Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 49 Ford coupe out of production?

Ferbz

I'm just getting back into the hobby after 10+yrs and noticed this kit is not currently available. Can anybody tell me when this happened and if AMT plans on bringing it back?

Also, is it my imagination or do model companies sometimes take kits out of production then bring them back to rejuvenate interest?

Welcome back to the hobby!

just post an ad in the "wanted" section of the Forum. I'm sure someone will have that kit.

If you don't specifically need a '49, keep in mind that AMT/Round 2 has recently reissued their '50 Ford in the "Showboat" version.

Mike

I hope you find one of these kits to satisfy your desire. The AMT '49 Ford is one of my all time favorite kits. I bought my first one shortly after it was released at the AMT Pavilion at the 1962 Seattle World's Fair. In the final weeks of August before starting Junior High, not knowing anyone in a new community, from that kit I built the first mild custom of my own design with canted quad headlights, custom taillights, two-tone corduroy upholstery and a candy root beer paint job. The completed model did not last long as parts were robbed for other projects. No photos were ever taken of any of my teenage model car builds but then again they probably look better in my mind's eye!!

amt got bought out by Round 2, round 2 is working on milking amt dry, so don't expect any new kits from them, just repops of old kits with more and more flash as time goes on at higher and higher prices, do your self a favor and find a older release of the kit (say late 90s early 00s) it will be cheaper and cleaner then waiting for it to be repoped 

amt got bought out by Round 2, round 2 is working on milking amt dry, so don't expect any new kits from them, 

That's an unfair statement. If you had recently spent millions of dollars of your own money to acquire AMT you certainly would be working towards getting a return on that money!

amt got bought out by Round 2, round 2 is working on milking amt dry, so don't expect any new kits from them, just repops of old kits with more and more flash as time goes on at higher and higher prices, do your self a favor and find a older release of the kit (say late 90s early 00s) it will be cheaper and cleaner then waiting for it to be repoped 

Caution: Above comment is not necessarily the opinion of most posters on this forum. I, for one am ecstatic at what Round 2 has been doing with AMT/MPC's long neglected assets. While some new stuff might be neat, if they keep restoring the old Trophy Series kits back to their original splendor, that will keep me plenty happy til I'm horizontal. I am a big proponent of constructive criticism, but the above comment is just so much tactless and ignorant bashing.

Caution: Above comment is not necessarily the opinion of most posters on this forum. I, for one am ecstatic at what Round 2 has been doing with AMT/MPC's long neglected assets. While some new stuff might be neat, if they keep restoring the old Trophy Series kits back to their original splendor, that will keep me plenty happy til I'm horizontal. I am a big proponent of constructive criticism, but the above comment is just so much tactless and ignorant bashing.

.......Right there with you Dave......

We really need a "like" button here.

I too agree with you.

Edited by unclescott58

As someone who makes a living working in this business, I'm ecstatic with what Round2 is doing with AMT, MPC, Lindberg and the other lines they now own.  

If you could see it from my side vs the way they were under RC2/Learning Curve you would see the difference.  They're not milking AMT dry, they're saving the brand.  

Round2 does plenty of new tooling, just not automotive.  They'e been clear as to their reasons why - they spent lots of money to buy existing tooling catalogs and new tooling dollars can be better utilized where there is less competition from both other manufacturers and their own catalog (like their sci-fi lines).    

With you also Dave....!

Round 2 has brought back, restored a lot of kits that are fun to build. Restored stuff, cleaned up molds, and it always amazes me when I run across a 49-50 Ford or 49 Merc, 53 F100 kit in pile. I mess with them, because they're fun to build. Love what they're doing +1000.

Fred Sterns always has great deals on kits too. http://www.fredsmodelworldonline.com/new.htm

So get a 49, and a 50 convert, and go nuts. Welcome back.

PS, a 49 Merc and 53 F100 brought me back 30+ years ago :)

Edited by keyser

B) For get ebay in less you want to spend your life's money.! Go to Modelroundup  or spotlitehobby  or Deans hobby stop I use these 3 guys you can find anything any time at a very good price.!

Ebay works very well if you're smart. If you're not in a hurry, you don't pay stupid "buy it now" prices or get caught up in idiotic bidding wars, and you learn how to shop on the site, you can save a lot over many other sources, usually. I've bought my last few '49 Ford kits for around $8, around $15 including shipping. 

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Erik, Erik.....

Can we hold up on the AMT/Round2 bashing, please? You wanna do that start your own thread, and don't hijack this one.

im not hijacking the thread, he said hes coming back to modeling so i told him what generation of the kit is the best to by and why, so he doesn't get discouraged after waiting for it to be repoped only to find a ton of flash and warped parts

Round2 does plenty of new tooling, just not automotive.  They'e been clear as to their reasons why - they spent lots of money to buy existing tooling catalogs and new tooling dollars can be better utilized where there is less competition from both other manufacturers and their own catalog (like their sci-fi lines).    

true, but this is modelcarsmag so as far as the general population of this forum is, its just repops

i stand by my original statement Ferbz is coming back into the hobby after 10+ years, his skills are rusty, the nicer kit he starts with, the nicer his end model will be, so until he builds up his skill set again go with a late 90s early 2000 pre round 2 version, once hes back on his feet and his skills are back... well mythbusters did prove you can polish a turd

anyone who says otherwise is part of the reason the modeling hobby is dying off. tell him the best version to start with get him back into the hobby (like i did) and he will spend far more money with AMT/round2 later, than if he waited for a repop, and got discouraged and left the hobby again after only buying one kit. once we get him back into the hobby spending money and enjoying it, then brett can keep his job, dave can get his trophy series kits and most importantly... Ferbz had a nice kit to start on to get him back into a hobby he will enjoy and can share it to the next generation and keep the hobby alive. 

back on track (i wont reply to anyone else on that topic) Ferbz you're getting back into the hobby start with the cleanest nicest version you can find, and just before round 2 is about the best

• 11 months later...

Wow, I can't believe it's been almost a year since I started this thread. Thanks to everyone for your insightful replies. I have since been able to pick up a previously issued 49 Ford kit at a decent price as well as one original issue in a partial trade for some artwork. The biggest news is that I recently learned that Round2 is re-releasing AMT's 49 Ford kit! Finally the wait is over. I'm looking forward to picking up this updated version and am happy to see the beloved shoebox is finally back in production.