Model Cars Magazine Forum

Post pics of your fave paint jobs!

philo426

On 1/6/2022 at 9:36 PM, Zippi said:

This is my best paint job to date and this is about as good as it's going to get for me.  This was painted with Rust-Oleum flat white primer and cleared with Tamiya clear pearl.  I've tried all the different flavors of craft acrylic paints, Testors enamel, Tamiya Acrylics & lacquers through my air brush, and a host of different brands of rattle cans.  The one thing I do know for sure that works very well for me every time is the Rust-Oleum 2X gray & white Flat primers. I've come to terms with I'm never going to get that mirror finish paint job and I'm ok with that.

20211228_151742.jpg.7bf48df3cd1ef78f3eb74f3d79c56d10.jpg

20211228_150958.jpg.3f81d1acf5548c77dad969cebd9a4d33.jpg

Bob, it's not the paint as much as what you do before and afterwards. The '56 pickup you posted on 5 September (above) looks pretty shiny to me.

Some pearls don't have a mirror look and indoors they just look dull. Out in the sun is where they come to life. I don't think a "wet" look is appropriate for 1:25 scale. If you micro polish, reducing grits all the way down to 12,000 without skipping any, you will get a really nice finish that looks in scale. But you already know this. I can't get a really good finish on black no matter what I do. So I keep black paint jobs at a minimum.  Black may need extra care and even then a clear coat. The prep work is where you have to put in the work on a dark color. I'm not willing to go to those lengths. I don't like that phase of the build. Use Tamiya "Fine Surface " primer just before color, but give it a couple of days to dry first. If you don't have this stuff, get it! It's sah-moooth! Beautiful paint. Pricey. OK, I'm done.💩

2 hours ago, customline said:

Bob, it's not the paint as much as what you do before and afterwards. The '56 pickup you posted on 5 September (above) looks pretty shiny to me.

Some pearls don't have a mirror look and indoors they just look dull. Out in the sun is where they come to life. I don't think a "wet" look is appropriate for 1:25 scale. If you micro polish, reducing grits all the way down to 12,000 without skipping any, you will get a really nice finish that looks in scale. But you already know this. I can't get a really good finish on black no matter what I do. So I keep black paint jobs at a minimum.  Black may need extra care and even then a clear coat. The prep work is where you have to put in the work on a dark color. I'm not willing to go to those lengths. I don't like that phase of the build. Use Tamiya "Fine Surface " primer just before color, but give it a couple of days to dry first. If you don't have this stuff, get it! It's sah-moooth! Beautiful paint. Pricey. OK, I'm done.💩

Thanks Jim.  I appreciate all the advice.

5 hours ago, customline said:

I wish I could remember 😪.  Hmmmm.....the Cameo is Testors (1/4 oz bottle) green metalflake, '48 zzzzzzz is Boyd's (model master) purple pearl (?), the sectioned ford is Testors extreme lacquer purple metal flake rattle can, the '34 is also rattle can extreme lacquer( gold metal flake, I think), High & Mighty is Ace hardware Premium rattle can ( I highly recommend this paint), the Olds is Krylon ivory (probably), and I think the '40 is Krylon burgundy. I really like Testors bottle paint thinned with cheap lacquer thinner for air brush and micro polish on everything after it's cured. No clear for me, thank you. Not if I don't  need to.

Below is Testors Arctic Blue on the Chevy and good ol' sub-lime green from the spray can on the GTX. I think the deuce coupe is Dupli-Color with clear (maybe Krylon)over it. The altered '34 is Testors 1/4 oz, purple of some description . The pickup is Krylon metallic gold, as is from the can. Not a great finish but a kinda weird color, yes? When I started spraying I was expecting something completely different 🥴. IMG_1550.jpg.c8dfec6bc05548a76b642ddc5f449339.jpgIMG_0380.jpg.29354a27733cf11039594f4c2a284b34.jpgIMG_1557.jpg.d07a96807e8eab2e1a0938d9ebd233b9.jpgIMG_1559.jpg.24b338ec65ac864768ba35c3a675fd23.jpgIMG_2638.jpg.2495ca9e7a8745eb30c7c8dda50e48bb.jpg

Thanks for repying Jim.  Such nice paint jobs and with no clear is so interesting. I never used a clear until I started using craft paint and Createx. That burgandy on the 5-window coupe is sure pretty.

13 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Thanks for repying Jim.  Such nice paint jobs and with no clear is so interesting. I never used a clear until I started using craft paint and Createx. That burgandy on the 5-window coupe is sure pretty.

Appreciate the comments, Mike.  I learned about Createx a few years ago and bought a set of iridescent colors and have not had the courage to try them. I know, that's irrational. The burgundy paint on the '40 may not be as stated. Its possibly Testors dark red gloss.

I experimented with Krylon burgundy gloss over black on an interior for an oxblood leather look. See below.IMG_0478.jpg.97e997bca91b052b0a703ee03e28b50d.jpgthe model A is done over bare plastic and the '53 is over black. Big difference. I knew this to be a method used to affect the shade but now I think about it when planning a paint job.🥴 I wish I had painted those white wall inserts 🤔IMG_3120.jpg.a198a05bb3c1141e8bce8c7c0caa60bf.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2022 at 5:09 PM, JollySipper said:

Just painted this today.... It's the DupliColor wheel paint that I used on the '32 5 Window with their 1K clear. I think it looks so much better on this!

540278031_67impalapainted001.JPG.f6799732a8bfa78e5628fea740bd2e85.JPG

41772297_67impalapainted002.JPG.2fb583e5189a6567e98aaa869140be41.JPG

I saw no one replied to your thread.  That looks like a super nice paint job there TJ....really like the color on the Impala.

On 2/22/2022 at 5:09 PM, JollySipper said:

Just painted this today.... It's the DupliColor wheel paint that I used on the '32 5 Window with their 1K clear. I think it looks so much better on this!

540278031_67impalapainted001.JPG.f6799732a8bfa78e5628fea740bd2e85.JPG

41772297_67impalapainted002.JPG.2fb583e5189a6567e98aaa869140be41.JPG

That's a gorgeous color on that Impala. I could see that same color decanted , mixed with a touch of white, and cleared with a matte clear making a nice interior color as well. Can't wait to see you finish that one!

On 2/25/2022 at 12:32 PM, TransAmMike said:

I saw no one replied to your thread.  That looks like a super nice paint job there TJ....really like the color on the Impala.

5 minutes ago, bisc63 said:

That's a gorgeous color on that Impala. I could see that same color decanted , mixed with a touch of white, and cleared with a matte clear making a nice interior color as well. Can't wait to see you finish that one!

Thanks a bunch, guys! The 1K clear from DupliColor really shines, and it dries kinda slow, so it has time to level out. I really like using it.....

6 hours ago, Doug 1061 said:

Here is my fave paint job.   Built in 2013.  Painted with Centari black through my Paasche  VL.  Straight from the brush, no clear or polish.  This is the worst body I have ever had to work with.  

DSC_0052r.jpg

DSC_0021r.jpg

DSC_0048r.jpg

Hi Doug!

Very nice gloss, bravo!

I painted a lot with Centari in the 80's on 1/1 cars and bikes. A cool paint booth would usually get you a good gloss. You certainly nailed it!

CT

On 3/6/2022 at 8:54 AM, Doug 1061 said:

Here is my fave paint job.   Built in 2013.  Painted with Centari black through my Paasche  VL.  Straight from the brush, no clear or polish.  This is the worst body I have ever had to work with.  

DSC_0052r.jpg

DSC_0021r.jpg

DSC_0048r.jpg

Beautiful looking paint work. Not familiar with the body. Was this something your created or was it from a kit?

On 3/6/2022 at 2:02 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Doug!

Very nice gloss, bravo!

I painted a lot with Centari in the 80's on 1/1 cars and bikes. A cool paint booth would usually get you a good gloss. You certainly nailed it!

CT

Thanks Claude.   That was good paint. That and Ditzler.  

9 hours ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking paint work. Not familiar with the body. Was this something your created or was it from a kit?

Thanks David.  This is the Vandal kit reissued 10 or so years ago.  It came with a mini bike which is what I bought the kit for.  Still haven't built the bike.   That body was rough, a lot of sink marks,  hours and hours of filling/sanding.  I couldn't bring myself to stick those big red decals on it.