Model Cars Magazine Forum

Brian James Trailer *UPDATED* 8/23/16*

martinfan5

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Looking at this trailer, I wonder if it would make a good base to convert to haul the 'new' Pyro/Lindberg boats. They are supposed to be fairly large, but this trailer has two axles and looks stout. Might be a plausible beginning, anyway. And by backdating the wheel rims, taillights and bumper, I could see it as a 1960's unit.

Worth a thought.

The trailer is smaller than you think it is. It is made for use in the UK/Europe and will not hold a full sized US car (don't ask how I found that out),
not even a big European car.

https://www.tridenttowing.co.uk/images/brian-james-trailers-a4-transporter-2600kg-4-5-x-2-0m-125-2323-p11365-3100_image.jpg

The wheels are merely 12" ones.

It all has to do with licencing. With a regular EU driving licence, the weight of the entire laden rig cannot exceed 3500 kg.
The Meng F350 would dwarf this trailer and possibly exceed the GTW limit unladen.

It strikes me as odd, that Aoshima indeed has no suitable tow vehicle in their lineup.
Typically you see these trailers behind Ford Transits, smaller SUVs, or big saloons.
The only thing remotely plausible they offer is their Hilux, but that's an early 90s vintage and there sure aren't many left.

In fact, I don't know of anything plastic that would properly set this off, my choice would rather be one of the Welly/NEX
diecast Land/Range Rovers, which are actually quite good.

Also, I can't see how this trailer could possibly be backdated to anything last century or made into something American.
It is as contemporarily European as you can possibly get. All components like lighting, mudguards, axles, brakes, coupler,
everything is EU spec and just to meet contemporary Fed specs would already require severe modifications.
For anything vintage, it would be downright implausible or require such severe alterations, that scratchbuilding is the
easier way.

Edited by Junkman

A typical contemporary American car hauler trailer would be bigger to begin with, since the licence issue doesn't exist,
have the axles not spaced and much further back, since there is no 50 kg tow ball load limit, like in Europe.
Consequently they usually have siamesed mudguards. They are typically decked with wood and also typically have the downward kick at the rear.
The lighting requirements are entirely different and I can't figure out how the brakes are activated, if they have brakes at all.
The provisions for securing the car to be transported are different as well, most likely also due to different legal requirements.
Of what I gather from the internet, they rarely have a winch?

http://americanhauler.com/media/uploads/0/1023__MG_7573.jpg

Edited by Junkman

Looking at this trailer, I wonder if it would make a good base to convert to haul the 'new' Pyro/Lindberg boats. They are supposed to be fairly large, but this trailer has two axles and looks stout. Might be a plausible beginning, anyway. And by backdating the wheel rims, taillights and bumper, I could see it as a 1960's unit.

Worth a thought.

Hardly compatible. round2 says the boat is 9.5 inches long. It would be about 1/28 scale. So it should fit. But not look right either way. 

Edited by blubaja

The trailer being kitted is the one with a 5 Meter (15'/180") deck and a rated capacity of 2,600kg (5,732 lbs)

I once owned a 1977 Plymouth Gran Fury police car. That land yacht with all it's glorious cop parts including a 440 rode on a 121" wheelbase and was 4,990lbs. Meaning it would fit on the trailer. 

I will not debate UK trailer laws in regards to weights, legal overhangs, etc. But an American car, a huge 4 door one at that can and would fit on the A4. It's quite possible you couldn't legally move it afterwards.  But the one being kitted is designed for professional car transport and motorsports, not the casual relocation of an MG.