Model Cars Magazine Forum

No more Ferrari car kits...?

Matt Bacon

... Still no 991 GT3 or GT3RS. Missing boat there, I think only 1 997 kit? The Fujimi 997 cup car. Diecasts pretty limited too. Welly seems to have Porsche license. 

Odd Tamiya hasn't done anything Porsche. Cayman GT4, 991 GT3 and RS would be welcome  they did 934 so have license for something  

Nooo kiddin'.  MAJOR omission on the 991s.  Maybe now that the 3.0 turbos are out marking the 991.2, we're finally at that obligatory cycle behind and somebody'll get us a good GT3RS before the next all-new 911 debuts.

Don't mind the 488 Effo so much, but I'd just as soon wait for the next thang from Modena in plastic.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

I'm not really into Ferrari kits at all, although I do have a Modena Spider kit somewhere in my stash. And of course Santa NEVER leaves a Ferrari in my driveway on Christmas Eve either after all these years. I was kinda hoping for this one............................. Ferrari_zps3gmbcm5f.jpg

What car? ;)

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

Before this thread strays way off topic... Is anyone of an opinion that Revell will still work on renewing their licensing agreements with Ferrari and eventually complete the release of announced kits (especially the 250 SWB), or is this the final nail in the coffin on that tool, so to speak?

I'm not really into Ferrari kits at all, although I do have a Modena Spider kit somewhere in my stash. And of course Santa NEVER leaves a Ferrari in my driveway on Christmas Eve either after all these years. I was kinda hoping for this one............................. Ferrari_zps3gmbcm5f.jpg

Nice ummmmm, Fenders . Yea thats it,,,,,, fenders .

Before this thread strays way off topic... Is anyone of an opinion that Revell will still work on renewing their licensing agreements with Ferrari and eventually complete the release of announced kits (especially the 250 SWB), or is this the final nail in the coffin on that tool, so to speak?

That is what I have heard from the US side.  But RoG is on point, not the US.  Supposedly, the 250 is POSTPONED until the licensing issue worked out.  I hope so.  I do have one unbuilt down in the basement stash, but another might not hurt.

Well, HOPEFULLY they get this sorted out!

I do have two of these......one original untouched kit, and a built one I did about 20 years ago. I'd like another one as I'm a BIG fan of this car, and it's the ONLY correct version I know of that would sell for a reasonable price. Italeri's kit can bring horrendously big bucks on the 'Bay (and they rarely turn up), Gunze's 250 GT SWB while nice is very pricey, and the body shape misses the mark IMO in some areas.

Forget Esci's kit.......to me it's pure junk as the body is woefully inaccurate, and of course, it's the one that turns up the most on eBay. Then there is Model Factory Hiro's version------very nice but price wise is in the stratosphere for most builders! :o

Hi all - I'm a new member who found this site because after a VERY long model-building-dry spell, I did some online searching and found that all of a sudden, most of the familiar Ferrari kits weren't being listed on retail websites.  Couldn't find an answer anywhere, and was starting to assume that it had something to do with the spinoff of Ferrari from Chrysler/Fiat recently.  All I know about that is what I caught quickly on a radio program talking about stocks.  It wasn't clear if Ferrari simply is now under it's own stock listing, or if the actual company is now independent (which I doubt). 

Anyhoo, thanks for confirming my suspicions about the lack of kits!

Well, HOPEFULLY they get this sorted out!

I do have two of these......one original untouched kit, and a built one I did about 20 years ago. I'd like another one as I'm a BIG fan of this car, and it's the ONLY correct version I know of that would sell for a reasonable price. Italeri's kit can bring horrendously big bucks on the 'Bay (and they rarely turn up), Gunze's 250 GT SWB while nice is very pricey, and the body shape misses the mark IMO in some areas.

Forget Esci's kit.......to me it's pure junk as the body is woefully inaccurate, and of course, it's the one that turns up the most on eBay. Then there is Model Factory Hiro's version------very nice but price wise is in the stratosphere for most builders! :o

I'm absolutely with you on that, Bill. Thankfully I have kept 3 original Italeri kits though I would have bought at least 2 more.

The Esci (Ertl) version is awkward - I built 2 of them in the 80's, replaced the wheels with Italeri spokes and tires and tried to correct its biggest flaws - anyway, hand off of this (until you are a box art collector!).

Hi all - I'm a new member who found this site because after a VERY long model-building-dry spell, I did some online searching and found that all of a sudden, most of the familiar Ferrari kits weren't being listed on retail websites.  Couldn't find an answer anywhere, and was starting to assume that it had something to do with the spinoff of Ferrari from Chrysler/Fiat recently.  All I know about that is what I caught quickly on a radio program talking about stocks.  It wasn't clear if Ferrari simply is now under it's own stock listing, or if the actual company is now independent (which I doubt). 

Anyhoo, thanks for confirming my suspicions about the lack of kits!

Thats interesting.

I did find some 2016 releases by Fujimi on http://www.hjl.com.

Also, seems like Tamiya was uneffected due to there pending FXX-K release at the Nuremberg Toy Fair starting tomorrow.  Please, some one post pics :):):)

• 2 weeks later...

Was reading a topic on Ferrari kits on a German hobby site and it looks like Revell Germany pulled all their Ferrari kits from their lineup.

Wettringer Modellbau Forum

Just went to their site and indeed, no more Ferrari products in the modern cars section, but there's a non working Ferrari button, together with other special licensed brands...

csm_ferrari_02_5b14aef5e6.jpg

Revell Germany model kit product overview

Hmm....

Edited by Luc Janssens