I figured out early on is to inspect the cuts before ejecting the cutting mat. If for some reason its not deep enough you can just hit cut again, and it will cut right on top. This gives you a quadruple cut, which I have been doing on intricate .020 parts and it seems to help get them out. Its an easy machine to use once you get the hang of it, its making me lazy about hand cutting anything.. haha

Thanks guys!!

Honestly, I haven't dove very far into the settings...  But first thing I did was pull the blade out and turn the blade depth up to the maximum (10)   Then when im ready to cut I use the either the chipboard or heavy coverstock setting... That gives me a double cut, and the speed seems okay.. One tip I figured out early on is to inspect the cuts before ejecting the cutting mat. If for some reason its not deep enough you can just hit cut again, and it will cut right on top. This gives you a quadruple cut, which I have been doing on intricate .020 parts and it seems to help get them out. Its an easy machine to use once you get the hang of it, its making me lazy about hand cutting anything.. haha

Thanks bud. I use it for shirts and stickers for my wife's fitness company so I know how good it is...just never thought about using it for models yet so I'm extremely excited to get some scratch building done now :D

Impressive work so far, especially taking into consideration the methods used. Not that it would be any less impressive otherwise…. But you are covering some new frontiers here (which gives me ideas my wife will definitely not like).

I can't wait to see this finished. 

Thanks guys! I am quite happy with how it is progressing!

Nice work! What is the source of the small screw heads on the engine?

Thank you Steve, they are from a long discontinued Model Car Garage Bolt/Nut and Screw Head set, it was the connection-less one on the rubber backer.

I ordered up some of these last night, I think they should be similar.. however I will know once they arrive.

http://www.am-works.com/lw35026-screw-heads-round-various-sizes-phillips-and-flathead/

Quick weekend update here... Interior and Chassis are pretty much done, plan on dropping the engine in tonight.

First up was the dash, needed to drill 3 holes for the remote brake & clutch reservoirs:

Then make the resivoirs.. 1/8" acrylic rod on the lathe:

Then some caps:

Next up was the DigiDash and Center console, started off in illustrator, drawing all the pieces and parts:

Sent to the cutter with .010 loaded up:

Painted, Decal-ed and Future-ed

Same with the Center Console... Scale Production shift gate, Straight pin shift knob, S&S hex nuts with wire for toggles, and a random P/E piece as the start button:

Seat belts with the crazy modeler FXX P/E hardware.. belts are .005 styrene scuffed in one direction with coarse sandpaper:

Finally all together and assembled!  I filled the reservoirs with future tinted with some yellow and purple acrylic paint...They turned out a little to big in hindsight (both tall and diameter)  but i still like the little added detail:

And then finally the chassis assembly.. which was quite easy to this point... its mostly covered with the belly pan:

One little fun detail i did because I could... Swaybar links!  I picked up a set of micro O-Rings and the smallest size slips perfectly over a straight pin.. so i stacked them up and made links.. I will add a Photo-Etched boltheads to the pinheads later as a final detail. 

Link to O-Ring set... they really are tiny-tiny.. and come in quite handy.

http://www.banggood.com/Mini-Small-Rubber-Washer-O-Ring-Watch-Crown-Waterproof-Watches-Seals-p-72731.html

C323BF1C-C06F-4390-A887-A284D59D00B9.jpg

Assembled chassis:

62B8C520-1E08-4D4C-B857-8B1DB0E6364E.jpg

Edited by Impalow

Thanks guys!

Looking good! and thanks for the O-Ring link ... I have a hundred uses for those.

And now I ordered o-rings 

Yeah.. I had to share that find... for the price you cant beat them. Literally thousands of uses.

Engine done, and installed into the frame:

32B1DBCA-2D61-4205-87E1-54B73AFE434E.jpg

CB2C917C-76F8-4DEA-A28F-729CB7175763.jpg

I "dropped" the interior over it to check fitment, and see how it looks. This thing is going to be a pain to get together, im already a little scared.

06EA8C9A-6B2D-4B4F-811A-DC074AB48396.jpg

Edited by Impalow