Model Cars Magazine Forum

Losing My Sight------Update.......some improvement!

Very sorry to hear that, Bill!! As the others have said, eye procedures have come a very long way over the last few decades, but having someone messing around near your eyes is never pleasant! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Fellas, I really thank you all for all of the well wishes! First I want to say that I had the procedure done on Thursday, and I was VERY nervous about it as I've not had something like this happen before. The anesthesiologist put something in my IV right before things got started so that I was able to calm down, but was not totally knocked out. 

The weird thing was that I could see the probe going into my eye the whole time, but of course couldn't feel anything as it was totally numb, and I was so zoned out. 

The whole thing took maybe half an hour, and I soon on my way back home as my stepmom was there to drive me, as obviously I can't drive right now. I had the post-op checkup yesterday, and the Doctor said that everything went well, and so far my eye looks fine at this stage in the game.

As far as the vision in my eye, it's VERY cloudy, and at times it's like looking through a kaleidoscope. It's VERY red, and aches at times, but not unbearably so. It waters a lot, as I'm dabbing it from time to time-----that's to be expected. Sleeping has been literally a nightmare as I got NO sleep the first night. And yes, I had to do the "head bent down" thing from what the post-op instructions say for 1-3 days. I was able to get some sleep overnight as I found a way to sleep somewhat side-saddle without my face buried in the mattress. They did give me a foam pillow with a face cutout, but that was useless as it's a one-size-fits-all, and just wasn't working for me.

As things stand now, I go back to the Doctor the end of next week, and that's when he can determine when I can go back to work. I can't do any heavy lifting, so my workouts are on hold for the time being. I'm not comfortable driving yet even though I can see well out of the left eye, I'm not at ease driving one eyed. 

I'm able to see the this board from my phone or tablet, but typing on my PC or laptop is a bit of a pain one-eyed, so you may not see many comments from me in the ensuing days. It's taken a bit just to give you folks this update.

Thanks again for all of your thoughts and prayers...........hopefully I won't have to go through something like this again with the other eye! ;)

Bill, I haven't been on the board much. You know what my issues are and how it has affected me over the years. I had one eye knock out it's crushed socket and lots of repairs done to put me back together. You are lucky and smart enough to realize you had an issue and got it taken as soon as possible.The doctors can do amazing things and Faith and prayers will get you through this. Take your time on your recovery don't be in too much of a hurry to return to work. Give your body time to heal. Trying to get back to work and straining your eyes for 40+ hrs. a week is not going to do you any favors. Recovery doesn't come without pain. You've overcome many issues in your life because you took it upon yourself to take care of yourself. Prayers are going out for you. I know that you will be fine with time and each day will be better that the previous.

I wish you the very best my friend. 

Vince Putt 

I'm very glad to hear that you had the procedure and it went well.   I believe you are over the worst of it,  and your eye sight will return as the eye heals.  Amazing the things they can do today.

The hobby needs you with two eyes to produce some more masterpieces!  :)

I'm very glad to hear that you had the procedure and it went well.   I believe you are over the worst of it,  and your eye sight will return as the eye heals.  Amazing the things they can do today.

The hobby needs you with two eyes to produce some more masterpieces!  :)

Dittos to Tom's comments.   Great news, Bill!   God be with you throughout your recovery.

Thanks Bill for relating your experiences and how you dealt with them.

I too am very nearsighted, and I have been afflicted with floaters (growing gradually worse over time) ever since my college days.  I have been warned about things like detached retinas...and it was very helpful to hear it affected you (e.g what you saw through your eye).  I am now much better equipped to know what to do if this ever happens to me. 

Needless to say, like everyone else here I am overjoyed to hear that the operation was a success and wish you the very best as you continue your recovery.     TIM 

If you precisely follow the doctors advice you will recover. A guy at work bent over to pick up a box of Clorox and detached his retina. Pretty crazy !!!! Anyway he is back to work. The miracles of modern medicine.

Stay strong

Mike   

Hey Bill

Big bold type so you can read it. 

Glad it went well. Cloudy should subside, it's inflammation and re-attaching.

Hang in there, stay comfortable, and you'll be down the road. 

All the best from me and tons of others here.  

Magnify your screen to read, but rest. 

Keep us posted. 

L

Hey Bill

Big bold type so you can read it. 

Glad it went well. Cloudy should subside, it's inflammation and re-attaching.

Hang in there, stay comfortable, and you'll be down the road. 

All the best from me and tons of others here.  

Magnify your screen to read, but rest. 

Keep us posted. 

L

I'm doing just that as the font size I've type this is a bit bigger than I normally use, and of course I've always liked the blue color as I can see it better than the smaller black font. It keeps my left eye particularly from having to strain too much to see.

Yeah, I was told that inflammation is what's causing the cloudy vision. When I get back to the Dr. on Friday, he'll hopefully have a better handle on how long this'll last.

And yes, frequent naps/eye resting periods are the order of the day! ;)